Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't I post some pics of different styles here? I remember talking about them.

Anyway, it just so happens I have one right next to me.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here you go. If you wonder around a junyard with late model cars you can probly find all kinds of styles.

Neat little bugger, huh? I'm not sure how you would attach this style. Maybe just glue it over a small hole. There are several styles out there. The white round ones are easy to install, they just need a hole and you push them into it. There's a tiny air hole under it's cap.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea finding a late model junk yard is impossible here in orlando. i'll have to take a trip to jacksonville for that. thanks for the pic!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

By late model I mean the year the DOT allowed automakers to use composite (plastic) headlights instead of glass sealed beam units. I forget the year. Maybe mid to late 80's? Of course change over is slow. The 2002 Firebirds still used sealed beams. So maybe anything in the last 15 years.

Hmmm, found an interesting article that says you may need 2 vents. One on bottom and one on top.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20020181247.html

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-02-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know. There's so little info about headlight venting it's just hard to say. The main thing that causes the fogging up is water getting in the housing. You may be fine with a completely sealed unit.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

I may do a small vent at the bottom with the vent going down at an angle towards the back of the car. I am ditching the VVS6 project and going with my LT1 plan. I did some measuring and **** and figured that they will still work in the LS1 style trans ams. I will have to seriously modify the bucket where the old sealed beams sat (i know thats not correct grammar). It's going to be an extremely caveman like design but it will work, the lens of the projector will not be exposed to the elements, it should seal up way better than the other design! I'll get some pics of how its starting up here in a few. Maybe start a new thread!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Post a link to the new thread here so I can check it out.

On my own setup I decided to do some serious cutting into the radiator crossbeam so I can set the projectors futher back. I don't have time to mess with my lights right now as I'm busy doing other stuff.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You know, I just realized I had a GTO headlight 8 feet away from me. Here are some pics.

It has 4 vents.

With a zigzag shape to keep out water

and a small piece of foam to keep out dust.

The very lastest model of GM cars have switched to a simple piece of tape. It's about 1" in diameter and breathable, yet water resistant. All they do is mold a hole during it's construction and stick it over it. I wish you could buy those stickers, but I have no clue where to get them.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

yea the banged up headlight housings i have from my girlfriends aveo after she got into a wreck have all that crap too so im just gonna snag em off of those, i had no idea what they were until you said something!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I decided to do Something about the headlights. I gutted all the parts and don't plan on re-installing them.
I'm going to be doing some pretty radical stuff to the front end as well. Front breather conversion, radiator relocation and I'm getting rid of that damned crossmember that's reducing the projector mounting depth.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Well, I decided to do Something about the headlights. I gutted all the parts and don't plan on re-installing them.
I'm going to be doing some pretty radical stuff to the front end as well. Front breather conversion, radiator relocation and I'm getting rid of that damned crossmember that's reducing the projector mounting depth.

That piece is what gives the entire front end its support and keeps things square. If you cut that you will have to reengineer the entire front end body structure from the bumper support to the hood latch. So dont take cutting that piece out lightly.

BTW what are you going to do with your headlight frames...just the frames. I need a set to have chromed and would be interested in them if your selling them.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll be adding a new crossmember in between the frame rails as well as diagonal braces from the fenders to the new crossmember. I'll be reengineering the 4 hood adjusters, latch, relocating the battery, fuse boxes, A/C drier, etc... I want mouths to drop when I pop the hood. It will be very unique.

I'm doing an engine swap right now and will put the radiator back in the stock spot just to get it drivable. I'll probably stick some LT1 Camaro lights in there for the moment. Once I get it home I'll pull front bumper cover and get down to work.

I'm not ready just yet to give any parts away. It will be a few a weeks at least. Thankfully I have a 2nd car now so I can do some real work to the TA.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

I'll be adding a new crossmember in between the frame rails as well as diagonal braces from the fenders to the new crossmember. I'll be reengineering the 4 hood adjusters, latch, relocating the battery, fuse boxes, A/C drier, etc... I want mouths to drop when I pop the hood. It will be very unique.

I'm doing an engine swap right now and will put the radiator back in the stock spot just to get it drivable. I'll probably stick some LT1 Camaro lights in there for the moment. Once I get it home I'll pull front bumper cover and get down to work.

So do you want to sell your headlight frames? Or trade for mine...I will just have to ship mine too after I get the chrome ones back.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Which frames are you talking about?

These?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Which frames are you talking about?

These?
That piece, less the motor.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

As soon as I get my car running I need to get it inspected. I just might have to throw them back in to pass, I'm not sure. So give me a week or so and then I can send them to you.

Have you tried getting some from a junkyard?
Or try this place:
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

It may be a while before I'm sure I can give them up.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

I was just out there looking at mine and you really cant see most of that piece...so what I think I am going to do is just have the top "triangle" pieces chromed....then smooth and paint/clear the rest along with the metal headlight housing. It should look good like that without being overkill. I will just rob the brackets off one of my other cars to send in since in to be chromed since they are easy to get to.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I was wondering why you would chrome it. Is this some kind of show car or something?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Is this some kind of show car or something?
Yeah.

Keep me in mind still when you get to a point you dont need those brackets and I will still buy them.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Teching In

I kind of like the look, but i really like the sleek look of the pop lights when they are down. I've read that the aftermarket lights dont shine very well. plus they're rediculously expensive...

My idea is to make them with a better setup, HIDs, and dark black out lights that will still allow plenty light through them. I think that would look awesome since my Trans Am is black. it would look almost the same unless you look up close.

if anyone knows if this is possible, please PM me

Quick Reply: Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion