Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

polish vs wax?

Old 06-11-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default polish vs wax?

Everyone recommends zaino products, but I noticed they do not sell a "wax," only different polishes. Why is this?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

I beleive polish is used to get minor imperfections out before you wax. Wax is just a protectant.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

polishes remove small amounts of the clearcoat to make the surface better. removes spiderwebbing, swirls, .. etc.. wax just seals it
Old 06-11-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Correct, but in almost every topic about wax, zaino is mentioned. Why is zaino recommended as the best wax when they don't even make a wax?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We recently completed the whole Zaino process on our car (clay bar, Z5, Z2, Z6) and it really rejuvenated the paint on the car. When washing the car, the water still beads just like it would if it had wax on it. The Zaino products protect the paint just like a wax, but the shine is much deeper, IMO.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Zaino Z2 isn't a polish.

It's a sealant. Like waxes, sealants are last step products intended to protect the paint. They serve similar purposes, but work different ways. Sealants tend to have a brighter and more reflective shine, but with a less warm and deep look than a carnauba paste wax. Generally, sealants last longer, but there's also exceptions to that rule. Waxes like Meguiar's #16 and Collinite Insulator last a very long time, and some sealants, such as NXT, wear away pretty quick.

And yes, I know Sal calls Z2 a polish. It still isn't one. They don't currently make a polish.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Correct, but in almost every topic about wax, zaino is mentioned. Why is zaino recommended as the best wax when they don't even make a wax?
The reason for that is simply people not knowing what they're talking about, and lumping all detailing products all in the same group.

A sure sign to tell if someone doesn't know what they're talking about is if they go around saying there's a HANDS DOWN best wax or sealer, because there's not. Saying there's a best detailing product is like saying there's a hands down best car out there, and we all know that's just not true. There's a TON of different cars to serve different purposes and make different people happy, and the same rule applies to detailing products.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
The reason for that is simply people not knowing what they're talking about, and lumping all detailing products all in the same group.

A sure sign to tell if someone doesn't know what they're talking about is if they go around saying there's a HANDS DOWN best wax or sealer, because there's not. Saying there's a best detailing product is like saying there's a hands down best car out there, and we all know that's just not true. There's a TON of different cars to serve different purposes and make different people happy, and the same rule applies to detailing products.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's a great way to put it. Some products that work great on certain color cars, don't work so well on others. I use Meguiars products for alomost everything, because they work great for me and they're quick to run out and get, but other people like Zano, Klasse, Autoglym, Menzerna, etc. Your LSP does'nt have to be a "wax" it can be a sealer like NXT, Zano, etc. Just make sure you do all the other steps first before you put your LSP on,wash, dry claybar, pollish, etc. and evaluate your paint between each step before you move on to the next.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Tailwind is spot on - you have to know if the color is considered a "soft" paint with a one or two coat clear finish or a "hard" paint with a heavy finish. Bonding the paint nowdays makes a huge difference in what will work/look best in polishing products. Some cars hold up well to wet sanding, others you should never try it on which indicates bonding and finish.
This is where the "wax" issue gets debated - even 3M puts out a good product for certain paints/finish but it would be crap on another vehicle.

A good example is someone in our area used Meguires on one side of a car and Zaino on the other at the same time. The results were almost identical as far as appearance though for that car, what held up the longest for the type of use was the real question.

My Z28 has done well with what I would call "sealants" as opposed to a lubricating paste wax but the daily driver demands a heavier type, it just holds up longer to road grit.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 PM
NKAWTG...N

zaino all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: polish vs wax?