Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

virginia tint laws suck.....what to do?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had 20% all around in VA. Got a ticket 3 days later! sucks. I brought it back to TNT tinting and got 50% on the sides and kept the 20% in the rear. GO LEGAL ON THE SIDES!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Tint is not like speeding. You can just slow down and be legal again.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GigaHz
Tint is not like speeding. You can just slow down and be legal again.
huh??
Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
half of these people dont know VA cops and how strict our modification laws are. I too once had dark tint until I got slapped with tickets. I run 20% rear now with 50% sides and wont get messed with again.
( I had 20% rear and 30% sides before) the state trooper's meter read my side to be 26% with the factory glass tint also. avoid the hassle and do it once.
I am with you. I had to pay a $285.00 ticket for the same thing in Texas. Screw getting messed with. The car already screams for attention on its looks alone.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Va laws regarding tint & tag requirements do suck & % for the tint is 35% for back glass & 50% for front glass.These limits are for cars, as for trucks with the two side mirrors you can black out the back window but still have to have 50% for your fronts.I personally love having the 5% all around and the strip across the top of winshield,but as you can read in my sig the cost does eventually add up at $75 - $79/ea
Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 20% all around and haven't had any problems yet.....and I live in Fairfax County. I also have taillight blackouts. I even passed the state inspection no prob, although I took the blackouts off for that.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Q-
I have 20% all around and haven't had any problems yet.....and I live in Fairfax County. I also have taillight blackouts. I even passed the state inspection no prob, although I took the blackouts off for that.
Damn bro you're in Fairfax and you haven't had problems with 20%. Don't want this to turn into a cop bashing thread but those are some of the worst fk'n cops around. They pick with you about everything and unfortunately alot of it is due to the all the rice around. Keep your fingers crossed and once again yeah the Va. Tint Law sucks ***.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I've been lucky so far. I also have a sort of get-out-of-jail-free card as well; I'll just leave it at that
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Q-
Yeah, I've been lucky so far. I also have a sort of get-out-of-jail-free card as well; I'll just leave it at that
Awww you dirty dog Good for you bro.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 5% all around and love it. Been on car for over a year now with only 1 problem, inspection. I already had it taken care of anyways since I have no cats.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BryanlsWS6
As long as you have 2 side mirrors you can paint your back window black. The sides have to be 50%. Also it is a secondary offence so as long as you are not speeding, running stop signs, or driving recklessly; they are not suppose to pull you over for your tint and ticket you.
Wrong. In VA, cars can have 50% on the front windows, 35% on the rear passenger windows of a 4-door, and 28% on the rear glass. I wouldn't take my chances on the secondary offense thing with they way cops are in Northern VA either.

With that being said, I'm planning on running 35% on the doors and 20% in the back. Darker tint seems to blend in more naturally on a Z28 with the black top too.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badassws6
Your laws there are better than they are here in CA
No kidding

We get sunshine 11 months out of the year here and we can't even put tint on our side windows
Old 06-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Teching In

To the original poster of the thread, I am going to let you in on a little known secret about the tint laws here in VA. What you have to do is this: Go over to your local DMV and get yourself an application for vehicle sunshading. You take this form to your optometrist and get him/her to fill out this form saying that you have sensitive eyes or whatever. You then take this form back to your DMV and you will be sent a new registration for your car that has sunshading written on it. This makes it legal in VA to have 35% tint all around. It is a little known fact, and something that i currently take advantage of on all of my cars. Enjoy the dark, yet legal tint!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

I got VA spec pics in my sig if you wanna see, dark as I could legally go. Car still has VA tags on it too. I've know lots of buddies to get busted with tint violations. They issue you a ticket and you have to have it fixed before court. Might as well go legal, not worth the money. You're car gets some attention I'm sure and they love the meter. You will get nailed eventually.

BTW, I'm an LEO and can tell you it is a little scary approaching a vehicle you can't see in. That's what it's for. Although I've never busted anyone for tint.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZYAL8ER
To the original poster of the thread, I am going to let you in on a little known secret about the tint laws here in VA. What you have to do is this: Go over to your local DMV and get yourself an application for vehicle sunshading. You take this form to your optometrist and get him/her to fill out this form saying that you have sensitive eyes or whatever. You then take this form back to your DMV and you will be sent a new registration for your car that has sunshading written on it. This makes it legal in VA to have 35% tint all around. It is a little known fact, and something that i currently take advantage of on all of my cars. Enjoy the dark, yet legal tint!
i know a girl here in mi that has an eye problem like this and she has 5% limo tint on all her windows and whenever she gets pulled over she just shows them her eye thing and shes off on her way. (an i think MI is 35% too..)
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by travisnd
I have 35% all the way around and have never had any problems.
yup. that.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00firebird
i know a girl here in mi that has an eye problem like this and she has 5% limo tint on all her windows and whenever she gets pulled over she just shows them her eye thing and shes off on her way. (an i think MI is 35% too..)
Well, I know for a fact that you will get away with 35% all around in VA with the sunshading registration. You may be able to get away with darker tint, but I suppose it all depends on the officer and what state you're in.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
i have a silver 02 z28 with black interior. should i go the illegal route to get a sick *** look, or should i stay legal?? im wondering if 50% front and 35% back is gonna be enough for me. i know it will appear darker cuz of the color of the car as well as the dark interior, but im still afraid i wont be satisfied. i am getting a really good deal for 99 bucks though. what do yall think.....go with it or wait?? does anyone have pics of these tint specs??
i have just done 5% limo tint on my TA and have not been harassed yet..... and believe me if there is anyone to harass inthis area its me....lol True duals....fats and skinnies.....no front plate..... you'll be happy the darker you go. we did my GF's saturn a little lighter and we werent happy

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...77720868vlZsIu

Last edited by Raven02TA; 06-29-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Teching In

I live in northern VA, and HAD 20% on the sides and back. Was fine for a while, but took off from a light one time and got pulled over by a motorcycle cop who was hiding behind a brick wall. It metered at 18% I think. The meter slips over the opt of the window, so no way they can measure it in the field. He gave me the option of a ticket, or to take off the sides right then and there. $80 ticket < $60 re-tint. I think it was one of those "have to get this guy for something" type of deals.

I peeled them off right there on the side of the road :-(

I plan on putting 35% on the sides here in a week or so. I might put my front plate back on when I do that though, don't need 2 strikes against me, and the tint really helps the interior temp with this heat, which is much more important then the plate right now.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put a 2nd coat of 5% on my back glass to keep people from seeing my amps and 3-10W3v2s in the back. Helps out ALOT, but sucks ***** driving. With sunglasses on during noontime, it's hard to see what kind of car is behind me. Backing up at night sucks even worse, but the price I had to pay for security.

Quick Reply: virginia tint laws suck.....what to do?????