Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dashboard cleaning and maintaining on Fbodies

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Dashboard cleaning and maintaining on Fbodies

Hey guys, hope you’re doing well.

I want to clean, maintain and prevent any cracks on the dashboard of my 2002 WS6. I’m parking it in the shade at all times and putting a sunshade on the windshield whenever I park it over night. Tinted windows will be in the future for sure because I live overseas in UAE 🇦🇪 as it gets really hot during summers but right now the weather is really nice and it’s the beginning of winter season here.

But what is the dashboard material even made of? I don’t know if it’s rubber, plastic, vinyl or leather wrapped. I’ve also noticed that the dashboard is split in to 2 separate pieces ( upper dash where the big vent is located) and the dash where it says SRS airbag on the passenger side along with the rest but are they both the same material? Please see the attached pic.

please forgive my ignorance but I’m fairly new to this platform. And trying my best to learn from your experience.

Thank you

Last edited by d-mob; 10-27-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

303 is always popular for the interior to protect it. Cleaning the area first will always yield the best results to prep the surface. You should be able to find Griot's Interior Cleaner locally as well as a bottle of 303. Be sure to wipe off any excess 303 product so it does not reflect off the glass.

The following users liked this post:
d-mob (10-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
303 is always popular for the interior to protect it. Cleaning the area first will always yield the best results to prep the surface. You should be able to find Griot's Interior Cleaner locally as well as a bottle of 303. Be sure to wipe off any excess 303 product so it does not reflect off the glass.
Excellent advice, and I agree with the recommendations. 303 Protectant is my product of choice for any interior (and even most exterior) surface that includes vinyl, rubber, or various plastics (only exception being clear plastic, such as the gauge cluster - I wouldn't use it on that). As mentioned above, you'll want to apply this to a clean surface and buff off any residue after application. I use this product on every car I own, from the original vinyl tops on my ~50 year old cars to the modern dash in my daily driver and everything in-between.

But I'm not sure if the OP will find any of this stuff "locally" due to his location overseas. He may have to order it. The only local place that sells original 303 Protectant, even in my area, is AutoZone.
d-mob (10-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I only use 303 on my dash. Stuff is great! Not sure what else I would be comfortable spraying on that fragile dash pad.
d-mob (10-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Guz
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Excellent advice, and I agree with the recommendations. 303 Protectant is my product of choice for any interior (and even most exterior) surface that includes vinyl, rubber, or various plastics (only exception being clear plastic, such as the gauge cluster - I wouldn't use it on that). As mentioned above, you'll want to apply this to a clean surface and buff off any residue after application. I use this product on every car I own, from the original vinyl tops on my ~50 year old cars to the modern dash in my daily driver and everything in-between.

But I'm not sure if the OP will find any of this stuff "locally" due to his location overseas. He may have to order it. The only local place that sells original 303 Protectant, even in my area, is AutoZone.
Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
I only use 303 on my dash. Stuff is great! Not sure what else I would be comfortable spraying on that fragile dash pad.

Thank you all for your replies 👍

unfortunately, the griots garage interior cleaner is more than $30 on Amazon for the region that I’m in. but the 303 protectant is fairly cheap.

how about this, I have chemical guys nonsense invisible super cleaner,I can dilute it and use it on the dashboard to clean and prep it before applying 303 aerospace protectant. Please inform me if you think it’s a safe thing to do.
plus what kind of material are these dashboard La made of?

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks again

Old 10-28-2023, 03:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

^ Not sure on the Chemical Guys cleaning product, I've never used it, but it's probably OK on most surfaces - maybe not leather though. Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is another option that's perfectly safe, I've used it many times as a prep cleaner for the interior (unless the interior is super dirty, then I use other options - Simple Green being the most aggressive and I probably wouldn't use that on leather). The dash is not leather, it's various types of plastic and vinyl throughout. The steering wheel rim, shifter handle, and seating surfaces are the only leather.
d-mob (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:34 AM
Launching!

^ Not sure on the Chemical Guys cleaning product, I've never used it, but it's probably OK on most surfaces - maybe not leather though. Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is another option that's perfectly safe, I've used it many times as a prep cleaner for the interior (unless the interior is super dirty, then I use other options - Simple Green being the most aggressive and I probably wouldn't use that on leather). The dash is not leather, it's various types of plastic and vinyl throughout. The steering wheel rim, shifter handle, and seating surfaces are the only leather.

