Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

tints.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tints.

hey i got a question for you guys with tints out there. i went to set up an appointment to get mine done and the guy told me that tints don't stick well to the little black dots on the top of the rear window and said he usually doesn't put the tints on that part, and if he does do it he doesn't warrenty it.
later that day i saw a camaro in a parking lot with tints and went up to it to see the back window, and sure enough the tints on the black dots were comming off.

so if anyone out there knows what i'm talking about, let me know about your experience with it so i can decide what to do.

oh, and pics would be nice.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have any pics, but the tint will have little bubbles in between all the dots up there. You should sand down the dot-matrix before you get it tinted so the film will lay flat on the glass.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't sand on your glass. Have the tint guy put black vinyl up there. I had the same problem with the bubbles, took it back to him and he put vinyl on and it works/looks awesome. No one can tell it isn't factory.

Last edited by USMARINE1108; 05-28-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Launching!

I got tinted about 2 weeks ago and have the same issue. Went back, the tinter said it can take up to a month to dry around the bubbles and if it doesnt work they can fix it. I would just go with a vinyl strip over the dots, should cost about 30$ extra.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah go with the black vinyl it doesnt matter when it dries the bubbles are still there. I got mine fixed for 20 bucks. have them cut the vinyl out and use it as a pattern to cut the piece it works great.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

black vinyl works and I have also seen people do a light wet sand over the dot matrix yea i know dont sand glass but it didnt harm the glass any.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

It is extremely difficult to get that to stick up there. best case scenario, and the ONLY way tog et it to work SOMETIMES is like this, but it can be done...

get a sanding block, not paper, sand the dots(the block just not have enought grit to make marks on the glass.
take your time and sand it well.

clean the entire window very well to get any ceramic off of the glass.

dry window entirely.
apply tint adhesive, i have some it is clear and has to be applied before tinting on completely dry glass. let it sit for about 15-20 seconds before getting it wet again.

lay the tint on the window and squeegee out, but DO NOT squeegee the dots.

now where the dots are at you have to get the window there extremely hot, EXTREMELY. almost too hot to touch with your hand, use a heat gun for this like always.

and then squeegee out very precisely and make sure the conditions are perfect, u want the film to stick with the first pass and once you squeegee the water out whatever moisture is left should immediately evaporate and allow the tintn to stick. i have done it before and got it to come out Perfect. will try with mine when i go to tint it, however if it doesnt work...
ill be getting vinyl.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by half-n-half
It is extremely difficult to get that to stick up there. best case scenario, and the ONLY way tog et it to work SOMETIMES is like this, but it can be done...

get a sanding block, not paper, sand the dots(the block just not have enought grit to make marks on the glass.
take your time and sand it well.

clean the entire window very well to get any ceramic off of the glass.

dry window entirely.
apply tint adhesive, i have some it is clear and has to be applied before tinting on completely dry glass. let it sit for about 15-20 seconds before getting it wet again.

lay the tint on the window and squeegee out, but DO NOT squeegee the dots.

now where the dots are at you have to get the window there extremely hot, EXTREMELY. almost too hot to touch with your hand, use a heat gun for this like always.

and then squeegee out very precisely and make sure the conditions are perfect, u want the film to stick with the first pass and once you squeegee the water out whatever moisture is left should immediately evaporate and allow the tintn to stick. i have done it before and got it to come out Perfect. will try with mine when i go to tint it, however if it doesnt work...
ill be getting vinyl.
I'm sure that works well, but why not just spend the $20 to have someone put vinyl on?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

i like the sound of the vinyl idea. does anyone have any pics of this??
Old 05-29-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tape it off and paint it $2.99
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill get a pix soon for ya my cars at my buddies getting a cam
Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

I've heard of painting, sanding, vinyl, and glue/adhesive. I believe all of them work.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know a place that actually uses an airbrush that they use over those so it doesn't bubble, guess it would look the same as vinyl but I saw a guy that had it done to his TA and it looked good
Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

I have black vinyl on my back window and have had no problem with it...In fact you cant even see the black dots any more.

Quick Reply: tints.