Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T/A Hawk HIDs - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ight just wanted to inform anyone that might not know, but first hid kits arent really that good, they cause quite a bit of glare since you are using a hid bulb in a housing that isnt made for it. This can be blinding to oncoming motorist, also unlike oem h.i.d.'s you will have hot spots and a uneven light pattern. Most have been talking about like 8k and 10k bulbs and such these will be very blue and will actually lessen the amount of light you get. oem hids are from 4100 to 4300 which is white light and will provide the most visibility, it becomes more blue after that. The best way to obtain hid is to with a retro, I am hoping to actually have one done using the halo style headlights for the camaro by using maybe e55 projectors, this will provide a sharp cutoff and the nice multicolor shimmer of the colorband. but retros are difficult and pricey and if you dont mind blinding people for your own benefit, because a kit will still provide quite a bit more light than halogen, then go right ahead just be sure to look at all the options first. oh and for refrence of hid stuff the are a few boards around one such as hidplanet is really good for refrence.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I still don't understand. IF I was blinding people with mine, wouldn't I be getting flashed all the time? Or even at least once? I mean, if I was being blinded by headlights I'd sure flash them.

I live in Louisiana where during an inspection they do not check for headlight alignment. This means we already have a lot of morons driving around with uneven headlights and blinding me. I see one of these people every time I drive at night. IF I am blinding people, then I'll go with this motto..... "If you can beat them, join them"
Old 01-21-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

you go PM bud that looks fantastic
Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Looks pritty sweet!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

when we use the term "glare", its not what you think it is. your headlights arent mis adjusted, they are probably level and just fine. glare is those wierd lines your eyes see that come out of other headlights, or lights in general.. or the "haze" of light that appears to be coming out. the problem is that haze reduces other drivers vision, and makes them squint and whatnot. its not that your lights are overly bright, which would cause people to flash their high beams at you, its the glare that reduces their vision. not to mention most drivers have grown used to the increased light from hid lights, and no longer flash because they realize that these are only the low beams. glare is actually the reason that the DOT tried to make the sale of hid kits illegal and was temporarily successful, until oganizations like sema and others protested heavily. the bottom line is, just because we can do certain things, doesnt mean we should.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Launching!

I just installed this very same setup that INfinte reality has on his Hawk. Though I encountered a problem on my install. I had gotten power for the lights through the fuse box cable that connects directly to the battery. I then grounded it off at the radiator support where two other wires are grounded right behind the headlamp assembly. I guess this caused all sorts of electrical problems because the next day after I had left it there for a night the headlamps wouldn't come up when you turned the switch. They would only come up when you unlocked and locked the car. A whole other mess of problems occured as well (dash, ABS, TCS, lights). I switched it over directly to the battery now and grounded it on its own unshared ground and it is working great now.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01RedT/A
when we use the term "glare", its not what you think it is. your headlights arent mis adjusted, they are probably level and just fine. glare is those wierd lines your eyes see that come out of other headlights, or lights in general.. or the "haze" of light that appears to be coming out. the problem is that haze reduces other drivers vision, and makes them squint and whatnot. its not that your lights are overly bright, which would cause people to flash their high beams at you, its the glare that reduces their vision. not to mention most drivers have grown used to the increased light from hid lights, and no longer flash because they realize that these are only the low beams. glare is actually the reason that the DOT tried to make the sale of hid kits illegal and was temporarily successful, until oganizations like sema and others protested heavily. the bottom line is, just because we can do certain things, doesnt mean we should.
Well, we were on the same page with "glare". I knew since I installed them that they aren't misadjusted and I've asked many of people if my lights bothered them. The vehicles ranged from lifted trucks to other f-bodies to stock cars. No one said they were blinding or found it hard to see or had to squint when passing me or if I was behind them. The only time they had lots of glare was from a big distance, but the closer I got the more tame the light was...similar to stock HIDs.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with HIDs and my blind-*** can see at night. I disagree with the "just because we can do certain things, doesnt mean we should" statement. HIDs = my blind-*** seeing the road. That means to me, that I should install them cause it'll greatly enhance my ability to see at night. Or if I make something out of LEDs and I like them then I will use it. Like my license plate light I made, 105 LEDs is WAY too many, but why not? If I can do performance things to my car, doesn't mean I should? No reason to have more HP other than to go faster. Which I shouldn't do, but I will cause it's an addiction.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....what Can I Say Those Look Awesome....i Need To Show To A Friend...he Has A 2002 Ceta With The Hids On His Fogs...he Was Told That There Was No Kit For T/a's
Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveo346
Wow....what Can I Say Those Look Awesome....i Need To Show To A Friend...he Has A 2002 Ceta With The Hids On His Fogs...he Was Told That There Was No Kit For T/a's
the fog hids sounds nice, any pics?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Can you post a pic of how you installed it? More specifically how you wired it to your battery?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Launching!

pm me too please
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forum Goo Roo This Needs Too Be A Sticky For Headlight Conversion!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes sticky would be nice. and where can i get them? can anybody please pm with the answer
Old 02-07-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE!!!!!

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/150mm.asp
BETTER HOUSINGS!!! Bosche-made and I guarentee better cutoff than eurolamps. Costs more, but well worth it! I wish I could get these and IF they took the same H7 bulbs I'd already have them. But it doesn't, takes H4s so I'd have to not only shell out $$ for new housings but also new HID capsules ($100/pair). Maybe someone will order these and post some pics for me to see and persuade me to go ahead and change them out!

Or does anyone want to buy my low beam housings and HID capsules (no ballast)??
Old 02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome thanks infinite i actually thought they were going to be higher in price. lol im not complaining
Old 02-07-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my HID H7 8000k kit thru ebay..I got a bday comming up so i asked for the conversion kit a week or so should have things up and running. Thanks to infinite and everyone else who chipped in!

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 02-08-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw that link and its a all in one housing and bulb..its not a low only. I say keep the setup that you have
Old 02-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blade
Can you post a pic of how you installed it? More specifically how you wired it to your battery?

I staterd mine out on the battery side and worked my way over towards the drivers side. There are holes in bewteen the fender and the nose peice of the Firehawk, I just put the wiring through that hole and hooked it up to the battery that way. The opening should be just below the bump stop for the hood next to the battery. After that, there is plenty of room to route the rest of the wiring through the nose of the car and to the other side.

Last edited by Divergent Lightning; 02-08-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
I saw that link and its a all in one housing and bulb..its not a low only. I say keep the setup that you have
Actually it would be only a low beam with the HID kit inside it. Typically if you upgrade to HID and previously had a dual filament bulb, then the kit come with low beams only. They make dual ones, but generally cost more. IF you did go with a dual HID kit for that housings and re-wired it you would actually have a HID high beam plus a regular stock high beam.

IMO HID high beams aren't worth the extra money unless you drive alot with them on.

If someone would buy my used housings and capsules (or even the whole kit with housings), I'd spend the extra $$$ to get the Bosche housings. Anyone want 2 used low beam housings plus a 2month old HID kit??? Maybe for $200 plus shipping???? It'd have everything minus the upgraded wiring, BUT I'd send the new wiring that comes with the new HID kit.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey infinite, I've been meaning to ask you. My homeboy whos into beamers and stuff so see a lot of HIDs says I really should invest on buying projectors (probably Hella) but since you're selling your old set up, I was wondering how the cut off looked like. Would you mind taking a picture of your hids on a flat wall so I can see how the spread out the Hids go? Or better yet, do you think I should go ahead and buy projectors anyway since it'll look cleaner? Thanks man

Quick Reply: T/A Hawk HIDs - PICS