Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Racing harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing harnesses

Has anyone put in 4 or 5 point harnesses into a t/a with the stock seats? I really like the seats and wouldnt get rid of them. I was wondering if you could use the 3 mount points in for the factory seatbelts, then take out the headiner and put in a bolt or whatever for the inside shoulder harness. Then do the same thing below the seats for the nutcracker one. Has anyone done this or seen it in an fbody?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

I wouldnt mess around with seatbelts like that. Plus it would NEVER pass tech inspection if you were in any IHRA/NHRA events. Do it the right way, if u want 4 or 5 point harnesses put in a roll bar or cage.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Harnesses will NOT mount ot the upper stock belt mounting points. You have to use either a roll cage or harness bar.

I have a Wolfe 6-point roll cage in my T/A with 6 point harnesses for both stock seats. the shoulder harnesses mount to the rear cage crossmember, the lap belts mount to the stock lap belt mounting points, and the Y-Harness Sub belt mounts to a bar that bolts down under your (2) front seat mtg. bolts.

I removed both my stock front seat belts when I did the install.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

there is a company that makes a harness bar that bolts to where the rear seat belts bolt in. i dunno if it would work with teh stock seats but its an option
Old 10-15-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

any pics of the belts mounted w/ the stock seats?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

there is a company that makes a harness bar that bolts to where the rear seat belts bolt in
You would be talking about the G2 Harness Bar. I had one of these prior to the Wolfe cage. They do mount where your rear shoulder harness mechanisms are, and they do work for harnesses with the stock seats.

Should have mentioned this before (brain fart) the harness bar would be a less expensive way of getting into harnesses and works just fine - I just needed to take my setup up a notch.

BTW, your backseat and the fold-down feature of the backrest will be pretty much useless with either setup (if that's even an issue ) And so will the ability to totally recline your front seat backrests.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Pics Anyone? Anyone?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the harness bar with 5 points. Corbeau sells plastic channles for the sub belt, just cut a hole in the seat pop it in and pull the belt through. Some people just bolt the sub under the seat and pull it around the front but that wont do anything for you, it has to be anchored at a point on the floor behind your crotch and come up through the seat just in front of your crotch or it wont keep you from moving forward. In a Camaro you dont have a headrest to pull the shoulder harnesses through either which sucks. I reccomend a racing style seat for use with 5 or 4 pt harness. Check out my Cardomain pics if you want to see the harness bar.

P.S. I wouldnt consider this an apperance mod??
Old 10-19-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

how bout you ws6? I was just interested in the routing method used w/ the stock seats.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the shoulder straps you have 3 options. Harness bar, roll bar/cage or you can bolt them to the floor behind the seat and use a quick release if you want to fold the seat forward. Lap belt will mount to the stock points.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

My only problem is how with the seat tops, no holes? I'm gonna do the cage with the strap slit to bolt to the floor behind (rear seat delete) as they look like they are intended for that. I just wanna see more pics to get an idea of how the straps will go cause they look like they will not go over the top of the seat and stay in places, on the sides of the head rest maybe? I do get the concept on mounting them i just can't get over the shoulder strap routing with the stock seats. Thanks a lot though fellas.

Oh yeah no not an appearance mod. I wanted more protection since my accident, got t-boned by a drunk driver in February. The cage i'm looking at is the wolfe 6pt. w/ the lowered sides.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

As I stated I have the Wolfe Cage with stock seats. Built in to the main hoop crossmember (directly behind seats) there are (2) strap type loops welded on each side.

Mount your shoulder harness using the wrap-around method - wrapping both shoulder harness belts around the crossmember INSIDE the welded on loops.

This will keep your shoulder harnesses from sliding side to side on the bar. Shoulder harnesses then just simply come off the bar and over the top of your stock seat & of course, then over your body.

When not using the shoulder harnesses (I drive with only the lap belt portion day to day - only use the rest of the harness when racing) you can simply flop them back over the top of your seat and let them hang off the backside of the crossmember into your back seat.

For shows I completely fasten the harnesses in place on the seats, taking the should harnesses over the top of the factory seat and pinching them between headrest and top of seat.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was one guy who put slits in his camaro seat and pulled the belts through and had an embrodery place stitch around the slits for strength. There was a thread around here a week or two ago about it.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

yeah it was me who started it that thread. OK i think i'm starting to get it. I was just concerned about the stability of the belt if it was just routed over the top of the seat rather than through it. Just had a hard time seeming it in my head. I was thinking about having that mod done to my seats but i wasn't sure how to go about doing it. My main concern is the complete effectiveness of the belt should i actually need them. (god forbid--accident or what have you)

Quick Reply: Racing harnesses