Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Paste or liquid wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as any vehicle is properly maintained towels will slide off with ease. i just tried it with my car and all i did was wash it and boosterwax it. MF towel slid off just fine
Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I like doing the microfiber slide down test... it never would slide down the NXT car i tested on. But it slides off the zaino cars I tired like ice.. one hellova slick surface. I always get comments on how smooth/slick the surface is.. i guess after 20000 costs that happens"

A quote from a fellow Zaino user, just in case you wondered. Again, all personal pref.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
i guess after 20000 costs that happens
Zaino users make themselves look like real asses with comments like those.

I use Zaino, and I like Zaino, but some people have no real concept of detailing.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Microfiber towel. And yes, it does slide off after application of NXT.

Same here. I cant set a towel on the car after I wax it.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I here ya, and unfortunately I can rattle off several posts of this nature. It can get very heated --- opinions, ya know, all opinions.

Best method IMO, try each one and judge for yourself.

Last of the comments from moi! Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 06:29 PM

I used to be a faithful Zaino user, but I dont like the way it looks on a black car. It gives it a plastic look... The NXT I can bvuy in a store, cheaper and when ever I want it. The ONLY better thing I give Zaino is durability. I get about 2 months out of the NXT in the FL weather and got about 6 with Zaino, but since I wax my car at least once a month anyways, durability is a moot point
Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Microfiber towel. And yes, it does slide off after application of NXT.
Ok, thanks.
I just claybared the whole car today, and I want to do some sort of polish/wax. I will defnitely check out NXT, being as its more avaiable.

Does NXT have that same "anti-static" quality?
And, I wont be able to use the NXT until Sunday. So, do you think it would hurt the paint at all, for me to dust off the body, then apply the NXT? It shouldnt be all that dirty by Sun. Maybe some light dust.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Well I use to use Zaino and loved it. Ran out of it and was to tight to order some more. I Have used it all through my 28 years of driving. As far as Meguiars goes there normal products dont even come close. So dont even begin to compare it. After several coats it starts to dull out. Have recently used there NXT and it gives a decent shine. Tried all the 3M products also. Just broke down and bought some more Zaino and was amazed again at the results after a couple of coats. I understand that some waxes seem to produce different results on different colored cars. Mine is Pewter and the biggest difference I can see is in the metallic down in the paint. While using NXT and all others the paint shines but looks flat (if you know what I mean) with Zaino the metal flakes seem to jump up at ya. Also have seen no wax that can even come close to the anti-static abilities of Zaino.

And Psyko TA wash that car if you wait till Sunday to wax it. Unless it sets in the garage till then and you dont drive it. You might get away with wiping it down then.

Like everyone said its up to you. What ever you like!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landlord
Well I use to use Zaino and loved it. Ran out of it and was to tight to order some more. I Have used it all through my 28 years of driving. As far as Meguiars goes there normal products dont even come close. So dont even begin to compare it. After several coats it starts to dull out. Have recently used there NXT and it gives a decent shine. Tried all the 3M products also. Just broke down and bought some more Zaino and was amazed again at the results after a couple of coats. I understand that some waxes seem to produce different results on different colored cars. Mine is Pewter and the biggest difference I can see is in the metallic down in the paint. While using NXT and all others the paint shines but looks flat (if you know what I mean) with Zaino the metal flakes seem to jump up at ya. Also have seen no wax that can even come close to the anti-static abilities of Zaino.

And Psyko TA wash that car if you wait till Sunday to wax it. Unless it sets in the garage till then and you dont drive it. You might get away with wiping it down then.

Like everyone said its up to you. What ever you like!
Must be something about "pewter", but I have heard of complaints regarding darker vehicles, especially black. Guess we are the lucky ones.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Personally, I use Zymol Carbon, which is a paste. The main thing with a wax is to have a high carnuba content, and I prefer to have an all natural wax so my paint can breathe. I've never tried Zaino, though it is a polish, not a wax, so it has different properties (very nice shine on almost any color from what I've seen). As far as waxes, I couldn't tell you which is better - liquid or paste - accept that you typically have higher carnuba content in pastes. I'd say if you like what you're using, since it's a pretty good wax, stick with it.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

This isn't a thread about what brand wax you like, just about whether paste or liquid wax is better. Everyone has different brand preferences, if we debate them all this will be a never-ending thread that never answers the original question.

I don't know the answer to the original question, which is why I tried to provide a few additional resources so the original question could be answered by someone who does. www.autopia.org would be a good un-biased place to obtain information if you feel like the Meguiar's forums might be too biased. I just provided that one since you seemed interested in the NXT products.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

This isn't a thread about what brand wax you like, just about whether paste or liquid wax is better. Everyone has different brand preferences, if we debate them all this will be a never-ending thread that never answers the original question.

I don't know the answer to the original question, which is why I tried to provide a few additional resources so the original question could be answered by someone who does. www.autopia.org would be a good un-biased place to obtain information if you feel like the Meguiar's forums might be too biased. I just provided that one since you seemed interested in the NXT products.

Good luck!
Honestly, you will not find a website that doesn't have some sort of bias. Autopia is biased, just with a much greater selection.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

he is right every site is going to be bias about their own product
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

True, but they're not going to be nearly as biased as Meguiar's Online.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

True That!!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i typically use the liquid for the reasons stated above, ease of application and eveness of coat. it also seems to be less tempermental when it comes to how long it can sit and having an affect on its removal. but it is just personal preference. i would have some Zaino, but i cant bring myself to spend the cash on it, the NXT and color X have worked good for me over the last year.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

As far as waxes, I couldn't tell you which is better - liquid or paste - accept that you typically have higher carnuba content in pastes. I'd say if you like what you're using, since it's a pretty good wax, stick with it.
I'm obviously not saying one brand is better than another - just putting up a disclaimer that I haven't used the two that had been mentioned. The fact is carnuba based waxes are the best waxes for the health of your paint. The waxes he's referencing are supposed to be very good. Being that he waxes often, as I said - if he likes it, use it. A liquid wax is easier to apply, so waxing regularly is more manageable.

I think I just used the word wax more times than The Karate Kid .

Last edited by 2002BlackSS; 02-11-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
fact is carnuba based waxes are the best waxes for the health of your paint.
Compared to what?? What is your source for that statement?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

2002BlackSS, I would also like your reference about the carnuba statement? I've read the opposite, that polymer's protect better...
Old 02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone used Meguiar's polishes in conjunction w/the canned canuba wax
#25 (I believe that is the number). I found that waxes build up over time and can yellow. Polishes, on the other hand are far more easier to use and require less buffing if stripping is required.

Personally, I use Zaino on the entire car, and then apply several coats of Meguiars' wax on the front facia only for protective purposes. I do use a bra during the summer months for obvious reasons, and this does provide additional protection that polishes do not offer.

Again, just a modified approach to my detailing. My 2 cents for what it is worth, but actual trial and error (experimentation) is the approach I would suggest. The Zaino actually has filled in the hairline cracks on my composite hood and really accentuates the metal-flake. Again, non-metallic paints may not be as receptive to providing the same appearance as on other paint schemes. I am by no means an expert, but have been detailing cars for 30 years, so I have had plenty of opportunity to try different products. Astroshield, Meguiars, Zaino, Dupont (teflon), etc.

Heck, if everybody agreed on the same product, we would have only (1) product available on the market, wouldn't you agree?