Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

2001 Firebird Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, you are always so kind with providing so much information! I really appreciate it!

I looked at your pics really closely and I checked with BLS and he’s using the *edited* morimoto mini D2S in the kit now, not the hella anymore.

And the images I’ve seen of the D2S have a really clean line. (These images are the mini D2S 5.0, NOT the original mini D2S that Brian is using with D2H bulbs.)

I would actually prefer to roll my own, because I love these kind of projects, but the rock debris is what scares me about it. And I figure cost wise will be close if I go with the BLS solution. Of course it means a bit smaller projector of course, but “thems the breaks” lol.

I looked at the LMS option and it does look impressive to be honest. But I just figure I’ll end up wanting more cleaner output and the projectors can deliver on that!

Last edited by ws6-speed; 09-25-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I try to help where I can.

Either that pic is reversed or that is on a RHD car.

The Morimoto D2S 5.0 is a good projector, but it isn't sealed. It needs to be inside a housing. I guess BLS made some housings to seal them inside. However, their website still shows the Hella 60mm projectors in the 1998-2002 Kit. I wonder how the new kit looks and how it fits.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry! Yes it’s from a RHD vehicle.

the blackbird kits for the 98-02 are only being offered in the bi-xenon right now per Brian, and that setup uses the original Morimoto mini d2S projector and D2H bulbs. (Edited to clarify the projectors are not D2S 5.0)

from the pictures I saw of the system, Brian seals up the system in the front and back, but that’s something I want to confirm before ordering!

Last edited by ws6-speed; 09-25-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Where are these pictures? Are they posted somewhere?
Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
Where are these pictures? Are they posted somewhere?
The pics I saw were here on ls1tech:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...3-prize-2.html

But I also asked Brian and he informed me that the front is sealed and the back is covered but not completely sealed. I figure I can sort out a seal of some sort on the back for whatever is left open if I need to
Old 09-15-2021, 11:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Those pics are the Hella 60mm, not the Morimoto D2S 5.0
Old 09-16-2021, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Sorry! Yes it’s from a RHD vehicle.

the blackbird kits for the 98-02 are only being offered in the bi-xenon right now per Brian, and that setup uses the Morimoto d2S projector and bulbs.

from the pictures I saw of the system, Brian seals up the system in the front and back, but that’s something I want to confirm before ordering!
Hi,I thought brian at BLS had stopped making his lights
Old 09-16-2021, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those pics are the Hella 60mm, not the Morimoto D2S 5.0
sorry, I thought you were asking in context of them being sealed.

edit again to clarify that the pics below are NOT pics of the mini D2S that is used in the blackbird kit.

There are images of the cutoff and beam pattern here:
https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...ors?quantity=1

and here:
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...1/post-7439569

my impression is that the mini projectors don’t throw as wide a beam as the full size, but they do still give a lot of good light down the road.

And a hell of a lot better than stock! Lol

Last edited by ws6-speed; 09-25-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firebatcar99
Hi,I thought brian at BLS had stopped making his lights
i reached out to him via email on the website and he responded back immediately and said it would be 2-3 weeks turnaround time
Old 09-16-2021, 03:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I know the beam pattern of the Morimoto D2S 5.0 (I frequent HID Planet and I'm on that forum with the same screen name).

I was wondering about how BLS sealed the Morimoto D2S 5.0 into a housing instead of the Hella 60mm. The Morimoto D2S 5.0 is physically larger than the Hella 60mm.

If BLS is still making kits but using different parts, then he needs to update his website so people know what they are getting.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the beam pattern of the Morimoto D2S 5.0 (I frequent HID Planet and I'm on that forum with the same screen name).

I was wondering about how BLS sealed the Morimoto D2S 5.0 into a housing instead of the Hella 60mm. The Morimoto D2S 5.0 is physically larger than the Hella 60mm.

If BLS is still making kits but using different parts, then he needs to update his website so people know what they are getting.
Sorry for the confusion. I’m obviously very new to lighting and don’t really know all the ins and outs of this.