Thanks Brother 👍😊 so here’s what I’m thinking, spray a safe to use interior cleaner on a microfiber cloth and clean and prep the surface of the dashboard, then I’m not sure how to apply 303 protectant, is it better to use a microfiber applicator or just spray some on a microfiber cloth and wipe? And do I buff off the 303 immediately after applying it or do I have to wait a couple of minutes?

thanks again
Old 10-28-2023, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by d-mob
Thanks Brother 👍😊 so here’s what I’m thinking, spray a safe to use interior cleaner on a microfiber cloth and clean and prep the surface of the dashboard, then I’m not sure how to apply 303 protectant, is it better to use a microfiber applicator or just spray some on a microfiber cloth and wipe? And do I buff off the 303 immediately after applying it or do I have to wait a couple of minutes?

thanks again
I generally handle the cleaning part just like you mentioned above: spray the cleaner onto a microfiber towel and then wipe down the surfaces.

For 303 application I use a foam applicator (spray it on the applicator, then apply to the surface). There is less product waste with the foam as it doesn't take nearly as much to saturate. I will apply it to one section of the interior (like the dash, or a whole door panel, etc.) and then buff off the residue with a microfiber towel - so yes, I leave it sit for a couple of minutes.
d-mob (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I generally handle the cleaning part just like you mentioned above: spray the cleaner onto a microfiber towel and then wipe down the surfaces.

For 303 application I use a foam applicator (spray it on the applicator, then apply to the surface). There is less product waste with the foam as it doesn't take nearly as much to saturate. I will apply it to one section of the interior (like the dash, or a whole door panel, etc.) and then buff off the residue with a microfiber towel - so yes, I leave it sit for a couple of minutes.
got it 👍 seems like the best method to follow.
thanks again brother, much appreciated.

in the meantime, I’ll give you a before and after pics of what I did last night to the rear Pontiac lettering. They should’ve came like this from the factory. My cars’s white so it’s pretty difficult to see the Pontiac lettering in the rear. Because I live overseas, there aren’t many T/A’s in the country. One time I was pumping gas ⛽️ in the T/A and a gentleman asked me if it’s a Cadillac or a Buick 😅😳

these subtle changes like this one really makes these cars pop.got the lettering from emblempros. Plastic ones not vinyl. but I didn’t know how to install the Pontiac lettering on the driver side headlight, and I’m afraid I might have messed them up. got it from Brent Franker, what a nice gentleman and a big F body enthusiast.

Last edited by d-mob; 10-28-2023 at 12:29 PM.
NC01TA (11-01-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Quick question guys, does the 303 protectant has to be the automotive one or can I use the white bottle? It does say that you can use it on plastic , vinyl, PVC, synthetic and natural rubber.

reason I’m asking is that the automotive one costs more than double the regular white bottle where I live from Amazon.

thank you

Old 10-30-2023, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I've never used the white bottle you have pictured above, but part of the reason for the price difference is likely the size of the bottle. The blue one is bigger so you're getting more product.

Many years ago, when 303 Aerospace Protectant was first introduced, it was only sold in one type of bottle. It was different from either of the ones above, but it was the same product. I'm not sure if there is any actual difference in the two above, other than fluid size. I suppose you could contact them and ask.
d-mob (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 03:28 PM
Launching!

I've never used the white bottle you have pictured above, but part of the reason for the price difference is likely the size of the bottle. The blue one is bigger so you're getting more product.

Many years ago, when 303 Aerospace Protectant was first introduced, it was only sold in one type of bottle. It was different from either of the ones above, but it was the same product. I'm not sure if there is any actual difference in the two above, other than fluid size. I suppose you could contact them and ask.
you’re right about the bottle size, I didn’t even notice that. I’ll probably get the automotive one just to be on the safe side. I appreciate it 👍😊. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.
NC01TA (11-01-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

you’re right about the bottle size, I didn’t even notice that. I’ll probably get the automotive one just to be on the safe side. I appreciate it 👍😊. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.
d-mob (10-30-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Such wonderful help here. It's interesting that I have never used 303 but stick to the usual Mother's, Meguiar's, and Armor-all products. Never an issue with any of my cars for decades and decades, from foreign cars to my F-bodies. Never a dash crack or a problem and I used to live in Florida too where the summer sun is almost as intense as in the Middle East..My wife used to take the 1996 Formula to work several days a week out in that brutal sun and no cracking. The cars were always garage kept however and still are to this day here in North Carolina. I've owned my current Trans Am since new.
I believe another key to interior longevity is not getting lax with applications. Marking it down on a calendar or notepad will keep too much time from passing by between applications. I get stunned at times how quick the time passes. You swear you just applied the stuff yet 6 months have passed by. I try to keep it around 4 months between intervals. I used to do it more often in my working years but I don't drive any of my cars more than 4,000 miles per year, outside of road trips.
Enjoy your F-body ownership experience. These cars have been my favorites. A Porsche and 2 Corvettes are long gone yet the F-body remains.
d-mob (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Such wonderful help here. It's interesting that I have never used 303 but stick to the usual Mother's, Meguiar's, and Armor-all products. Never an issue with any of my cars for decades and decades, from foreign cars to my F-bodies. Never a dash crack or a problem and I used to live in Florida too where the summer sun is almost as intense as in the Middle East..My wife used to take the 1996 Formula to work several days a week out in that brutal sun and no cracking. The cars were always garage kept however and still are to this day here in North Carolina. I've owned my current Trans Am since new.
I believe another key to interior longevity is not getting lax with applications. Marking it down on a calendar or notepad will keep too much time from passing by between applications. I get stunned at times how quick the time passes. You swear you just applied the stuff yet 6 months have passed by. I try to keep it around 4 months between intervals. I used to do it more often in my working years but I don't drive any of my cars more than 4,000 miles per year, outside of road trips.
Enjoy your F-body ownership experience. These cars have been my favorites. A Porsche and 2 Corvettes are long gone yet the F-body remains.
Many years ago, when I first started using 303 Aerospace, it was at the recommendation of a premium interior restoration shop called "Just Dashes". They do really high end work, concourse restoration type stuff, and this was the only product they would recommend for use on interior dash material as a protectant. I remember actually calling 303, probably 20 years ago, when they were still an independent company and speaking to, I think, a guy named Roger who claimed to have been there since the product was first developed in ~1984? At that time, 303 was still using the logo, "SPF 40 for your stuff". They have since been bought over by Gold Eagle, but my understanding is that the original formula has remained.

