Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone ever used this for cleaning the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever used this for cleaning the engine bay?

My engine bay was looking like crap warmed over, so I decided I would try to find something that actually worked without six hours of scrubbing, and I think I did:

Foamy Engine Brite:

I sprayed this stuff everywhere (used the whole can), all over everything. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, and sprayed it off with water. All that was left was a shiny amuminium block, and squeeky-clean everything else. Lots of grease and grime that I had tried with no luck before to remove ran off with just water. Pretty awesome stuff, with no work.

Then, I followed up with this stuff:

CD-2 Engine Detailer

Its like an armor-all that isn't a huge greasy dust magnet. Just sprayed it on EVERYTHING I could spray, and shut the hood and started it up, and turned on the AC (to make the fans stay on longer). After about 10-15 minutes or so, I opened it up, wiped off the areas that were still wet (crevices that the stuff ran into mostly), and I cant believe my eyes, its like it just came off the assembly line.

All for about 5 bucks.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

pics would be good. I need to clean my motor and if this will save me some effort then Im willing to try it
Old 07-17-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

^ werd. why did you turn on the ac? do dry off the engine detailer?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Did u just pick this stuff up at checkers? Im interested.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

I use the exact same steps. I can not believe how good it came out. I do mine once a month, cause its sooo easy to clean.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

All this sounds great. My question is a little less specific to the cleaning goods. More the cleaning process. How do you avoid getting water/cleaner on your electrical components(coil packs/plug wires etc.)? This concern of mine is the main reason why I haven't really taken the time to shine mine up. I tried detailing the engine bay of my last car and ended up having some slight ignition problems afterwards, and I was very cautious.

Justin
Old 07-18-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use the "gunk" all the time. You can spray EVERYTHING in the engine compartment on our cars- the only thing I avoid is the computer.

This is the process I use- works awesome-

1. Make sure engine is cool.
2. Spray everything in the engine bay with the engine cleaner- put a towel or rag over the computer (I don't put a towel- I just avoid dousing the computer)
3. Let it sit for about 10 minutes- you can scrub really grimy areas with a brush/toothbrush.
4. Hose everything off
5. Start the car and do a quick drive around the block (this burns off the water and the driving dissipates any big puddles of water on the engine)
6. Dry off any remaining water with a towel.
7. Spray the **** out of the engine bay with WD40.- (prevents grime from sticking in the future, makes all the plastic pieces look new, protects alum & steel from corrosion)
8- Apply some armor all to the hoses
9- wipe off any excess
10- enjoy!
Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna half to try that...mines getting really dirty..and i was worreid about washing under the hood my last vehicle had an unvented opti..and the first time i washed it it cost me about 400$ ..
Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also get CD2's degreaser, which also works well.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok I just went and bought a can of the engine cleaner. Ill try it this weekend and see how I like it. My engine really needs to be cleaned up.

Just a question about the WD-40. wouldnt it make the dirt stick more? Im sure it would wash off faster but I would think it would attract the dirt
Old 07-20-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought the same thing about the WD40- but for some reason it doesn't seem to make the dirt stick.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dirt will stick to a motor covered with WD-40 better than one without. But when it comes time to wash the dirt off next time, the dirt will come off of the motor sprayed with WD-40 a lot easier.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Gunk also makes Citrus Engine Brite that works like the CD2. It will both clean/degrease and give that shiney new wet look without attracting dirt. Just a heads up since CD2 can be hard to find in some areas.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know I'm raising this thread from the dead, but anyone know where I can purchase this stuff?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by glitch77
My engine bay was looking like crap warmed over, so I decided I would try to find something that actually worked without six hours of scrubbing, and I think I did:

Foamy Engine Brite:

I sprayed this stuff everywhere (used the whole can), all over everything. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, and sprayed it off with water. All that was left was a shiny amuminium block, and squeeky-clean everything else. Lots of grease and grime that I had tried with no luck before to remove ran off with just water. Pretty awesome stuff, with no work.

Then, I followed up with this stuff:

CD-2 Engine Detailer

Its like an armor-all that isn't a huge greasy dust magnet. Just sprayed it on EVERYTHING I could spray, and shut the hood and started it up, and turned on the AC (to make the fans stay on longer). After about 10-15 minutes or so, I opened it up, wiped off the areas that were still wet (crevices that the stuff ran into mostly), and I cant believe my eyes, its like it just came off the assembly line.

All for about 5 bucks.

Check out this thred.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/295708-cleaned-engine-bay-finally.html

This is my post with before and after pics from last year when I used the same two products. Awesome stuff.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

I use it but i focus it on specific parts. I rinse it with a spray bottle filled with water.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Gunk also makes Citrus Engine Brite that works like the CD2. It will both clean/degrease and give that shiney new wet look without attracting dirt. Just a heads up since CD2 can be hard to find in some areas.

and holy fkk this thread is almost 2 years old!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever used this for cleaning the engine bay?