Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer

Whats the big difference between the "Wal-Mart" buffers and the professional high speed ones? Is it just the rpm's it runs at? I was thinking of buying a professional one but heard I could really mess up my paint with it. But I have seen the difference and the "pro's" do a great job. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you would be interested in a Porter Cable random orbital buffer. It has adjustable speeds and a much stronger motor than Wal-Mart types. The random orbit motion makes heat build up next to nothing, and heat is what makes rotary buffers dangerous. When rotary buffers build heat, it warms the clearcoat making it softer and that's when damage can occur if you don't know what you are doing.

About the only way to mess up your paint with a Porter Cable is if you drop it on the car. They are 99% fool proof and a very nice tool for minor paint corrections. Well worth the investment.

Here is a good article on using a PC: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47
Old 10-03-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

I got a 9" random orbital buffer on sale at wal-marts for twenty bucks.
It ain't commercial grade but I ain't using it commercially. Just mine and mom's car.
Works like a gem. Had it for two years and both cars shine!!!

Old 10-03-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SixPak
I got a 9" random orbital buffer on sale at wal-marts for twenty bucks.
It ain't commercial grade but I ain't using it commercially. Just mine and mom's car.
Works like a gem. Had it for two years and both cars shine!!!

I thought the same thing until I invested in a Porter Cable...there's no comparison. You are just cheating yourself if you a cheap buffer.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Redta
But I have seen the difference and the "pro's" do a great job. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thats because they know how to use them. I believe the walmart buffer/polishers have an on off button where as a rotory/polisher starts at about 1k-3k rpms. Depending on what type of product your using you can adjust the speed to work in that product properly. They are also heavy too, id just look into getting a Porter Cable like Zane said. Buying a rotory will require skill and lots of cash to buy one.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have a walmart buffer already, Im not that impressed. I have used it for over 2 years now. Yea, its better than doing it by hand but still I know there is better out there. I will look into that other buffer you guys mentioned. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

i got a pc 7428
Old 10-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Get the PC and Sonus pads. You wont be disappointed!! As a matter of fact you will wonder how you ever got along without it!!
PC And Sonus Pads
Here is a Grand prix I used the PC and Sonus pads on. It had bad swirl marks from improper washing techniques. (sponge and the absorber for drying).
I think it cleaned up very well. The polishes I used are 1Z Paint Polish and 1Z Metallic Polish.
Attached Thumbnails High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer-swirls.jpg   High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer-pc-buff.jpg   High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer-1z-pp.jpg   High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer-1z-mp.jpg   High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer-finished.jpg  

Last edited by jonw440; 10-07-2004 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

98redTA - these guys aren't joking. Pick up the PC, some good pads (lake country or sonus) and some good polish (1Z and Menzerna are the two best) and have at it.

I promise you, like I promised most of these guys here, that you will NOT be disappointed. You will be back here raving about it.

-T
Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Tom, have you checked out Poorboy's polishes yet? I like the SSR 2.5.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Last night I polished out some swirls(PC 7336) with the 3M Perfect it III Machine glaze that the SSR 2.5 couldnt touch. Maybe the 2.5 rounded off the swirls first, but the 3M MG kicked ***..
Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't tried the poorboys stuff yet - how does it compare to menzerna? I'd like to give it a try...my menzerna suppkly is running low anyways...

-T
Old 10-07-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

SSR 2.5 is very versatile. The good thing about it is that it breaks down quickly and leaves a nice finish when used with an orange or white pad. The bad thing about it is that it breaks down quickly and sometimes doesn't give enough time with the PC to tackle some of the worse areas. It just take an extra pass or two.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
About the only way to mess up your paint with a Porter Cable is if you drop it on the car. They are 99% fool proof and a very nice tool for minor paint corrections. Well worth the investment.
ha!

i just used some meguiar's stuff. doesn't leave as nice of a polished look, but cleans out the swirls just as well.

Quick Reply: High speed buffer vs. Walmart buffer