Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T/A Hawk HIDs - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
These things are plain awesome at night, no comparision to halogens! I was very impressed with the kit, very high quality! Everything was sealed, heatshrinked, weather-proof connectors, etc! Here's the ebay auction that I won for them, I think that's safe to post on here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

For Camaro's, it's definitely a little easier and plug & play as well! Only thing T/A's have to do to use the kit is to have the non-sealed beam conversion for their car!
thanx man your the best!!
Old 12-24-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bet youre blinding the **** out of everybody, theres supposed to be some kind of ...thing that cuts the glare down and focuses the light i dont think u have that if you just swapped bulbs. someone else on here had it in an older HID post.

so did you have to buy the eurolamps sealed beam kit and install that first? i suck at wiring and stuff it seems complicated. can you do a write-up on it?
Old 12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

I'm subscribing to this one. Possible to get them from somewhere other than ebay?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! No need for a write-up, it's all plug & play. Hardest part (if you even want to call it hard) was to find a place for the ballast that's outta the way of the flip-up headlights. That was easy, I meant to take a pic but forgot. I'll see if I can get one for ya.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Man that's just amazing. I think i'm going to get the kit for my Corvette Thumbs up man for venturing to an unknown kit too, with great success. The pics are amazing and I LOVE your car. was it really as simple as to mount the ballasts and plug in? there was nothing else at all you had to do?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do the high beams help any?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how is the glare on the hid's.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont even know what a ballast is so that might help... lmao
and what all kind of wires did you have to change?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ballast was a piece of cake to mount, only one place to put it and it even tucks up 90% under the lip of the bumper. Also the ballast and ignitor are in the same housings, so 2 less things you have to mount. I mounted the ballast with double-sided tape.

Check the vid, at a stop sign I hit my brights and you can BARELY see them against the woods. The highs are of no use any more, no doubt.

The glare is equalivant to factory HID cars. From a far distance they look very blinding, but the closer to get the more tame the light appears.

The kit comes with a kit to upgrade your stock wiring. They recommend it, but I didn't need it as I already upgraded mine to use the Eurolamps 70w bulbs. I gave the kit to my little bro so he won't have any problems running those SilverStars in his GTP (other car in the pics/vid).
Old 12-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

http://www.kaixenkits.com/

They are a little pricier but the quality is superior to any of the kits i have seen on Ebay. They have a built in cutoff (which is good if you dont want to blind every other driver on the road which in turn causes danger to yourself). They also have a hi/low kit available so you can have highs and lows in HID. Im not 100% on whether you can use the stock t/a housing but if not you can find projector housing/lenses online for about $60 for 2.

As far as needing a new wire harness thats not true. HID's use less power than conventional halogen lights

Also FYI somewhere around 4000K-6000K is the brightest but will appear white. The higher the Temperature (The # in thousands followed by K) after the 6000K point you will have more color but less light output(6500= purple, 8000ish=blue and it keeps going from there)

Hope this helped a little

Rob

Last edited by canadaisintexas; 12-24-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious, but how does their kits make it superior to mine? From the pictures, it looks exactly like my kit. Even the weather-proof plugs, size/color of the ballast, etc all look identical.

I think I may still upgrade the wiring for HIDs, even though they use 35W bulbs. I'm no expert, but I would think the the ignitors and ballast may require more current turn the warm up of the capsules even though the bulbs are only 35w.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for sharing, They look very good. I will be adding these to my winter mod list.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

This is the sales pitch that convinced me. I figured it would be easier to just post this

Originally Posted by A Kaixen Rep.
KEY FACTS:
1. These are 100% genuine Made in Korea brand.
2. Kaixen HID kits were first sold using Philips / Matshushita ballasts and bulbs starting in 1999. Since then, Kaixen has recieved its own license as well as hiring several key engineers from Germany to develop its own high quality ballast / bulbs since 2002.
3. Only other company other than Philips to develop the diamond-cut bulbs.
4. Kaixen is ISO9001 registered, E13 certified, KQA quality assurance certified.
5. All Kits are made direct from the factory, and are not "rebased" as most Philips HID kits are made.
6. Fit and finish quality is second to none.
7. Quality comparable if not better than OEM material.
8. Comes with 1 year full replacement warranty (ship back to Toronto, Canada).

