Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

interrior painting: plastic VS fiberglass ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interrior painting: plastic VS fiberglass ???

i was thinking of painting the inside sail panles to match my SOM colored car... CAN I JUST SAND AND PAINT THEM? my concern is that they will crack... also im just gonna say up front im not talking about spray paint or any other bs painting IM TRING TO FIGURE OUT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT TO GET PROFESSIONAL RESULTS i already have a large fiberglass amp rack thats been painted in the rear hatch ares and i want this to look the exact same can this be done or do i have to make fiberglass molds?????

thanks,
john

below is a pic of the amp rack; like i said im tring to match its quality
Attached Thumbnails interrior painting: plastic VS fiberglass ???-dsc00593s.jpg  
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

My recommendation outside of using them as plugs to make molds would be to sand them down as smooth as you can and then use a high-build primer(3-4 coats minimum) wet sanding each coat which will build up the surface slightly and give it an even finish. Then do your base and clear.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

but at the same time you think to do it right its gotta be fiberglassed?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, you're talking about the little triangular piece? Your exterior sail panel is the little triangle between the window and your C-pillar.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

the interrior plastic piece that the monsoon subwoofers mount into, ..the piece of pastic behind the drivers seat with the coat hanger in it
Old 10-07-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

No I don't think you would have to fiberglass it to do it right. If you sand it down at least semi-smooth and then use the high build primer, I like Duplicolor High Build Gray, it will build the surface up enough it will give you a smooth surface like fiberglass.

Last edited by parbreak; 10-07-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

For something that large, I definitely agree with parbreak. Also, thing to keep in mind, should you get in a car accident, can you imagine the shards of fiberglass stickin out all over the interior? People complain about fiberglass splinters (and let me tell you from experience, those effin suck), think about if the whole thing broke and you had the shards with sharp jagged edges stickin out.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meissenation
For something that large, I definitely agree with parbreak. Also, thing to keep in mind, should you get in a car accident, can you imagine the shards of fiberglass stickin out all over the interior? People complain about fiberglass splinters (and let me tell you from experience, those effin suck), think about if the whole thing broke and you had the shards with sharp jagged edges stickin out.
If you think fiberglass shards hurt, try Carbon Fiber, OUCH!!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh trust me, I know that too. I somehow impaled my foot with a small piece, damn that hurt for weeks.

Quick Reply: interrior painting: plastic VS fiberglass ???