Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scared to install cme valance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared to install cme valance

I having been screwing with my exhaust for over a month now. I finally got the tips on and I am in the process of putting the valance on. But after researching for install tips I am scared to try. I am afraid that if I put it on it wont stay up very long. I read about the emblem adhesive but what if I decide to take it off some day. I didnt know that all that held the valance on was 3m tape. If I would have known before I bought it I wouldnt have gotten it. I mean damn I spent $150 on something that is held up with tape? I am not a engineer but I think I could have probably thought up a better way to hold this damn thing on. Sorry just needed to vent.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

If you search there are a few good posts on this.

I used the tape and it is still on there. I have even pressure washed my car when washing it.

Make sure you clean the bumper with wax/grease remover and use adhesion promoter on the valance.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Launching!

cant you screw it on somehow? i have the 2 piece kit from slp and it also has the 3M tape but has pre-drilled holes so you can screw them on the underside of the bumper. do you wanna trade?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its got 3 pine cone plugs that hold it up also. 1 goes behind each wheel, & 1 goes dead center of the tips. Im the one that typed the threads about emblem adhesive. Everyone seems to think that it pulls the paint off of scars it & etc. The 3m emblem adhesive dries like plastic & peals off extremly easly. It doesnt dry like super glue or gorilla glue. Its not that stropng. Im thinking about pulling mine off when I get home & snap some pics just so everyone can see that you cant even tell it was there. This is the stuff I used:

And here are the results, These are the closest ones I have right now.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone want to sell me thier CME setup?

worth a try. i think it wil be fine with the 3m stuff. the piece isnt very large or heavy, the tape shouldnt have any trouble.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Well, I bought some emblem adhesive but I am going to give the 3m tape a try first. I think I have some adhesion promoter if not I will wait until tomorrow to get some and try it then.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I picked up some more of 3m tape b/c I read that they didnt supply enough to begin with, I took the 3m out of the package to look at it and noticed that it is thinner. It is the same width but not as thick. It does seem a lot stickyer than the stuff from slp. Should I just use the thinner stuff? Or will that be a problem?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed my CME valence over the weekend without any problems. SLP provides the kit with a roll of thick tape, and a roll of thin tape. The thick tape goes on the rear section, the thin tape goes on the side sections of the valence.

Its much easier to install with two people. One to hold it in place, the other to pull the red tape backing off.

clean the tape mounting areas (on the valence and the bumper) with rubbing alcohol and a lint-free rag. Old t-shirt works well. Put the tape on the valence (thin on sides, thick on rear and corners). Peel back about an inch of the red tape at each end of the tape pieces. Fold them up so that the red tape sticks out above the top of the valence about an inch (so you can grab it).

remove the two lower push-in bumper clips. Install the CME and put those clips back in place. Get a buddy to hold the CME in position, and carefully peel those red tape ends out while holding the CME in place. When you are done, install the three 'pine tree' push-in things. Had to remove the rear wheels to drill the ones that go on the inside of the fenders. I installed my tips last, once I had my valence in place. Made it easier to make sure it was lined up correctly.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99ss00ws6
I am not a engineer but I think I could have probably thought up a better way to hold this damn thing on.
For the record, I work in engineering, and adhesives can be a great way to mount things
Old 05-05-2005, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
For the record, I work in engineering, and adhesives can be a great way to mount things
I was refering to SLP making this piece with clips or some other way to attach it to the car. I have no problem with people using adhesives to stick stuff to there car, just not something that I am thrilled about.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I installed my CME valence over the weekend without any problems. SLP provides the kit with a roll of thick tape, and a roll of thin tape. The thick tape goes on the rear section, the thin tape goes on the side sections of the valence.

Its much easier to install with two people. One to hold it in place, the other to pull the red tape backing off.

clean the tape mounting areas (on the valence and the bumper) with rubbing alcohol and a lint-free rag. Old t-shirt works well. Put the tape on the valence (thin on sides, thick on rear and corners). Peel back about an inch of the red tape at each end of the tape pieces. Fold them up so that the red tape sticks out above the top of the valence about an inch (so you can grab it).

remove the two lower push-in bumper clips. Install the CME and put those clips back in place. Get a buddy to hold the CME in position, and carefully peel those red tape ends out while holding the CME in place. When you are done, install the three 'pine tree' push-in things. Had to remove the rear wheels to drill the ones that go on the inside of the fenders. I installed my tips last, once I had my valence in place. Made it easier to make sure it was lined up correctly.
Mine only came with one thickness of tape not a thick and thin
Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Call SLP and tell them to send you another mounting kit. They completely forgot mine and had to send me one seperately. BTW, here is how it looks on my hugger 99 SS:

Old 05-05-2005, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Call SLP and tell them to send you another mounting kit. They completely forgot mine and had to send me one seperately. BTW, here is how it looks on my hugger 99 SS:

Damn Tony that looks sweet. I cant wait to get mine done.
Hey you probably dont know me by my name on here but I am the guy that sold you the lift, wheels and tires for you truck a few years ago.

I will probably just go back to the autoparts tomorrow and get the right tape. slp takes to long to ship I am eager to get mine done. I will be sure to post up some pics when I get it done hopefully saturday.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Ok I got it on, it holds a lot better than I thought it would. I tugged on it and it seems like it is holding real good. If the rain lets up I will pull it out of the garge and take some pics.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

good to know who you are. That lift/tires sure did attract a ton of attention on the GMC. One of the other members on the site flew in from St Louis to buy it about a year ago.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is the best way I have found also, sounds like you have done this more than once.

If the backside of the valance is unpainted it is a good idea to use an adhesion promoter for the double sided tape after cleaning it with the alcohol.
The release agent is very hard to remove, the adhesion promoter is just extra insurance. Any auto paint supply store will have this and it is available in a rattle can.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Ok here they are
Attached Thumbnails Scared to install cme valance-ho-cme-2.jpg   Scared to install cme valance-hocme-1.jpg  
Old 05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Killer car!

Im a sucker for Hugger orange, heres my 69 RS/SS I sold recently.
Attached Thumbnails Scared to install cme valance-mvc-017s.jpg   Scared to install cme valance-mvc-014s.jpg   Scared to install cme valance-mvc-015s.jpg   Scared to install cme valance-orange5.jpg  
Old 05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Killer car!

Im a sucker for Hugger orange, heres my 69 RS/SS I sold recently.
Damn that is a bad *** car. Why did you sell it?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

nice license plates!

Quick Reply: Scared to install cme valance