Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cup holder delete idea for center console (please read)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cup holder delete idea for center console (please read)

as it says. I have been throwing aroung some ideas, and i was wondering about filling in the cup holder hole ontop of the M6 console. Is this possible, and if so would it just end up looking shitty?? I think of this all the time when i watch "Bad Boys" and Martin Lawrence (while riding in the Porcshe) says to Will Smith, "where's your cup holder?" Will Smith replies with "I don't have one." Martin Lawrence says "What do you mean you don't have one, 80 thousand dollars for this car and you don't have a cup holder?"

I like that, i think the cup holder in the center console is kind of tacky, and very out of place. If you have ever tried to put a can or bottle there, and try and shift you know it's hard....so i was wondering if anyone had, or anyone knew how to fill in that hole. Thanks
for any replies!

P.S. Also, removing the two in the back passenger compartment to...those are sort of out of place also.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

so wait...are you serious about this or....?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ashtray from a sunfire in mine. fills the hole and adds storage at the same time.

Ryan
Old 05-21-2005, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I've always thought a cup holder plug would be a nice item to have. They really are an eyesore.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a prototype chrome ringed air vent from the new mustang I/P, it was pretty cool looking but didnt function for anything. It just kept me from throwing change and Taco Bell straw wrappers in there. Kind of like when you put one of those cones on a dogs head so he wont like himself
Old 05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I have thought about getting this.....

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77816
Old 05-21-2005, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

I usually throw my cell phone in the holder so incase I need to answer it I dont have to dig around in my pockets.
and no I dont drive and talk very much at all, I hate cell phone talker drivers
Old 05-21-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yes i'm serious, why wouldn't i be? I think it would be nice to have a smooth center console...no cup holders. I would like to just get rid of them completley. I know it's easy to shave off door handles and locks, and antennas....but i don't know how to do anything like that in plastic and still make it look nice. I want to do it so you would never know those cup holder holes were there.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

if u cant think of a nice way to fill it so it appears stock. maybe find a creative way to make use of that extra space? switches and what not, or something. but i def. agree with that, its a pain in the ***. unless u got a can there, it makes it hard to shift around it. plus it is a little ugly. so is the ash tray, i want to set both of those up for more practical applications. and since i dont smoke the ash tray is useless to me. good luck, i look forward to seeing what u come up with.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

That's just it...i have no idea how to work with plastic. Maybe you can fab it up in Fiberglass? Like take some FG and mold it into the center console top half....i dunno, i'm gonna talk to the guys who work on my car, and see what they say. I do not use the ash tray either, and i think that damn cupholder makes our cars lees sports car like.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Yeah i have to agree with most of ya, i dont like the cup holders either, espically the one right next to the shifter, i NEVER use it and it would be cool to have something over it. Plastic is for sure hard to work with ( the color and texture), its not like body work where a fiberglass, bondo, and paint all just get slapped on with primer and paint... but i bet there is a way. But for now i think your best bet is to put some switches in the ash tray, and you could try expirmenting with some FG molds and interior rattle can spray paint.... something like this....

http://www.duplicolor.com/index.html
Old 05-21-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, thanks Neal.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Carbon Fiber.

Ship it off to one of many companies that will re-shape the console without the holders and have it covered with something that integrates the interior.

Yes, the cupholder is useless even with a short shifter, anything taller than 3" gets shoved into the seat or boot.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Seriously that cupholder there is kinda gay. Mine holds change LOL...yeah that is worse. But yeah its very impractical to have a cup holder there on an M6. Yeah then if you have drinks in the back they spill out and uhh...its really lame. I dont know why they put those there. And the little flip out one on the passenger side. If you get a large drink its top heavy and falls over, then that little bar underneath can only hold so much mine has fallen off a few times I cant rely on it too much. Yeah they are a pain in the ***.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

GEARHEAD--> The thing is, i don't want CF. I'd rather just have the stock interior apprerance. Do you think "they" (who by the way, i don't know which sponsor you're refering to...i have tried to contact VFN, but they have never replied to me, ever) would be able to do something that would look just like factory interior?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
GEARHEAD--> The thing is, i don't want CF. I'd rather just have the stock interior apprerance. Do you think "they" (who by the way, i don't know which sponsor you're refering to...i have tried to contact VFN, but they have never replied to me, ever) would be able to do something that would look just like factory interior?
Yep. I'll have to shoot you a PM since they are not considered a sponsor here.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:38 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made this for a guy. I know its CF and some of you don't like that look, but CF can be painted any color you'd like. The reason I didn't follow the contour of the console over the cup holder area and left it flat is because he wanted to put a guage where the cupholder once was. I also modified the front where the ash tray once was so he could put guages or switches up there too...

Old 05-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

now thats pretty cool.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

just put something else in there, or make a little switch panel that fits in the hole
Old 05-21-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what ChevyChadZ28 did is badass, how much do you charge for that?

Quick Reply: Cup holder delete idea for center console (please read)