Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Two shades of NBM???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two shades of NBM???

I just got the liscense filler painted to match the wife's car, a 2002 NBM Firebird. I gave the shop the filler piece, the VIN number, and when I got it back, it looks VERY different from her car. In DIRECT sunlight, you can see the brightest part of the blue is the same, but this new piece seems to not be as dark....

On a related note, I seem to think that her paint seems more...purple...at times compared to the blue/true navy I see on other people's cars.

Any truth to this? Are there two shades of NBM through the years it was made??

TIA

Jeremy
Old 09-14-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, just one NBM. Either they messed it up just slightly, or more likely, the paint on her car has faded slightly over the years and looks different. Whenever you're having something painted for your car, never have them just use the original paint. Instead, have them match the paint on the car.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know its not a firebird, but at work, we have 60 chevy vans, all 2005 ordered at the same time. exact vans. same color. put them in a line. very few match perfectly
Old 09-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Nope, just one NBM. Either they messed it up just slightly, or more likely, the paint on her car has faded slightly over the years and looks different. Whenever you're having something painted for your car, never have them just use the original paint. Instead, have them match the paint on the car.
Normally I would, but it was a surprise gift...now its just a surprise....
Old 09-14-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

There actually is 2 different shades of NMB that was used on the 98+ f body. I know because I had to leave the paint store and get the exact paint code of the car to make sure I had the correct one.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stryker14
There actually is 2 different shades of NMB that was used on the 98+ f body. I know because I had to leave the paint store and get the exact paint code of the car to make sure I had the correct one.
Tell me more!!! Where did you find this out, and do you know the two different paint codes??? I knew it!!!

Jeremy
Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by herronz28
Tell me more!!! Where did you find this out, and do you know the two different paint codes??? I knew it!!!

Jeremy
Well I dont have both paint codes off hand but I went to the paint store with just the name of the color and the manufacturer. Owner showed me the book and there was 2 different NMB's and he said they were both used on the fbody. Of course in the book on the little color chips they looked the same but im sure when on a larger piece they would stand out like you have mentioned.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Teching In

I pulled the paint code (WA352E) on my BASF SmartColor system and it shows one alternate color besides the standard. These types of colors can differ a lot by the angle you look at them. They have both a face tone and a side tone which would be redder or bluer depending on the mixing ratios.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

When I had my 99 NBM, it was like that. From diffrent angles, and different amounts of light, the color seemed different almost every time.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

Um wrong, their is 6 different value shades of NMB through Dupont it's where the paint altered in metalics, pearl and base thickness. Own body shop, different values **** me off door code has exact number
Old 09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, there are 2 shades. Most are the same, but a few have a "flip-flop" to them, mine is one of them. When my car is next to any other NBM it looks noticabily different. My car looks blue, deep purple, or even black depending on light. I get compliments from other F-Body owners on it all the time.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of the time mine looks purple, except for when it's in some good light like before sunset then it's beautiful
Old 09-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Teching In

I have a 2000 NBM TA and people always call it purple. It absolutely looks different when dark outside, or under different lights.

I'd be curious to see if GM actually did use two different shades. I don't doubt that there can be many shades of the color by Dupont, PPG, etc, but did GM specifically use two different ones?

Don't know if GM would use two RPO's? Checking out GMVIS right now, it shows for my VIN:

28U - PAINT, NAVY BLUE METALLIC

If other people have a 98-02 Firebird or Trans Am in NBM, check your RPO sticker on the door and post the color RPO, or I could check your VIN in VIS if your sticker is missing. The color RPO is usually near the end of the list and they are all usually the same format for exterior color--two digits then a letter.

If someone else has an NBM Pontiac F-body with a number other than 28U, that would answer the question.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:26 AM
Teching In

I haven't found time to work up a fancy sig yet, but here's a pic of mine in the evening hours, maybe 2-3 hours before sunset

Old 09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The paint shop could have used the correct paint for the panel but it will still won't match exactly. There is no way to duplicate exactly the conditions when our cars were painted at GM. Little things can make a big difference and it shows in the paint once it has cured. The only way to match it up and make it look closer would be to blend the hatch and bumper... I don't think any of us would want to do that though.

I've had to have my front bumper repainted twice. Both times was because of others backing into me or when the mechanic shop messed it up. Both times they used the correct paint but different results after it was done. The 1st time the red on the bumper looked lighter but it was blended so noone could notice but me. The last time it was darker and blended but yet again I can tell (When I polish the car and shine it up I can't notice it). The only way to get it right would be to repaint the whole car.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:48 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I know there are at least 3 different shades of NBM. Not sure how many of them were used on f-bodies. I know because I had access to 2 different codes, and when I asked the guy whos lid I painted what his paint code was, he told me, and it was different from the 2 I already had. So I can tell you there are at least 3... I don't have the code#'s with me here at work, but if you'd like, I can get the 2 I have when I get home tonight...
Old 09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe gm switched paint suppliers half way through the production years?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
The paint shop could have used the correct paint for the panel but it will still won't match exactly. There is no way to duplicate exactly the conditions when our cars were painted at GM. Little things can make a big difference and it shows in the paint once it has cured. The only way to match it up and make it look closer would be to blend the hatch and bumper... I don't think any of us would want to do that though.
what people need to understand about paint is that they are all just a code and them mixed. You don't walk into a paint store and purchase a quart of Camaro NBM. It is almost impossible to match certain colors with blending. Painting metallics is tricky because you have no control over how the flakes fall and that affects the color. It also depends on the part you are painting. A metal piece may look a different color than a plastic piece.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

There is basically no way you are going to get an EXACT match on a metallic color because as already stated there are too many variables. Just one example would be the speed at which the painter was moving the gun across the surface. The slower he goes, the more metallic flakes are deposited. This can affect how the paint looks. Another is air pressure. Humidity too. This is why blending is used whenever possible so that there is not a distinct line between panels. All blending does is "trick" the eye into believing it is one continuous color.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LvDemKings
Most of the time mine looks purple, except for when it's in some good light like before sunset then it's beautiful

Here's some examples of mine in different light (time of day). The variables shades is what I love about NBM.

Originally Posted by parbreak
There is basically no way you are going to get an EXACT match on a metallic color because as already stated there are too many variables.
This may be true to some extent but, I think it depends on the quality and talent of the body shop you use. The car I had when I was 16 ('83 Nissan Pulsar NX) had repair work done by the dealer's bodyshop and it was way off. The car was a metallic maroon called "Royal Mist Metallic". Beautiful color. The fender they painted looked almost brown. Had way too much metal flake in it. In contrast, I've had to have some refinishing done on my SS and I would defy anyone to figure out where it is on the car. It looks perfect.

Quick Reply: Two shades of NBM???