Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

SLP Ram Air HO hood safety catch

Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Ram Air HO hood safety catch

Ok guys,

I've got my hood mounted and I'm currently heat fitting the hood to my car.
The fitment is pretty good on my 00 T/A but the only thing that wouldn't work when I tried was the stock safety catch... because of the angle(bent up towards the hood) that the release handle is on the stock hood this won't work with the SLP hood, so I was wondering if the WS6/Firehawk hoods had a different safety catch... my only other alternative is to chain the hood down... which is not what I want to do... Otherwise the hood is secure but it would give me piece of mind if I had the safety latch on the car.
If anybody has a pic of thier safety latch on this hood or a WS6/Firehawk hood please post them or send them to me so I can get an idea of what else to do!
TIA
-CW
Old 09-12-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am using my stock one. I bent the lever you lift up on down a little so it lifts enough to clear the latch. I thought about looking into a latch off a Firehawk, but the stock one seems to be working just fine.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:29 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Heat Fitting ?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got a GM ram air hood for mine...

alot of cash but hey...worked and fitted like a wonder
Old 09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hawgs
I am using my stock one. I bent the lever you lift up on down a little so it lifts enough to clear the latch. I thought about looking into a latch off a Firehawk, but the stock one seems to be working just fine.
How did you bend it? Got any pics? I don't have a lot of tools to bend it and make it functional... But there is no way that the stock safety catch will work with this hood..
Old 09-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rex orr
Heat Fitting ?
Sorry if that isn't the correct term, but I'm making sure that the fiberglass cures completely and see any flex, bulging, etc. before I do the final prep and paint...
Know anything about the safety catch?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SVThis
i got a GM ram air hood for mine...

alot of cash but hey...worked and fitted like a wonder
Well I've already have this hood and I prefer the look of it and happy with it overall but I just can't seem to get the safety catch from my stock hood to work with it... did your stock safety catch work with the GM Ram Air hood?
Got any pics?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Safety latch from a Firehawk hood

It is funny because I had the same issue with my SLP hood. I could not make my stock latch work from my stock hood. I am currently running without one. I have had the car up to triple digit speeds with no issues. I do plan on getting the safety latch from a Firehawk hood.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Formy,
The latch is more for piece of mind... the former owner of the hood had gone without one as well but he somehow had forgotten to secure it down and drove off and had it smack his windshield in... I'm not saying that is going to happen to me but you never know...
I've got two questions for you... have you seen a firehawk catch (is it different from the stock one?) know anywhere that its sold? Also at the center of the nose of your hood and the nose of the car do you have a step up to the hood... I've seen the firehawk hood and they have a cap over that part of the nose that smooths the lines of the hood... have you seen that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP Ram Air HO hood safety catch