Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default painting interior

i'm in the process of repainting my interior pieces because i'm wanting them to be smooth and real deeping looking just like my exterior paint. i've already sanded them pretty good, and am ready for primer now. i wanna use my sharpe paint gun and use regular automotive paint for the pieces, but i dont know what kind of primer to get. do i need to use primer for plastic or primer that's used for exterior paint? also, i can't get the "orange peel" out....will this come out after sanding the primer down? thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you havent even painted yet i dont know how you have orange peel, that is when the clearcoat curls up giving it an "orange" affect which you can get rid of by wetsanding with high grade sandpaper (1500-2000) otherwise if i were you id just use a spray can primer if you really want to prime it, otherwise i have had success with the krylon paint for plastics, i dont know how well automotic paint will bond to plastics as it is very thin, if someone else has any experience with this maybe you can give some other pointers.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

i figured it all out..........i used an adhesive promoter and then primed over that. what i was referrring to with orange peel was just the roush texture that the plastic pieces have, sorry. i'm looking for a smooth finish like you would find on the exterior of cars. i wet sanded the primer down and its really smooth now. i'll be sure to post pics after i paint it sometime this week.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just re-did mine with the semi-gloss krylon black and then sprayed clear coat over that,looks awesome.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

does it like deep and smooth like the exterior of black cars?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
does it like deep and smooth like the exterior of black cars?
I am guessing not since he only used a semi gloss. If you want it to look real deep and smooth I would recommend wetsanding your base coat assuming it is black and get that as smooth as possible with 600 grit before clearing. Use a high gloss clear as opposed to semi gloss if you want it to look real deep.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

i think im just gonna stick to my first idea and use the gun with a base coat clear coat automotive paint......ill just cross my fingers.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

i think im just gonna stick to my first idea and use the gun with a base coat clear coat automotive paint......ill just cross my fingers.
Thats what I meant. I was suggesting to wet sand the base coat once you get it sprayed on the pieces. That way you have no orange peel before you go to clear and that would give it the deepest looking finish. Crossing your fingers may help as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually it does look pretty glossy, i will get some pics later and post them.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

stryker....how long shoul di let the base coat dry before sanding? i know automotive paint takes longer to dry and cure.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

stryker....how long shoul di let the base coat dry before sanding? i know automotive paint takes longer to dry and cure.
Well depending on weather and how warm it is in your area I would wait about 90 minutes before you sand the base coat. Obviously its better to wait longer than to start sanding when it isnt completely dry. I also forgot to mention that you should only be sanding the base coat as long as it is a non metallic color or unless you are just knocking some orange peel down on the metallic color to then go back and hit it with another coat. If it is just a solid color with no metallic in it you will be fine to get it perfectly smooth with sanding and then go straight to clear assuming you didnt cut through the base coat.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

im gonna be spraying silver metallic on it, same color as my exterior.....what do i do in this case? sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm new to the "real" paint lol, and have also never used a gun.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

im gonna be spraying silver metallic on it, same color as my exterior.....what do i do in this case? sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm new to the "real" paint lol, and have also never used a gun.
assuming you know how to take the proper steps to get it to the point it is ready to spray the base coat on I would first spray however many coats of silver it takes to get uniform coverage. Once you get it to where you like it you can then decide if it needs to be wetsanded. If there is quite a bit of orange peel I would wet sand with 600 and get it smooth again and then respray with your silver. It should only take one uniform coat to get it where you need it at this point before clear and there should be very little orange peel. Usually people dont worry about sanding basecoats cause its not necessary, but if you want it to be extremely smooth and deep looking I would suggest doing so. Also wetsanding and buffing the clear is important if you are trying to come out with the best overall product.

Really it comes down to how much work you want to put into it. You might be happy without having to do any wetsanding of the base or clear. If it was my interior I know I would go the extra length to make sure I come out with a great looking finished product, and that just means a whole lot of sanding
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

i spent about 4-5 hours prepping the pieces. lets see...i started with a medium to fine grit sanding block (one of the spongy kinds for contours) and used both grits on that, then went to 400, then primer, then 600, primed again, then 800 and finished with an 800 wet-sand. hopefully that's gonna be good enough, if i need more please let me know. ill post pics up when im done with it around wednesday. thanks for all yourr help, man.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

anyone know if i did this prep correctly?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like you should be good. when i did mine i used 400 grit to sand it down smooth, then 2 coats of primer, then sanded with 600. then did a final coat of primer, then sanded that down like 800 grit. ( i waited 2 hours after painting before sanding ) then i did the base coat. sanded that down with 1000 grit. then did 3 more coats. then 2 coats of clear. mine was just a little orange peely. just in a few spots. i used a buffing compound and hand buffed it out. then waxed it and it looked great. i used krylon fusion primer, base, and clear coat and it came out great. good luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

everyone, thanks for all the tips in doing this little prject. yesterday i painted and wetsanded the base and repainted....and today i put on about 3-4 coats of clear. alll i can say is it looks as good and deep as my exterior paint already . tomorrow i'll do the wetsanding and then i'll buff that back out.anymore tips on this next step? i'm not sure what kinda of buffing compnd to use either? by hand of buffer? and what grit sand paper...i've got 1500 and 2000 to choose from?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

pics are up of the finished product. check em out...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...18#post3847518

Quick Reply: painting interior