Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! CME tips broke while installing it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! CME tips broke while installing it!!!

The welded part broke off when I was installing the CME tips. How can I fix this? How much would it cost to get them welded back together? Can I use JB weld on it? I am so pissed!
Old 05-21-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Did yours have 2 bars connecting them or just one? I've seen the tips with one bar, but mine came with 2...
Old 05-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he has the old style (and I'm guessing he does), it did have just the one piece of aluminum holding them together. The new SLP tips came with extra reinforcement (just some square aluminum tubing welded in).

JB weld ain't gonna cut it...if you look at the pic below, that is what the new reinforced tips look like. Take it to a machine shop, show them the pic, and see if they can make it look like that. The important thing is gonna be to make sure the tips are straight when they are welded together. Since it is aluminum, it will have to be TIG welded, so your average muffler shop is not gonna be able to take care of this one.

I don't think this picture is gonna help much, but just in case:

Old 05-21-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If he has the old style (and I'm guessing he does), it did have just the one piece of aluminum holding them together. The new SLP tips came with extra reinforcement (just some square aluminum tubing welded in).

JB weld ain't gonna cut it...if you look at the pic below, that is what the new reinforced tips look like. Take it to a machine shop, show them the pic, and see if they can make it look like that. The important thing is gonna be to make sure the tips are straight when they are welded together. Since it is aluminum, it will have to be TIG welded, so your average muffler shop is not gonna be able to take care of this one.

I don't think this picture is gonna help much, but just in case:

Aluminum can be mig'd, so it might be able to be done at a muffler shop, but i would rather have it tig'd
Old 05-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Launching!

I do have the old style with only 1 support. Does anyone know if tig welding is expensive? I dont want to spend alot since the tip itself is expensive.

btw.. thanks for the pics and replies.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iwantLS1
I do have the old style with only 1 support. Does anyone know if tig welding is expensive? I dont want to spend alot since the tip itself is expensive.

btw.. thanks for the pics and replies.
A shop will most likely charge $10-20 depending on how much work is involved. Compared to the list price of the new revised tips from slp which is about $225.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Brett95z
Aluminum can be mig'd, so it might be able to be done at a muffler shop, but i would rather have it tig'd
If I'm not mistaken, anything can be MIGed if the machine is set up right, but I would place a healthy wager that hardly anyone has a MIG welder set up to do aluminum.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe just bring the car and tips to a muffler shop and get them installed/welded. That way they'll be perfect.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Maybe just bring the car and tips to a muffler shop and get them installed/welded. That way they'll be perfect.
Just make sure they know you are **** about it...I drove around with crooked tips for the longest time.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If I'm not mistaken, anything can be MIGed if the machine is set up right, but I would place a healthy wager that hardly anyone has a MIG welder set up to do aluminum.
Its not hard to change over, alot of people have them, i would bet they are more common than finding someone with a tig welder for aluminum.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Launching!

i went to a local muffler shop and i was qouted for $25 to weld them back together and $60 to weld and add another support bar just like the newer cme tips. they will also polish the tips. i just opted for the $60 job so i wont have to worry about them breaking again. i have another shop that is willing to install the tips (welded) for $50. i'll probably clamp it for now just in case i change my mind and go with a different exhaust setup.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

i have a millermatic MiG with a spool....TiG as well but it isnt up and running yet

Quick Reply: Help! CME tips broke while installing it!!!