Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Front License Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front License Plate Question

How do all you guys get around not having a front license plate. All the states i find myself in require one (i think). I go through MD, DE, NJ, NY, and CT, or atleast i have been through these states several times this year. Next year a majority of my time will be in maryland, i want to know if i'm safe if i decide to take off my front license plate.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

I hate front plates, uughhh !!
Cops wont pull you over for not having it, but they will summons you if they get ya and see you dont have one on. And I think the fine is like $25..
I bought the SLP LIc. plate frame thing......

Originally Posted by spy2520
How do all you guys get around not having a front license plate. All the states i find myself in require one (i think). I go through MD, DE, NJ, NY, and CT, or atleast i have been through these states several times this year. Next year a majority of my time will be in maryland, i want to know if i'm safe if i decide to take off my front license plate.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pewter00ss
I hate front plates, uughhh !!
Cops wont pull you over for not having it, but they will summons you if they get ya and see you dont have one on.
Speak for your own state. We could pulled over just for that and ticketed all the time.

Originally Posted by pewter00ss
I bought the SLP LIc. plate frame thing......
Still illegal in my state.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in Virginia and I don't have a front tag on either of my cars and haven't had a front tag on any car I've owned in the past 7 years. I've only gotten one ticket for about $80 and that was when I was already pulled over. I've been pulled over for something else and not ticketed for the front tag too. Once the cop never even said anything about it after he saw it. As bad as Firebirds look without front tags it's worth the risk IMO.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

I don't understand the front plates.... you don't have to put tags on them, so wtf is the point? I've NEVER been pulled over and had the officer infront of me....someone care to explain?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

DE does not require a font plate.... I was stationed there for four yrs and loved it because i'm from Illinois and they require it.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

a few times my brother got pulled over in his TA for speeding or something and the cop just gave him a license plate ticket. I guess if you get the right cop it can be kind of a no-point cheaper scapegoat ticket
Old 03-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

it is illegal in CA not to have a front plate, but I am just over it. ALso, so many F-Bodies do not have front plates that I think many cops think that they didn't come stock with them, which is true to a point. Per my cop brother, since they don't come stock with it you don't have to have one. I WILL NOT have one either, ticket or not...
Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

I'm pretty sure all cars have front license plate brackets as a no cost factory option, usually already equipped. Anybody in Maryland know how the cops are about front plates? I'm scared to take mine off but i do hate it.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Default Tag

Mine is in the windshield, I put some little cushion things on it and slid it down in between the glass and the dash. They will pull you over here in texas and I believe the law here is that if you car does not come with a front bracket, you will put one there. which means you have to drill on your car, so they are forcing you to damage your vehicle!! arrgghh, sorry that stuff pisses me off. I havn't had any problems with it in the window yet, but still don't like it there.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cops in MD will pull you over for not having front tag. i had mine on the dash, still got $55 fine. front tags suck
Old 03-30-2005, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

These are the states that require front plates:

Alaska, American Samoa, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Now, as for what ones totally enforce it...thats totally up to the cop.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martingale
I am in Virginia and I don't have a front tag on either of my cars and haven't had a front tag on any car I've owned in the past 7 years. I've only gotten one ticket for about $80 and that was when I was already pulled over. I've been pulled over for something else and not ticketed for the front tag too. Once the cop never even said anything about it after he saw it. As bad as Firebirds look without front tags it's worth the risk IMO.
I'm in VA also and I ditched my front plate after I got ride of my 30-day tags. I haven't been pulled (knock on wood) yet and I hope I don't get pulled either. My friends and I have come to the general consensus that it's because domestics don't get pulled over.

A local guy has a yellow Z06 with black CCW's. He was on Diamond Springs Rd. in Virginia Beach one day and two cops pulled next to him and told him to do a burnout and then take off. He was like are you guys gonna give me a ticket? They said nope and he did it and then just left them haha. Cops love the domestics.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got pulled over (Virginia) last fall for expired decals. I didn't have my seat belt on and my front plate was on the floor in the back seat. The copy says, "any reason you don't have a front plate?" I said, "I'm trying to figure out how to mount it to my aftermarket grill."- and I showed him the plate. He then asked about my expired plates and I said I forgot to put the new decals on. He then asked about my seat belt and I said, "Sometimes I forget to wear them". He gave me a $25 seat belt ticket and let me slide for everything else. I have since put my plate on but I hate it.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
I don't understand the front plates.... you don't have to put tags on them, so wtf is the point? I've NEVER been pulled over and had the officer infront of me....someone care to explain?
Serves a couple of purposes..
They're typically nice and reflective, and somewhat flat making a good target to aim their lidar (laser) at. Yeah, they can still just bounce it off the car, but the tag makes a nicer target.
Main reason is identification! Imagine you just got your house or car broken into. As cops are coming for report they pass suspects car going opposite direction. If it's daylight out, and you told them it was a blue cavalier (not many of those around eh?) the cop can see the whole plate or at least partial plate and know if it's suspect or not. At night sometimes you can make out the front tag better than color of passing car. Ohio (my state) has some kinda legislation in the works right now to abolish the front plate but chances are EXTREMELY slim it'll pass. And no, I do not have my front plate on!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orange01z28
Per my cop brother, since they don't come stock with it you don't have to have one. I WILL NOT have one either, ticket or not...
In Ohio it does not matter if it came with a bracket or not, the front plate is required.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ther ball buster here in NY. But I don't drive my car often enough for it to be annoying....yet!!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

So i guess it isnt safe.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here in Texas State law transportation codes states that all motor vehicles have two license plates displayed in the rear and front of the vehicle. although there is a loophole in the wording because it states that "it shall be displayed in the rear and front" But it dosent specfically state where in the front. So i guess you can have it on the front dashboard near the windshield facing out. I see lots of cars like that
Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

when I bought my car the LP had been removed by the previous owner and I just put it in my garage somewhere until a Texas State trooper pulled me over and gave me a WARNING. It doesn't really bother me having it on. I'd rather have it on than get pulled over and then for a trooper to notice that I have no cats or any other emmssions equipment for that matter.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Question