Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Proper sanding method questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper sanding method questions

I need to repaint my front bumper and spoiler becasue of some inperfections. What is the best way to sand the entier peices to start over. i.e. what sand paper grit and any other info.
thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

If you're not taking it down to the primer, which is probably not necessary then you could use a scuff pad. If I were doing it I would probably use 600 grit wet sandpaper. Get some good quality paper like 3M and keep a steady flow of water over the piece you are sanding. You want the residue to wash away as you sand. Fold the paper into quarters so you have a few layers between your fingers/hand and the surface. Lightly sand in a gentle back and forth motion(no circles). Small strokes and a little area at a time.

When finished sanding blow off with an air hose and use some wax/grease remover to wipe off any remaining residue.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

i have original paint on my car and was thinking of repainting it, could this method be applied to the whole car? I would not need to prime right? just sand like you mentioned, degrease, and paint?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

It depends on whether you need and repairs done to the paint of not, ie. chips, major scratches, etc. If the basecoat is fine, then you should be able to scuff the surface and repaint.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

well my hood has quite a bit of chips along with the front bumper cover, so maybe its best that comes all the way down to the primer. but for the rest im sure I could just scuff it like you sad
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i need to go all the way to the primer and jsut start over. but wouldnt it help more to use a sanding block rather than my hands.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

A SOFT sanding block made specifically for wetsanding will be best. Do not use a regular hard sanding block.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i painted my car and a week later the old man next door back in to my front nose cracked the paint cause i guess it wasnt dry. now do i sand it back down to the primer. and yes i do have to sand it all the way down. dont know why it cracked cause the base coat had flex agent in it but i dont know about the clear coat. mabe not huh thats why it cracked

Quick Reply: Proper sanding method questions