Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Has anyone ever seen or done this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ever seen or done this?

I've always wondered what a 93-97 Camaro would look like if the body line that goes all the way around the car were shaved? (I'm talking about the line that runs along the side of the doors and has that 3/4" strip of molding on it.) I think it would make the car look more "sleek" if the moldings were removed and the "step" that the moldings butt up against were filled in and blended with the contour of the rest of the door panel. Also, I'd fill in the "groove" that extends the line from the doors all the way around the front bumper. Just basically erase the whole body line. Has anybody done this? Anybody have pics?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just Cant Picture Body Line That Go All The Arounf The Car
Old 08-14-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at the doors on any 93-97 Camaro. See how there's a line at the dead center of the door and it runs the entire length of the car? This is the line I'm talking about.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Import Patrol

i think that would look pretty good, if you do this make sure you post some pics
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Remove the side molding then bondo the indented line and use touch up paint to paint that sucker body color lol!!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that it would help clean up the lines quite a bit but I think you would want to steer clear of the touch up paint idea.Haha
James
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

not my car..... but you get the idea.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/462603
Old 08-15-2005, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ritchie

Figures someone would do something like that to a V6. Its like ricers prefer slower.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Launching!

that car is
Old 08-15-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like the idea, id just have a pro do it.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link Ritchie. I have to agree the car is a little on the "flamboyant" side, but I like the subtle yet highly noticeable change of not seeing all those lines. I think if they would have gone with a solid color, (black anyone?), ditched the altezza's, the Big Balla Bling Bling's, and not compounded the problem by lowering the car so low that it looks like you could never get it over 30MPH...then we'd have something to talk about.

I'm gonna do it: right
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Can a V6 camaro like that one in the link make 280hp? The car does look a bit smoother looking without the molding.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

excuss me but....
who ever did that to a camaro needs to be
Old 08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Teching In

I was planning to do that to the 3000GT I used to own, it had the same line all around the car. The main problem was getting everything to stick and not crack. Bondo won't bridge the gap between plastic or fiberglass to metal very well as they flex differently and it will crack very easily. I started with a fiberglass tape and then tapered the edges with the body filler, but eventually gave up, sold it unpainted and bought the SS. I'm just a novice though and better with fiberglass alone, so have a professional do it.

I did get to see the 3000GT later on when finished, the guy took my advice and had it done and painted black. Definitely a cleaner look to either car.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stang killer
I like the idea, id just have a pro do it.

I like it too. Might be something worth doing if that persons car was in a wreck and needed paint, etc
Old 08-16-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Keep in mind doin that, if you even knocked a bumper you would ruin all the work you did removing it, because you would be forming it to the rest of the body, so in theory of removing the front or rear bumper form the car you would ned to but the filler out of the seams....Show car it might be practical, but for a Street Car I dunno, cuz think if anyone ever bumped your car from front or back, it would be liable to spiderweb the filler and crack through the seam....THINK STRONGLY ABOUT IT if you do, but I'm not raining on your idea, or dream, just showin a lil more insight from a body side of things...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd like to see that on a decent car. That has potential, but I can't imagine it being very good as a daily driver.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
Keep in mind doin that, if you even knocked a bumper you would ruin all the work you did removing it, because you would be forming it to the rest of the body, so in theory of removing the front or rear bumper form the car you would ned to but the filler out of the seams....Show car it might be practical, but for a Street Car I dunno, cuz think if anyone ever bumped your car from front or back, it would be liable to spiderweb the filler and crack through the seam....THINK STRONGLY ABOUT IT if you do, but I'm not raining on your idea, or dream, just showin a lil more insight from a body side of things...

You bring up an excellent point. I've actually been scouting around to find a product that would be able to stand up to some abuse and help alleviate this problem, and I came up with these:

http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...uctID=ALSIFLEX

AND

http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...ctID=ALSIPLAST

I'm thinking that if something happened where the car got bumped or some other kind've damage were to occur, even if the filler were to completely fail and crack, who's not to say that the car would have needed to have body repair/touchup work done ANYWAY if the stuff had never been there in the first place? My rationale is that **** is prone to happen, and when it does, you deal with it and move on. These cars are far from invincible, nor will they last forever. (Without vigilant maintenance of course.) Nothing ventured, nothing gained right? And if worse comes to worse and I end up doing all the work to make it happen and it turns out to be a total failure, you guys are more than welcome to start a thread about what a dumbass I was for ever attempting this crazy idea, learn from my mistake, and when everyone's done laughing we can all go out and have a beer.
Sound like a plan?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, I HAVE to post this from his page.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever seen or done this?