What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers

Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Launching!

Default What's with the plastic inside the Headrest covers

I'm having custom headrest covers made up for my ride. These are the smaller style headrests in the 2002 Trans AM models.

in removing the factory covers GM has a thin plastic covering the foam. Since they're old an all the plastic is torn and ripped.

Is there any useful purpose of this? I could tape it back together, or replace it with plastic wrap - or removing it all together.

Anyone?
michaelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
TECH Apprentice

It's probably to allow the foam to slip into the cover more easily. I worked at the Chrysler assembly plant in Fenton, Mo. for 34 years and at one time I assembled headrests. We used what they called 'angel' hair to encapsulate the foam to ease insertion into the headrest outer cover. I'm sure GM used something similar...in this case plastic.
Gearhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
TECH Junkie

^"This", ...
It's there during original assembly to help slip the cover in place.
PontiacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Launching!

That's what I assumed, thanks for the info!
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #5
Launching!

We would use standard trash can liners while installing headrest covers, nothing special at all.

Fun method. We put the headrest inside of the liner, then stuck a vacuum nozzle into the liner. It sucks all of the air out of the foam and makes the headrest much smaller. Insert the headrest into its new cover, and then release the vacuum and let the headrest expand into the cover. Trim off the excess plastic from the liner, and seal up the headrest cover.

Doesn't need to be in there, but may be a challenge inserting the headrest if you don't use that method. Just throw away the old stuff, and grab a new plastic bag to install the cover.
1999nbmZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #6
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ View Post
Fun method. We put the headrest inside of the liner, then stuck a vacuum nozzle into the liner. It sucks all of the air out of the foam and makes the headrest much smaller. Insert the headrest into its new cover, and then release the vacuum and let the headrest expand into the cover. Trim off the excess plastic from the liner, and seal up the headrest cover.
Thanks for the tip. I watch a youtube video about headrest covers (not for our cars tho) and they used a suction method too, but from the poles. I like your idea of the entire headrest being squeezed from the outside in.

Anyway - Grant has finished my custom embroidery. We all already know how great is work is, and this is no exception!

Grant sent me pictures of them finished and I'm very excited to get them on the car, and off to the car show.

They should be delivered back to me tomorrow. I'll get them installed and pictures of them on the custom seats by next week.