Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Modified f-body steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

im surprised you didnt convert to a c6 wheel and get one of them made up .
The following users liked this post:
JJsQwuik (03-24-2020)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's all the options, and what my wheel will look like, but just a 4-spoke version.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
im surprised you didnt convert to a c6 wheel and get one of them made up .
So to do that, I would have had to mess with the steering column, which I didn't want to do, then I would have had to figure out the airbag issue, which I didn't want to do, and then still have a c6 wheel made up this way. Why do all that when I just sent an extra wheel I had to have it modified? Now I just unbolt the airbag, remove the wheel, install this wheel, swap over the radio buttons, and put the airbag back on and I'm done.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Cost is relative to how many boxes you check for modifications. As it sits right now, with just rewrapping the wheel in carbon fiber and new leather, is around 450, but I checked every single box, including making it a flat bottom, adding pistol grips to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, carbon fiber on the center and back of the wheel, so as you can imagine the cost has gone up, double. In my mind, it's worth it though to have a truly one of a kind piece, that my hands will be touching the entire time I'm in the car. So in the scheme of things, the price tag is worth it to me.

Here you can see the mods being done to the front of the wheel.

And here is the back.

So I'm waiting to see how it looks after all the mods are done to it.
Agree 100%. At the end of the day it is the suttle ( and sometimes not so suttle) modifications that sets the car off. If it makes you feel good, it's worth every penny.

This may be one of my favorite mods so far. I'm monitoring results & hope you are willing to share the source when all is done.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you PM me how much this cost? I have an aftermarket wheel but still have my factory wheel. and I kind of miss it..lol

EDIT: Never mind, my impatient *** jumped the gun before I had a chance to read more of the thread and see the price quote. Thank you
Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The price is expensive, but so are cylinder heads, cams, exhaust, etc etc. Figure the cost of a c6 wheel, then to mod the steering column, airbag issues, electronics, and the money I spent is pretty comparable, with a lot less hassle and work, and then you still have just a plain c6 wheel. Look at the cost of modding a c6 wheel as well.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-06-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

All said and done, it's just under a grand, but again, your hands are touching it the entire time you drive your car, it's worth the investment to me.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Launching!

All said and done, it's just under a grand, but again, your hands are touching it the entire time you drive your car, it's worth the investment to me.
I agree fully, as of right now something like this would be outside my budget. But....hopefully if all goes to plan ill be making enough money I can joyfully open my wallet and toss 1,000$'s at my Comp TA
Old 12-06-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

OP is this something you were able to do online or did you bring this in person? I know you said local but I didn't know if you just meant more local than Poland for Redline lol. I think it is well worth the investment and that sample wheel look amazing. I love the flat bottom look
Old 12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The company is local to me, but they in fact ship them out to have them done, so it takes some time, but at least I know the money is here in the states, and if there is an issue, I'm dealing with someone here, and not over seas. Yes, you can do it online. With my wheel, he has 4 or 5 others that are being done, which are going to California.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool mod your working on there, in for final install pics.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree that it's the subtle things that really make a car special. I really enjoy stuff like this. Things that only a die hard would notice at a car show. Keep up the good work man, if I could afford it I would do it for sure. Maybe someday.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay you got my attention, sub'd! Man that second final pic of a finished 3 post looks AMAZING, worlds of a difference from your rough drafted version. Cant wait to see your final product! I was always alright with our steering wheels until of recently, i hadnt driven the car in awhile and gettin in and driving it i REALLY noticed how dated it is. Mainly the size, i truly hate how small the wheel is after driving other cars. pretty much unbearable almost, so now i can honestly say this would be a mod i would actually consider regardless of the hefty price tag if the final product could look as good as that finished 3 post.

How much girth would you say is going to be added to the wheel would you say, is it going to be at least twice as thick as the old wheel?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Agred that the wheel is ridiculously thin from the factorey.

I also agree with the OP - he wants to keep the factory airbag functional. There may be ways of getting other wheels (vette, etc) to technically work, but how do you know if they will REALLY work if you're in an accident? I would not swap out my factory wheel under any conditions despite how bad it is, not worth the risk IMO. The OP is basically taking the worst piece of the interior out to modify it and make it as good as it can be without sacrificing safety or functionality.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I actually like the 4-spoke design, I'm just making it better.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

I commented on this in the custom interior thread, glad to get some more details.

as to cost man at this point in the game its all relative, if you want something one of a kind at this point you are either gonna spend the time to make it yourself or the money to get it made. Something I completely understand, and you car has some very unique one of a kind items already. So Im excited to see how it turns out and kudos for dropping some coin.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I commented on this in the custom interior thread, glad to get some more details.

as to cost man at this point in the game its all relative, if you want something one of a kind at this point you are either gonna spend the time to make it yourself or the money to get it made. Something I completely understand, and you car has some very unique one of a kind items already. So Im excited to see how it turns out and kudos for dropping some coin.
I've owned this car since new, when it had 6.7 miles on it, and plan to never get rid of it, so it's worth it to me. Glad to see others thinking the same way.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Mods look badass, and will look much more badass when its done how you want it. Cost is relative, do what you want and what makes you happy. Id hate to see how much I have spent on stuff like this. In the end, seeing your vision become successful reality makes it all worth it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

I've owned this car since new, when it had 6.7 miles on it, and plan to never get rid of it, so it's worth it to me. Glad to see others thinking the same way.
oh im in the same boat its why I swapped from a v6 auto to whats in it now, at that point I had done so much I didnt want to start over. I got this car newwhen I turned 19 and its been with me ever since.

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Mods look badass, and will look much more badass when its done how you want it. Cost is relative, do what you want and what makes you happy. Id hate to see how much I have spent on stuff like this. In the end, seeing your vision become successful reality makes it all worth it.
its not the thinking about the money spent that gets me, its about the money i spent on stuff that didnt pan out hahaha....it happens
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious for finished pics, as i was originally going to do the c6 wheel sent out to DS to get flat bottom etc. But if I can do stock and get all that, smaller diameter, flat bottom, etc. I don't have a problem spending the money on it.

Quick Reply: Modified f-body steering wheel.