Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T/A Hawk HIDs - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....well i have read over all 9 pages and i THINK i know how to get an HID setup for low beams, however I would really like to see a complete full writeup on how to make it possible to get both hi and low beam hid's and also how to get hid foglights. I would like to know exactly what to buy and where i can buy them from because alot of websites seem confusing to me. Infinite, that bosch housing you put up, what exactly would i buy? The $200 thing listed there on that page? Then buy H4 HID bulbs for low beam and high beam then just plug and play? I think there are alot of us noobs who would just like to know exactly what to do step by step all laid out in one post, instead of having to read through all 9 pages and kinda get an idea on all the different options. I would appreciate it if anyone could provide something like this.

For example: "For those who just want HID low beams, you need to get so and so housing and so and so size bulb from so and so websites.
"for those of you who would want HID low beams and hi beams, you need so and so housing, so and so bulb size from so and so websites
"for those of u who also want HID fog lights, you have so and so opions, etc, etc.,

If any of these options are not possible then I'd also like to know that so i wouldnt have to keep wondering "Is it possible to do this..." Cause for the longest time i always have wanted to know a straight up answer to wether or not u can convert all ur lights (hi/low and fog lights) to HID's. I have heard so many no's and a few yes's and its just all so confusing, lol. Sorry for all my noobness, but i have a feeling im not the ONLY one who feels this way. Thanks for ur time.
-Ryan
Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason no factory cars have high beam HIDs, is because they take so long to come on you can't flash them or turn them on quick enough. About the only way you can actually have usefull HID high beams is if you use a special lens cover that creates a low beam pattern and then moves a shield to reveal the high beam pattern. In this instance the HID bulb stays constantly on and you don't need 2 extra HID bulbs or 2 extra ballasts. This is how the OEM bi-xenon lights work.

Very few cars use bi-xenon as they really aren't necessary. Regular bulbs seem to provide the high and wide beam you need. The only way I'd say you might could go with seperate high beam HID is if you traveled a lot of seldom used roads at night. In that condition you could turn them on early and then leave them on. Still, every time a car comes your way you will have to turn them off and then back on and the bulbs will undergo the stressfull high voltage turn-on cycle. Constantly doing this will wear the bulbs out prematurely.

If your dead set on high beam HIDs then get a bixenon projector housing that is already made and sealed and ready to drop in the car. The only one I know of is the Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon HID Low/High Beam Lamps which run $538 each. So that's over $1000, but at least it's ready to go and uses top notch components. Most people just don't want to spend that kind of money. I don't.

If you are very crafty you can take a raw bi-xenon projector and make a new housing for it to be sealed in and be water tight, yet vented and filtered. That's what I'm doing if I ever get around to it. This is much cheaper, but takes a lot of knowledge, research and mechanical aptitude. There will probably be some trial and error as well.

As far as fog lights go, I don't even use them. If you do, then it would be a lot easier to just use a very white bulb in them. Assuming you have a huge budget and can afford the bi-xenons and have another $400 or so for a HID fog light, then you could just run a small low beam headlight as fogs and fabricate a housing of some kind. If you want to buy a ready to go assembly, Hella makes a 50mm projector (2" diameter lens), but they run $384 each for the cheapest which is a high beam, but it should be easy to fab a sheild to make a narrow fog light pattern.

Once you add up all the expense you start to see why most folks do not run all the bulbs HID. So yes, it can be done, but not cheaply. Plus, even the complete sealed assemblies will need to be mounted and adjusted and the wiring done through relays. So even if you could afford all the parts you still need the skill to install it all or else pay someone to do it which adds even more expense.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Don't really know if this was mentioned, but I hear the McCulloch 8k kit, is a great set-up. Not comparing it to Infinite's awesome kit, but I will most likely be purchasing it.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

According to several McCullock owners they are extremely poor kits. Particularly water getting in the ballasts and shorting them out. I also believe they were ordered to stop importing the kits in the US, if that tells you anything. I believe the ones that are still for sale are the ones that were already here and they are selling them off.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only thing that bothers me about the Rallylights are the 'city light', i've heard in the past those inserts were prone to leaks. I wonder if it effects the light beam? I wouldn't use the feature but I can't find any w/o it. Know of any specials going on for the housings? They are $70 each at the moment.

Edit: Has anybody installed the bosch/rallylights h4 housings yet?

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 11-06-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The reason no factory cars have high beam HIDs, is because they take so long to come on you can't flash them or turn them on quick enough. About the only way you can actually have usefull HID high beams is if you use a special lens cover that creates a low beam pattern and then moves a shield to reveal the high beam pattern. In this instance the HID bulb stays constantly on and you don't need 2 extra HID bulbs or 2 extra ballasts. This is how the OEM bi-xenon lights work.