For all the years I owned my '02 Z28, it almost never sat in a garage. Full summer sun was pretty much the norm. Granted, I live in the north, but by the time I sold the car (2014) there was zero fade or cracking/damage anywhere in that interior. I didn't even use a sun visor in that car, just applied 303 about 2-3 times per year.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
d-mob (11-01-2023), NC01TA (11-02-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 08:13 PM
Launching!

I’m sorry I missed your reply…better late than never lol. Thank you for sharing.

thank you 😊 im really enjoying my experience owning an Fbody. I’ve developed a passion for this platform like no other. And that’s coming from a guy who owned a 5th gen Camaro ZL1 and a challenger hellcat redeye. Unfortunately I’ve had to sell the ZL1 in 2017 and just sold the Redeye a few months ago. The T/A holds a special place in my heart between all the cars I’ve ever owned. I’ve purchased a few parts to hopefully install them by this month. I’m just waiting for the tires to arrive. I’ve ordered 315/35R17 M/T street comps for the rear tires. These are the narrowest tires I found (section width 12.5”) as I’m going to lower the car with BMR springs too.

NC01TA (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I’m sorry I missed your reply…better late than never lol. Thank you for sharing.

thank you 😊 im really enjoying my experience owning an Fbody. I’ve developed a passion for this platform like no other. And that’s coming from a guy who owned a 5th gen Camaro ZL1 and a challenger hellcat redeye. Unfortunately I’ve had to sell the ZL1 in 2017 and just sold the Redeye a few months ago. The T/A holds a special place in my heart between all the cars I’ve ever owned. I’ve purchased a few parts to hopefully install them by this month. I’m just waiting for the tires to arrive. I’ve ordered 315/35R17 M/T street comps for the rear tires. These are the narrowest tires I found (section width 12.5”) as I’m going to lower the car with BMR springs too.
May I ask why you sold the Challenger?? I find mine to be the most incredible modern muscle machine, from looks to taking you back to that actual 1970's muscle car 'feel'. In 'sport mode' with the hard shifts, it's like living in the past.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:50 PM
Launching!

May I ask why you sold the Challenger?? I find mine to be the most incredible modern muscle machine, from looks to taking you back to that actual 1970's muscle car 'feel'. In 'sport mode' with the hard shifts, it's like living in the past.

you got nice taste in cars sir 😎 unfortunately I had to sell mine because I didn’t use it that much and I shifted my whole attention to the T/A, plus it was a financial decision at the end that made me sell it. Bought it used from a dear friend of mine and sold it a few months ago to a gentleman who fell in love with it after I took him for a test drive in it, the new owner is a mopar head so I know that it went to a good home. It was a 2019 model wide body redeye with only 27K kilometers (around 17K miles).
Old 12-11-2023, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Sweet!!! Thanks, and I didn't mean to pry if finances were an issue. Your Challenger obviously went to a good home to be enjoyed.
Continued good vibes with your Trans Am.
d-mob (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Sweet!!! Thanks, and I didn't mean to pry if finances were an issue. Your Challenger obviously went to a good home to be enjoyed.
Continued good vibes with your Trans Am.
No Worries Brother, All Good 👍 and thank you for sharing your experience with me. I really appreciate it.

the T/A will sure be pampered and get a lot of new parts installed so stay tuned 😉 We don’t have a lot of Firebird owners here in UAE 🇦🇪 but we’ve recently started a Firebird Owners Car Club. We have to keep these cars alive so that the current and future generation appreciate them. You wouldn’t believe how many heads I turn when i take my T/A out for a drive.

NC01TA (12-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Dashboard cleaning and maintaining on Fbodies