Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hid Retrofit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Xenon is not good for high beams. They take maybe 10 seconds or so to turn on and then several minutes to warm up, so flashing your highs to pass or something would be torture on them. That's why the OEM's don't use xenon for the highs unless they use a movable shield to change the light pattern from low beam to high beam.
Your right Jason about using them as high beams. I kept my high beams stock and just did my low beams. I'm happy there are more f-bodys with HID projectors now.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

well im back again lol, i fix my projectors and i rotated them, now they looks a lot much better than before!

i was thinking to put a plug and play xenon on the h9 high beams, but i guess jason and master are right and its not good, so maybe i'll install a white hella h9..will see!!

i live you guys a pic!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Glad to see someone else going the HID route.

Those pictures in the original link were from my car. The setup is not very good (I would NOT sell it/produce it) however it gets the job done and looks fairly factory.

I would like to redo it someday, and I'd probably try something like you've done, since a lot more cars are coming with projectors than when I did this 2 years ago. I'm always learning more about HID lighting, and of course I learned alot (as I'm sure you did) fabricating them.

LOOKS GOOD!!!! I'm sure you're loving the custom look.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hey I just read further into your post-

It will be a little more effort, but you definatley need to put HID in there. It just looks so badass I can't even tell you.

It seems like you're pretty much done with the setup, but please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any HID questions.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's great and all, but you don't show the two things that people want to see the most: What you used as a template to cut the hole in the back of the headlight housing, and what you used to mount the projector TO the housing. You have a shot of a mounting plate, but no images or info on how you got the plate attached to the headlight housing!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

UA-

If you look at the 3rd, 4th, and 5th pictures in that album, they show EXACTLY what I used as a template to cut the back of the headlight housing.

If you look at picture #26 and blow it up, you can see the JB Weld I used to mount the aluminum bracket to the back of the stock housing. I do not have a great picture of this. It's not a pretty showcar setup, but the JB Weld has held the aluminum perfectly for over 3 year now.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
That's great and all, but you don't show the two things that people want to see the most: What you used as a template to cut the hole in the back of the headlight housing, and what you used to mount the projector TO the housing. You have a shot of a mounting plate, but no images or info on how you got the plate attached to the headlight housing!
Hey man, why are you yelling at me for something I posted over 2 years ago! It's not even my car!

Damn, all these old HID threads are popping up kinda makes me want to get back to my HID project. I was going to make a fixed headlight assembly for my LS1 TA from scratch, but I might just have to mount my projectors into the stock headlight housing and call it a day.

Something like this:

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-08-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

but I might just have to mount my projectors into the stock headlight housing and call it a day.
Here are some recent threads on that subject:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/620634-firebird-projector-headlights.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/623222-ok-what-s-best-hid-s-out-there.html
Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, VIP. Glad to see you taking up the slack. I used to always post up bunches of info for headlight related stuff, but haven't in a long while. You really seem to know your stuff as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thanks. I've been looking into retrofitting Hella 90mm H9 projectors into my Formula.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
Thanks. I've been looking into retrofitting Hella 90mm H9 projectors into my Formula.
That's been done before so it shouldn't be too hard. I think it was Imperator, TXHorns and Skytower31 that's done those. Do you have the pics from Imperator?

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-09-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Skytower used them on his late 4th gen Firebird:
http://firehawk.jonbroomfield.com/hidinfo/

TXHorns281 used them on his late 4th gen Firebird as well:
http://www.afbforums.com/index.php?&...CODE=12&CID=47

I have other links about the Hella 90mm H9 projector in my post in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623222
(#18)

I've been working with LS1_SS....well...he's been doing most of the work.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

You know most of those links in post 18 are from me, right? Plus I'm in most of those threads. The guy on LS2 was VVS6 and it was me who rehosted his old pics. One of those threads is my headlight project thread for my car. Thanks for including that one.

The one person I don't see is Imperator. He was the first guy I know to mod the Hella's in the stock pop-ups and convert them to HID.

Here's an old page of his I dug up. Copy the pics and save them. I'm surprised this page still works. Saves me the trouble of rehosting the pics, though.
http://webpages.charter.net/imperato...wk/projectors/
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

You know most of those links in post 18 are from me, right? Plus I'm in most of those threads. The guy on LS2 was VVS6 and it was me who rehosted his old pics.
Yea...I forgot...

One of those threads is my headlight project thread for my car. Thanks for including that one.
You're welcome.

The one person I don't see is Imperator. He was the first guy I know to mod the Hella's in the stock pop-ups and convert them to HID.

Here's an old page of his I dug up. Copy the pics and save them. I'm surprised this page still works. Saves me the trouble of rehosting the pics, though.
http://webpages.charter.net/imperato...wk/projectors/
Thanks for the link. I've seen it before and have one of the pics but I lost the link to the rest. To bad there aren't any more detailed pics of how they are mounted.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
To bad there aren't any more detailed pics of how they are mounted.
Yeah, he was on LS1.com, then it went away and I haven't heard from him since. I'm always collecting pictures though. If I find any with the Hella 90mm I'll let you know.

Oh, I do have a lot of the 90mm taken apart if you want them.

I don't see you a part of this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=20

01RedT/A didn't use Hellas, but he did a nice cosmetic job installing them.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

Hey man, why are you yelling at me for something I posted over 2 years ago! It's not even my car!

Damn, all these old HID threads are popping up kinda makes me want to get back to my HID project. I was going to make a fixed headlight assembly for my LS1 TA from scratch, but I might just have to mount my projectors into the stock headlight housing and call it a day.

Something like this:

pictures of the backside of that housing?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
pictures of the backside of that housing?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/491749-ls1-firebird-headlight-upgrades-general-guide.html
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=1
(pics re-hosted on last page)
Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frosty
Looks great!

You should start producing them as kits.
ya seriously i would buy
Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

The back may not look pretty, but once in the car I think that looks badass. It's just so clean looking. The one thing I might do is add a trim ring around that area where the projector comes through the metal. I would seal it really well (airtight) and then drop a chrome ring of some kind into the silicone to hold it in place. It would give it that finishing touch. (maybe a fresh coat of gloss black as well)

If only there were some way to guarantee the headlight motors would stay working I'd definetely do that. I don't mind popups, but the freaking motors really **** me off sometimes.

Just watch, next time I have a motor problem my fixed headlight thread will jump to the top. It's like clockwork.

Quick Reply: Hid Retrofit.