Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any one use Rain X?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried it once back when it first hit the market. I couldn't stand it. The water beads streaming across the window were way too distracting.

I've also heard of people just using car wax on their windows with similar results as Rain-X.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It kinda rained today and my windows smeared up really bad.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

i use the wipes, they work alot better than the liquid. i do all my windows and t-tops every month,and sometimes more if im going on a trip.

my car came with the rainx brand wiper inserts,now those are sh#tty, i need to toss em. but i hardly use my wipers so i always forget to get new ones.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteMan
It kinda rained today and my windows smeared up really bad.
theres only one way to get it to work right.

1. apply rain-x (origional, not window wax) to a cloth or paper towel to window. cover area completely.

2. let dry to haze (at least 5 mins)

3. buff area with clean, dry towel.

4. with new, clean, dry towel, mist water (i use a spray bottle) over small portions of the window at a time, rotating towel frequently.

5. if necessary, buff again with clean, dry towel.

if it smears after that, you're doing something wrong. or the smears are on the inside and you dont know it.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by screamin94Z
theres only one way to get it to work right.

1. apply rain-x (origional, not window wax) to a cloth or paper towel to window. cover area completely.

2. let dry to haze (at least 5 mins)

3. buff area with clean, dry towel.

4. with new, clean, dry towel, mist water (i use a spray bottle) over small portions of the window at a time, rotating towel frequently.

5. if necessary, buff again with clean, dry towel.

if it smears after that, you're doing something wrong. or the smears are on the inside and you dont know it.
Step 4 is the key to not having any smears. Also using too much product in the first place. If you have smears when wiping it off, then you definately have too much rainx on the windows.

I read about the seals too, usually if I do my windows...I leave about an inch around the edges that doesn't get the rainx. Then when you wipe it off, you can edge it in some. Not really any extra work, but I never wanted to get it on anything except the windows.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny story here about the rainx. I was lazy and I used my orbital polisher to spread it around and swirl it and such. Worked well. Quite easy to do and I ended per the instructions by misting with water and wiping off (after wiping off dry first though). Well I got lazy again and didn't rinse out the pad I used. About a week later when I was picking up around the garage I pick up the polisher and I rub the pad and a couple centimeters of it rub off! Haha. So I push my finger into it a little and rub and the top part of it keeps coming off. So there is a reason on the label that says don't get it on your painted surfaces because it's obviously corrosive. I'm glad I used the one crummy pad I have

Also I noticed after I went through a brushless carwash with the rainx on all the windows that the damn soap they spray didn't rinse off or got stuck to the rainx so I had this horrible haze. Also Windex sucks as a window cleaner after trying it on two seperate occassions. I picked up Stoner Invisible Glass (aerosol type can) and that stuff is great and does not streak (like the Windex would to my surprise). Also it didn't seem to take off the rainx either as it rained a couple days later so that was nice.

Alright that's enough.

Quick Reply: Any one use Rain X?