Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

buffing....continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buffing....continued

I wasn't really sure how to do a search on this question specifically.

I have fallen victim to the machine world now and love it. Not all that clean but the results are worth it.
According to the CD that came with the Sonus pads, it says that if you cannot feel a scratch then it can be buffed down. Cool.
I still have marks that I can't get to go away and they are of the variety that you can't feel with your nails. So what now?
I am using 3M Microfinishing compound now followed by Perfect Glaze and then Zaino.
Should I continue with the Microfinishing or should I go to a medium grit and work back up again?
90% of my marks are no longer visible but there is this one big loser mark caused by road debris that I want gone. It's on the driver's left upper hood area and it always taunting me!!!
Nobody else can see it but me.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

According to the experts, light scratch removing compounds only round off the edges of deep scratches so they are not so visible, but they do not completely remove the scratch. The only way to remove the deep scratches is by removing a layer of paint down to the bottom of the scratch. This is usually done with a rotary polisher and an abrasive rubbing compound or wet sanding. I suggest, if you want to do this, you should have an experienced person do it, as it is very easy to permanently damage the paint with any type of abrasive.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Teching In

John-
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, cleaning fumes and all.
According to the sites supplied on this board, if you can't feel the scratch, and this scratch that I have can't be felt with your nail, it should be able to be minimized enough to provide the illusion that it is gone.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:08 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not an expert I can buff on my stuff pretty good I don't do it for a living but you have to be careful on the factory paint as they don't put much on cars. But if you want to try again I would again start with some thing like 3M's Clean cut and then polish it out with Perfect it then some kind of finishing wax.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

you still have to figure your working w/ a PC which doesnt do miracles. you can fix minor scratches w/them but not much. thats why you dont use products for a machine w/a PC you wont get the results your looking for and may do damage. post pics of the problem so we can better assist you.

Quick Reply: buffing....continued