Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Can't get this crap off my car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005 | 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Default Can't get this crap off my car!

The other day I was driving down this road when all of a sudden I see what looks like rain drops cover my windshield. Only it wasn't raining, but there was a car in front of me so I figured he ran his wipers. I keep driving and notice that the drops aren't drying off. So when I get home I proceed to clean my car off. I start with the windshield and it comes off without any problems. When I move to the front of the car it's totally covered in these tiny clear dots. I spray my Meguiars all over the front end and some come off but the larger one's won't budge. I was scrubbing my *** off but it didn't make a difference. It almost looks like tree sap, like when you park in under a big tree. But it can't be that cuz I was moving and there were no trees around.

I'm gonna grab some bug and tar remover and try that, but I can't even get these things to smear so I don't know if it'll help. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? It was on a fairly new road and no one was around besides the car in front of me. Or if I could get some other ideas on what to use to try and get this stuff off. I hope I don't have to get my car wet-sanded.
Old 09-19-2005 | 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Hopefully not, but maybe that guy in front of you sprang a leak or something.
Old 09-19-2005 | 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

The same thing happend with my glass cleaner I used on my paint.
Old 09-19-2005 | 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JackZ28
Hopefully not, but maybe that guy in front of you sprang a leak or something.
I thought about that, but what could a car leak that would be so hard to remove from the paint?
Old 09-19-2005 | 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

donno
Old 09-19-2005 | 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

have you tryed having it buffed??? my old car used ot have same spots that came off when i go it buffed....have you parked near a sprinkler ???? perhaps you did w/out knowing and the sun dryedthe water on to your paint...
Old 09-19-2005 | 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
have you tryed having it buffed??? my old car used ot have same spots that came off when i go it buffed....have you parked near a sprinkler ???? perhaps you did w/out knowing and the sun dryedthe water on to your paint...
Its not those kind of spots. It looks like superglue. It clear and looks like water but its hard. It almost looks like a water spot that just froze and wont move. I wet sanded mine and they came off.
Old 09-19-2005 | 10:24 PM
Import Patrol

Try using "nu finish" you can pick it up at auto zone. It's worth a shot. It has taking spray paint off of my buddies car.
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
Try using "nu finish" you can pick it up at auto zone. It's worth a shot. It has taking spray paint off of my buddies car.
If my high powered orbital buffer wouldnt get them off with some 3M compound im sure Nu finish wont work. Not trying to be a dick but I dont want this guy buying something that wont do the job.
Old 09-20-2005 | 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well, today I bought some bug and tar remover and started rubbing, but It didn't phaze it at all. I didn't think it would but I wanted to give it a try. The only thing I can think of is that some **** was on the road and the car in front of me kicked it up on my car. I'm gonna have to have the car wet sanded to get these off, this really sucks!

Stangkilr: That's wierd that glass cleaner did that to your car. How much did it cost to have your car wet sanded, or did you do it yourself?
Old 09-20-2005 | 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Well, today I bought some bug and tar remover and started rubbing, but It didn't phaze it at all. I didn't think it would but I wanted to give it a try. The only thing I can think of is that some **** was on the road and the car in front of me kicked it up on my car. I'm gonna have to have the car wet sanded to get these off, this really sucks!

Stangkilr: That's wierd that glass cleaner did that to your car. How much did it cost to have your car wet sanded, or did you do it yourself?
Yea it was eagle one 20/20 glass cleaner. I wet sanded it myself. Those spots were caused from that winshield cleaner. I bet it has a certain chemical in it that causes it to mess up the paint.
Old 09-20-2005 | 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Can you take a pic of it? I get those clear little dots as well and I cover the car when I park it. When I wash the car though, they come off. They seem to have some sort of sugar because flies get attracted to it. I don't park near any trees with sap without my car cover.
Old 09-20-2005 | 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try some overspray clay also. It might work, if not don't automatically think it needs to be wetsanded. Take it to a reputable bodyshop and have them take a look. Sometimes something as simple as prepsol will get stuff off and no buffing is required.
Old 09-20-2005 | 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

try stoners tarminator or like jksz71 stated a claybar
Old 09-20-2005 | 08:52 PM
Launching!

First thing I thought when I read the thread..

CLAY Bar
Old 09-20-2005 | 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Well, it might be hard to see from a pic. You have to look at the right angle to see them because their pretty small and clear.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to get this stuff off my car, I'll give them a try. I'll save the wetsanding as a last resort.

Quick Reply: Can't get this crap off my car!