Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wings West Kit, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wings West Kit, please help

Hey everyone,
I just picked up a used Wings West ground effects kit for my Firebird. It is a bit rough but I can work with that and it was dirt cheap. However it looks like was installed by one of the Muppets so I don't trust any of the screw holes etc. Does anyone have any information or links to where I can find how this kit should be installed correctly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 332 Likes on 249 Posts

have you tried contacting wings west?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

I have sent them an e-mail but no reply yet. Honestly this was my first stop as everyone on this site has been a far better resource then just about anything else I have ever found.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 332 Likes on 249 Posts

body kits/ground effects do not get much love here.

I did have the lip spoiler they offered for a firebird though, and it went on with just 3m tape no screws or anything.

I'd try being less specific and trying a google search for installing ground effects might give you some insight as to how others do it.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it looks like muppets tried to install it, it's probably the provided mounting holes from the factory.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ame-today.html

Instead of using the search function of this site I use google search. If you didn't know there is a way to search an entire domain specifically. basically you enter the terms you are looking for and at the end of the tagline you add "site:ls1tech.com" and it will search the domain, in this case ls1tech.com for the keyterms you specified at the beginning of the tagline. so to help you I went to google and entered "west wings kit install site:ls1tech.com"
Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Are you planning on installing this yourself? Ihad the Chevy dealer install mine years ago, its not that expensive for them to do (unless they're prepping and painting). Let them figure it out and they'll probably warranty it so you won't have to worry about it. Had my WW on for at least a decadewith no issues. Just my .02
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

I plan to do the work myself and I am not really worried about is as it's not the first stupid thing I have done with my car. My main concern is that there are screw holes in all kinds of places I cannot ever imagine their ones being originally.

Searching through the site I (the Google trick helped immensely by the way) I haven't been able to find out which screw holes are legit other then the ones running along the top of the side skirts should never have been there.

I have to do some minor body work to the kit as it is so I just plan to fill in any hole that will show as I am almost certain that the original set up did not have visible screws. I must have way more trust in 3M and their products than the prior owner did.

Still I got the entire set up, front splitter, side skirts and rear spats for $260 so I feel good about that.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 PM
Teching In

I took a look at my kit yesterday, it is mainly held in place with the 3M double sided tape. Very few screws at all...really the only screws holding it in place are at the ends of each piece. (i.e. the side skirt has none along the bottom but has two on each end in the wheel wells.)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have this front splitter, like the others have said, install is via tape, I like the looks overall of just this piece because it ties in so well with the sides of a stock firebird but install method sucks, mines hanging in my garage. You come up with a better and more secure install method let me know.

Quick Reply: Wings West Kit, please help