Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Clear Turn Signal Law???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clear Turn Signal Law???

does anyone know, or know where I can find the Oklahoma law regarding whether or not you have to have amber bulbs for your front turn signals?? Do you think that I could just call the police atation and ask them?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Your better off calling the DOT or State Police (if they enforce DOT). I can tell you that's it's illigal here and a few years ago they used to stop people all the time. But now since so many cars come from the factory with clear corners and such the cops don't even bother any more. If your running a clear bulb in a clear corner that will probrably get you stopped.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dot regulations require an amber reflector on the front of the vehicle, and a amber bulb on the turnsignal, note, the 2 do not need to be the same piece, so that is why many of the newer more expensive vehicles have a clear corner with an amber bulb, but also a second amber reflector for the DOT compliance.

Ryan
Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Im about 90% sure they cant be clear
Old 12-26-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

well what about having the running lights clear and the blinker still amber. Would that be within the lines?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jammon46
well what about having the running lights clear and the blinker still amber. Would that be within the lines?
The running light is the front turn signal. Will defintely be noticed by the traffic *****.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The law here in ky is you can have colored blubs on the front of your ride as long as they don't flash. At least that's what a cop told me when I got pulled over in broad daylight for it. I had red turn signal bulbs on my old truck. That's how all these ricers get away with running hood squirter lights. If I was you I would try it. Nine times out of ten there just going to give you a warning like they did me. Beside's that clear turn signals are Illegal anyways. I know I would love to run Blue led's in my clear corners I think they would look kick *** coming down the road in the day time. Because you know how bright the amber running lights are on F-bodys and vette's. They alomost look Like a amber fog coming town the road.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

its illegal... but i have hyper whites in there anyway. I just keep the stock ones in my car in case I get pulled over. (like i already have) Usually they are pretty lienant. Try it out!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought some hyper whites off ebay last night. I think they'll look sweet!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

In Texas it's legal to have clear markers/signals on the front of the car but not the rear. Texas DOT also has not certified any color bulbs for use in clear lenses as they don't meet DOT requirements. Which here is a viewable distance of 500feet.

Here clear tailights and colored bulbs aren't legal at all. If they are clear and have a smaller red reflector over a clear bulb, its legal.

So here fronts can be clear, rears have to be amber or red. Tailights must be red and must be behind a red lense. Also blue can't be on the front of the car, nor can red. At all. Technically blue HID lights aren't legal. In Texas the lights, whether they flash or not can not be certain colors.

That being said, most cities don't enforce these laws at all. Dallas especially. They sometimes will use it as an excuse to pull you over though.

I don't know what the laws are where you are. But all I did to find them for Texas was to go to the Texas DOT web site and lookup the code. You could do the same.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man.

Quick Reply: Clear Turn Signal Law???