Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers

I'm having custom headrest covers made up for my ride. These are the smaller style headrests in the 2002 Trans AM models.

in removing the factory covers GM has a thin plastic covering the foam. Since they're old an all the plastic is torn and ripped.

Is there any useful purpose of this? I could tape it back together, or replace it with plastic wrap - or removing it all together.

Anyone?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably to allow the foam to slip into the cover more easily. I worked at the Chrysler assembly plant in Fenton, Mo. for 34 years and at one time I assembled headrests. We used what they called 'angel' hair to encapsulate the foam to ease insertion into the headrest outer cover. I'm sure GM used something similar...in this case plastic.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^"This", ...
It's there during original assembly to help slip the cover in place.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

That's what I assumed, thanks for the info!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Launching!

We would use standard trash can liners while installing headrest covers, nothing special at all.

Fun method. We put the headrest inside of the liner, then stuck a vacuum nozzle into the liner. It sucks all of the air out of the foam and makes the headrest much smaller. Insert the headrest into its new cover, and then release the vacuum and let the headrest expand into the cover. Trim off the excess plastic from the liner, and seal up the headrest cover.

Doesn't need to be in there, but may be a challenge inserting the headrest if you don't use that method. Just throw away the old stuff, and grab a new plastic bag to install the cover.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
Fun method. We put the headrest inside of the liner, then stuck a vacuum nozzle into the liner. It sucks all of the air out of the foam and makes the headrest much smaller. Insert the headrest into its new cover, and then release the vacuum and let the headrest expand into the cover. Trim off the excess plastic from the liner, and seal up the headrest cover.
Thanks for the tip. I watch a youtube video about headrest covers (not for our cars tho) and they used a suction method too, but from the poles. I like your idea of the entire headrest being squeezed from the outside in.

Anyway - Grant has finished my custom embroidery. We all already know how great is work is, and this is no exception!

Grant sent me pictures of them finished and I'm very excited to get them on the car, and off to the car show.

They should be delivered back to me tomorrow. I'll get them installed and pictures of them on the custom seats by next week.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

And here is the completed headrest cover for the hawk.
Attached Thumbnails What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers-img_0574.jpg  

Last edited by michaelhawk; 08-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn i really gotta get off my *** and pull my headrests and get a pair before he retires, their truly spectacular!!! props!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I may have to steal the plastic bag trick here soon. I should be getting these covers in the mail on Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers-img_1761.jpg   What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers-img_1760.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Nice set for the camaro style seats @Chrisingermany

Here is a full picture of mine installed, im happy with them!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good! Is that red fabric between the seatbelt and center console to stop chaffing between the two?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I may have to steal the plastic bag trick here soon. I should be getting these covers in the mail on Thursday.
Not sure if the plastic trick would work, or even be necessary, when wrapping a once piece seat like the Camaro's. I would just try stretching and pulling first, as usually the seat backs have a zipper or seam that can be opened up. If you can't get it over the side bolsters and sliding down, then maybe the vacuum / plastic trick would work.

Give it a shot, and let us know how it goes. Seat covers look amazing!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Looks good! Is that red fabric between the seatbelt and center console to stop chaffing between the two?
That's the idea. The 1/2 circle (on each side of course) is glued to the center console to protect it from the seat belt.

I'm not 100% happy with it, but it serves its purpose for now.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Launching!

I bought a used car last year that had the soft side of velcro attached to the back of the seat belt receiver. Owner thought that it was original, but I've never noticed that from the factory before.

Either way, it worked. 10+ year old car, with no scuffs on the side of the console. Might be worth a shot if you're looking for a different solution.

Quick Reply: What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers