Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Meguires Cleaner Wax Results on Swirl Marks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GoldenBird, look at the sticky for the 'recomended' model of polisher. Many people say it is easy to use, and there is even a guy on here with a black 'vette that posted before, during and after pics of his first time using the polisher. The results were awsome! My problem is that I finnally bought the car of my dreams and am scared to mess it up.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok cool...I hadn't even noticed the sticky I have a habit (on all message boards not just this one) of scanning right down to the new posts because 99% of the time the stickys aren't info I use or need. I checked out that Autopia site it seems very helpful too.

But there's one thing I still don't understand about polishing. It says you are basically removing minute amounts of paint to reveal a glossy shine. Is it somthing you can essentially only do so many times before the paint is just worn away or you have no clear coat? In other words is it a poor decision to use it to enhance and bring out the best in a relatively new paint job as part of regular detailing, or should you wait till it gets bad enough to really need it because you'll only be able to get away with doing it so number of times?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Thats right, if you polish too much, you can remove the clear coat. This is another reason I don't want to polish. It won't happen with just one application, but I bought my car used and don't know if it has ever seen abrasives before.

Autopia is a great site to read about this stuff on. You can learn alot there.

If you think that you might want to just hide the swirl marks, get an extremely glossy sealer/wax. It helps, but it isn't a fix and will need to be applied regularly. Also, all the swirl marks won't go away, but you will definately have to look for them in order to see them.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

black is hard to keep up....but, when it is....hottness!

porter cable polisher....how much are these?....Is there a setting where you can't harm the car if you don't know a lot of using them? Do you put the wax on with it and blend it in?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

I think they are a little over $100; as for application process, maybe someone with some experience will chime in.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
....Is there a setting where you can't harm the car if you don't know a lot of using them?
a PC wont harm the clear no matter what setting its on. all it does it oscillate and rotate at the same time. You have your product and your pad, you apply your product to the pad. Set the pad on the surface and go.

Honestly as for the pics above it looks the same sorry to tell ya. Some people will say that meguiars products have a lot of fillers in them. However i wetsanded my TA and used most of the Meguiars line and none of the sanding marks have come back. So i guess there are no fillers, Oh and btw i used a rotory on my car. Nothing but the best.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PC is easy to use and about the only way to f*ck up the paint is to drop it on the car.
There are a boatload of posts about the PC, the products to use with it, and how to use it/them
I use it, and before I got it I had no clue about keeping a black car looking sharp, but now, I get lots of compliments on how good the car looks. I've even been asked if I detail cars for a living (I don't BTW)
Old 11-04-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks to be ineffective. the far different angle "hides" some the of swirls.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Teching In

I use Zaino...the swirl remover works awesome. My car had lots of swirl marks when I bought it. After Zaino...it looks like new. Check out the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Meguires Cleaner Wax Results on Swirl Marks!!!-one-coat-zaino-z5-4nov2005-007small.jpg  
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nova5
Looks to be ineffective. the far different angle "hides" some the of swirls.

When taking the pictures I was sure to take them at the same angle relative to the sun in order for the worst of the swirl marks to show. It made a huge difference in person, but as someone said it was a temporary fix. After a few washings, the marks are back. I will be polishing soon.

Quick Reply: Meguires Cleaner Wax Results on Swirl Marks!!!