Competitive comparision:
1. Made in China / Taiwan products: Yes, it's cheap. But not by large margins. Although "Made in China" products have improved in recent years, most of the HID manufacturers in China are poorly managed, uses cheap labour (more risk of defects), uses cheaper raw materials (risk of defects), and fit and finish is poor compared to other Korean / Japanese / German brands. There's a reason why many of these kits (mostly sold on EBAY) are sold for around $200 or $250. It's because it costs that much less to build, many times, cutting corners in areas that shouldn't be cut.

2. OEM / Philips: Direct OEM replacements cost around $600 per one side (over $1000 for both sets). Therefore, many people go to the "next bext thing" = Philips. However, what most people dont know is that Philips do not make variety of sizes. Philip's buyers (like Audi do not use all variations of sizes). This is why many resellers "rebase" the Philips bulbs to make it fit into sizes that are not originally made from Philips factory. There is a risk of product defect because of this modification. This is also another reason that many Philips kit's warranty is only valid from the reseller, and not from Philips head office.

As a comparision, Kaixen manufactures ALL sizes and colours directly from their manufacturing facility in South Korea. There is no rebasing or modification done outside of the factory, and all warranty is offered directly from Kaixen.

What's unique about Kaixen for RX7?

Traditional H4 bulbs only have the "bulb" component with H4 base.
However, Kaixen H4 systems are built with a "built-in-cut-off cover" system.
Because of this system, users do not have to worry about the excessive "glare" that is caused by using traditional HID Kits.

Here is a sample on a BMW 8 series:

Lastly, here are some pictures of other cars with Kaixen HID Kits:

Colours available:
4300K (OEM), 5000K (Crystal Natural), 6000K (Crystal White), 6500K (Crystal Purple), 8500K (Crystal Blue).

Less Kelvins (K) has better Lumens (Brightness).
More Kelvins (K) has more Colours.

And finally, the price:
Group buy price of 10 members:
$299 USD plus $14.95 USD shipping to anywhere in the US / Canada.
Pick up is available for Toronto locations. Pick up price is $299 USD or $350 CAD.
Just as a note guys, i am not offering these for sale however i believe that there will be another GB by the person that supplied me with these in the early spring. If he does one i will post up a link

Rob
Old 12-24-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have these on your car? i like them they look pretty tight. pics?
Old 12-24-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

do HID's operate at a lower temerature than regular lights?
id like to put a set in my aftermarket headlight assembly and im not sure if they would hold up to any extra heat.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

I assume you are talking to me as there are pics of the ebay kit at the top of the thread.

Not installed yet, they are in my bedroom along with my hood, stock headlight housing, seats, most of my interior, full fuel system and cooling system etc. etc.

One of the things you get to deal with when you have a golf kart, 4-wheelers etc etc. and are trying to do an ls1/t56 swap is running out of garage space (well unless your that guy building the garage that looks like a house). I will have pics asap however these will obviously work differently on your car compared to mine as they are different vehicles.

As far as using aftermarket headlight housings is concerned, a couple of HID guys on the rx7 forum installed them in aftermarket turn signals and it melted the housing however this could vary by housing. Also i doubt the turn signal housing was intended to handle the heat generated by any headlight

Rob
Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by canadaisintexas
As far as using aftermarket headlight housings is concerned, a couple of HID guys on the rx7 forum installed them in aftermarket turn signals and it melted the housing however this could vary by housing. Also i doubt the turn signal housing was intended to handle the heat generated by any headlight
They installed HIDs in the signal housing? I can imagine that'd melt pretty easy if so. I think the stock signal bulbs are around 13w versus 35w HID. As long as you install HIDs in a headlight housing, you'll have no problems since the housings can handle 55w.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

so i am confused, if i bought that kit what would i have to do to make it work. (all my lights are stock)
Old 12-25-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I might have to get the hi/low kit...
Old 12-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

To make that kit work you would need absolutely nothing. To make it work optimally you would need projector housing/lenses

Rob

Quick Reply: T/A Hawk HIDs - PICS