Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird issue after installing led bulbs in tail lights.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Weird issue after installing led bulbs in tail lights.

I swapped out my rear bulbs for LED bulbs, and now when I step on the brakes, my gauge cluster lights come on, and when I put on my right turn signal, both rear lights will blink, but left turns are fine.

I like the brighter tail lights, but it's not safe not being able to use a right turn signal, and I don't need to be pulled over because of it.

Any idea? Do I need to add an electronic flasher maybe?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

There are no error LEDs out. Did you buy those?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

i believe you need to wire in resistors because the LEDs use a lot less power than halogens it messes with the circuit, so the resistors will correct that. i could be wrong but have seen that with turn signal LED conversions
Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I just installed regular led bulbs. I thought being old *** tech, i didn't need any thing fancy.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I think anything with a bcm needs error free LEDs.

But like i said there are error free ones out now. I made the same mistake on our Mercedes.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

splice in some load resistors and you will be fine again.. I did that on mine and it works like it should now

Edit: electronic flashers do nothing for running and brake lights
Old 05-08-2019, 05:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I think anything with a bcm needs error free LEDs.

But like i said there are error free ones out now. I made the same mistake on our Mercedes.
Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
splice in some load resistors and you will be fine again.. I did that on mine and it works like it should now

Edit: electronic flashers do nothing for running and brake lights
Thanks guys. I will do some more reading, and figure out what I need to add. Either I'll swap them out for different led's, or I'll some load resistors. It's just odd that the left turn signal works fine, but the right doesn't.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

since its all about the circuit resistance, if I remember correctly all the wiring rungs down the passenger side then over to the driver once it gets into the trunk. More wire equals more resistance (or in this case just enough to make it function as normal) as opposed to the shorter wires for the passenger side. Just a theory but one thats possible. you would likely see a difference if you ohm'ed them at the socket if this were true. But just mimicking the resistance of a the old filament bulbs with a line load should fix you right up.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

So help me out... where should I add the resistor?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Also, another weird thing is if I step on the brakes, my dash background lights come on, like my headlight switch is on.... weird.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

its fine to put the resistor next to the socket you are putting led in. cant remember if you need one for each socket or just one on the circuit for the lights. though may want to pm whitebird00 he is the electrical guru with these cars, and has helped me out on a few occasions as well..

yeah not getting the correct resistance on a system that monitors resistance as a check makes for some funky stuff.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to add a load resistor in parallel to each LED bulb you add to the system. For turn signals, make sure you have one per side (doesn't matter if it's upfront or in the back). With stop lights, one on the left or the right should be enough, since it's all one circuit. The resistor is needed for the old school flasher to work. Otherwise it will not see enough load on the circuit for it to start flashing. The brake lights need a load as well, for the cruise control system to work properly.

If you look at amazon, you can find prewired harnesses that you could just add in series to your tailight sockets. For example:
Amazon Amazon

Make sure you get the right socket though. 74440 might not be it for Trans AM's. Not sure

Get one of these for the rear tailights for the turn signals.. one on each side. Then get another for the brake light system. One should suffice.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
You have to add a load resistor in parallel to each LED bulb you add to the system. For turn signals, make sure you have one per side (doesn't matter if it's upfront or in the back). With stop lights, one on the left or the right should be enough, since it's all one circuit. The resistor is needed for the old school flasher to work. Otherwise it will not see enough load on the circuit for it to start flashing. The brake lights need a load as well, for the cruise control system to work properly.

If you look at amazon, you can find prewired harnesses that you could just add in series to your tailight sockets. For example: https://www.amazon.com/TUINCYN-2pcs-.../dp/B072QCFQLL

Make sure you get the right socket though. 74440 might not be it for Trans AM's. Not sure

Get one of these for the rear tailights for the turn signals.. one on each side. Then get another for the brake light system. One should suffice.

So the bulbs that I removed, the original factory ones... believe or not, were 3057. That link only had 3157 adapters, and they won't fit into the housings. So back to square one. I really like the brighter look of the led bulbs, but I'm not sure they are worth the hassle at this point.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you have to do is search some more... it's really not that hard

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Wiring-Adapters-Signal-Lights/dp/B07C12KQVF/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=3057+resistor&qid=1558197386&s=automotive&sr=1-8 https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Wiring-Adapters-Signal-Lights/dp/B07C12KQVF/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=3057+resistor&qid=1558197386&s=automotive&sr=1-8