This is what his website lists for 98-02 firebirds:
https://www.blackbirdlighting.com/98-02.php

After contacting him, he indicated that they are only making the “Bi-xenon” kit which is listed with these details:

NEW* Bi-Xenon: Low Beam Replacement w/ Low/High Mode- $550 + shipping

• Morimoto D2S Bi-Xenon Projector - True HID Low and High Beam Projector Function (my edit to state that it’s using original mini D2S projectors, not the mini D2S 5.0 projectors)
  • Main Cover Lens
  • Acrylic Hardware Cover
  • 35W or 50W Morimoto HID kit - Choice of Color Temperatures (4500K, 5500K, 6500K) (my edit to add that the bulbs are D2H bulbs)
  • Stainless Hardware
  • Upgraded HID Relay Harness with Plug-N-Play Connectors
  • Detailed Instruction Guide - Emailed PDF

Based on this info, I understood that he is using the original morimoto mini D2S (not the 5.0) and that they have a housing in front and a cover for the rear, but not a complete seal in the rear. But I emailed Brian just to confirm and he said the same.

I can try to remember to take some pics and post them here once I get them in hand to compare vs the old generation.

Last edited by ws6-speed; 09-25-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I see that now. I remember him mentioning in a thread some time back that he was exploring using those bi-xenon projectors but I didn't realize he finalized a kit for sale. Still, the site doesn't have any pics of it and I haven't seen any elsewhere. I also wonder why he won't post the instructions on the website and makes them available via email only.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing and honestly would have liked to see some pics and instructions.

ultimately it didn’t bother me because I’m sure that it’s going to be easy enough to install, and definitely easier than me trying to fab everything up.

I could have definitely done the brackets like you’ve done with some time and your excellent info, but there’s no way I could have created a deal for the front, so I figured what the heck

like I said, I’ll try to remember to post pics of everything for the community to see once I get the equipment
Old 09-16-2021, 07:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Yes please post pics.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
i reached out to him via email on the website and he responded back immediately and said it would be 2-3 weeks turnaround time
So brian is still making and selling from his BLS site ?
Old 09-17-2021, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firebatcar99
So brian is still making and selling from his BLS site ?
Yessir! Not in stock, but he’s making them on a 1-off basis
Old 09-25-2021, 01:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Since the links to older threads on other sites are broken now and info lost. I'm updating this with what was cut to fit the previous Hella 90mm projectors I had in there. I just took a couple pics on the car as they appear now. Looking more closely, cutting might not be necessary with these Sinolyn projectors. I'm not 100% though.

So the following may or may not apply. Since my buckets were already cut, I can't say for certain.

To fit the previous Hella 90mm Projectors, I had to cut the headlight bucket frame behind the headlight holders. When you remove the headlights and the metal buckets you'll see the frame/bracket that they all attach. There are bumps that they fit against that had to be cut off and the center hole had to be enlarged. I had already done this for the Hella 90mm Projectors so I'm not sure if they are needed or not for these newer Sinolyn projectors. I have a spare headlight assembly in storage. I should take it apart and take pics and draw and overlay to show what I mean and put in the thread. I don't know when I'll be able to do that though.

Here is a pic of the Low Beam frame and the High Beam Frame. These are current pics showing the Sinolyn Projectors (not the Hella 90mm that needed these cuts). I highlighted the cuts on the Low Beam frame and showed a pic of the High Beam frame as an example of what the frame looked like before being cut. I think there were 3 or 4 bumps on the Low Beam that I originally cut off. The Low Beam and High beam are different, but these are the closest pics I can take right now. Just use this as an example. With the Sinolyn projectors, those cuts to the tabs and opening might not be necessary anymore. If you go with the LMC Truck Housings and LED bulbs, you don't need to cut the frame. Just some small slits and bends in the bucket/holder that I show in other pics in the thread.

https://www.fadingarrow.com/images/S...amCutsBack.jpg
http://www.fadingarrow.net/images/Si...amCutsBack.jpg

https://www.fadingarrow.com/images/S...NoCutsBack.jpg
http://www.fadingarrow.net/images/Si...NoCutsBack.jpg

Last edited by VIP1; 09-25-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I've also updated the original Hella 90mm thread to add those pics and info.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

ws6-speed,

I see that you edited your post to say that BLS is using the Original Mini D2S projector and not the current 5.0 version. The current 5.0 version is larger and has has better output than the previous version. You can't look at pics of the current version for comparison. The Original D2S isn't a bad projector, but the Current 5.0 is much better. I'm guessing he is using the Original D2S (which TRS sells under the ACME brand now) because it is smaller.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That’s exactly correct! I just was going through and updating my earlier posts.

Brian still has some stock of the mini D2S under the morimoto brand that he is using, but they are essentially the ACME projectors.

Quick Reply: 2001 Firebird Projectors