Very few cars use bi-xenon as they really aren't necessary. Regular bulbs seem to provide the high and wide beam you need. The only way I'd say you might could go with seperate high beam HID is if you traveled a lot of seldom used roads at night. In that condition you could turn them on early and then leave them on. Still, every time a car comes your way you will have to turn them off and then back on and the bulbs will undergo the stressfull high voltage turn-on cycle. Constantly doing this will wear the bulbs out prematurely.

If your dead set on high beam HIDs then get a bixenon projector housing that is already made and sealed and ready to drop in the car. The only one I know of is the Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon HID Low/High Beam Lamps which run $538 each. So that's over $1000, but at least it's ready to go and uses top notch components. Most people just don't want to spend that kind of money. I don't.

If you are very crafty you can take a raw bi-xenon projector and make a new housing for it to be sealed in and be water tight, yet vented and filtered. That's what I'm doing if I ever get around to it. This is much cheaper, but takes a lot of knowledge, research and mechanical aptitude. There will probably be some trial and error as well.

As far as fog lights go, I don't even use them. If you do, then it would be a lot easier to just use a very white bulb in them. Assuming you have a huge budget and can afford the bi-xenons and have another $400 or so for a HID fog light, then you could just run a small low beam headlight as fogs and fabricate a housing of some kind. If you want to buy a ready to go assembly, Hella makes a 50mm projector (2" diameter lens), but they run $384 each for the cheapest which is a high beam, but it should be easy to fab a sheild to make a narrow fog light pattern.

Once you add up all the expense you start to see why most folks do not run all the bulbs HID. So yes, it can be done, but not cheaply. Plus, even the complete sealed assemblies will need to be mounted and adjusted and the wiring done through relays. So even if you could afford all the parts you still need the skill to install it all or else pay someone to do it which adds even more expense.

Hopefully that answers your question.
This helps me very very much. Thanks for bringing out all of those points. I honestly had no idea bout all that stuff u said. I think i will just get the HID low beams and a bright white fog light. Thanks alot for ur input.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

No problem.

If you want to learn more you can try these sites:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/index.html

Here are various bulb descriptions:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Bulb specs:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/special-topics.htm

A public forum to look through:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/216460/

A really good forum, but you have to sign up:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
Old 11-08-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
No problem.

If you want to learn more you can try these sites:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/index.html

Here are various bulb descriptions:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Bulb specs:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/special-topics.htm

A public forum to look through:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/216460/

A really good forum, but you have to sign up:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
If the eurolights or rallylights 150mm cases can be removed from the glass, in theory couldn't you paint the lower half of the reflactor black?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

I did my own with 6000k lights tht i got for 8 bucks shipped on ebay and a grand total for everything about 30 bucks lol you spent a little to much! but still looks good.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
I did my own with 6000k lights tht i got for 8 bucks shipped on ebay and a grand total for everything about 30 bucks lol you spent a little to much! but still looks good.

Just remember those are fake hid lights
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

but still bright! ANd a **** load less than 350 bucks
Old 11-08-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
If the eurolights or rallylights 150mm cases can be removed from the glass, in theory couldn't you paint the lower half of the reflactor black?
Why would you even consider that? What's the point?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

here is my setup
HID low and high.
LED turns and fogs.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Is this what you did?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=housing
..but with tinted bulbs?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIP1
Is this what you did?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=housing
..but with tinted bulbs?
For my headlights pretty much! but i used silverstars, But for the brights i used HID bulbs and vented the housing..
Old 11-09-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll agree, bulb swap is a little better if you're running higher wattage bulbs. And they definitely look cleaner too. I originally did the Eurolamp housings with their 70w bulbs and while they were a little brighter, absolutely NOTHING can compare to those 70w bulbs over HIDs. The $234 I spent on the kit was worth every single penny. I had a set ordered for my busa before I ever even picked it up. I will NEVER own a vehicle with anything less than HIDs.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Transamin00
here is my setup
HID low and high.
LED turns and fogs.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...5/DSCN2014.jpg
Awesome. Just awesome. I think I know what I want for Christmas... that, and an O/D alternator pulley. My voltage dips pretty low as is.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I'll agree, bulb swap is a little better if you're running higher wattage bulbs. And they definitely look cleaner too. I originally did the Eurolamp housings with their 70w bulbs and while they were a little brighter, absolutely NOTHING can compare to those 70w bulbs over HIDs. The $234 I spent on the kit was worth every single penny. I had a set ordered for my busa before I ever even picked it up. I will NEVER own a vehicle with anything less than HIDs.

Ya the HID lights are awesome! But i cant bring myself to spend that much on lights.. Id rather buy some go.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have a link where you got yours from?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Restricted User

yea HID's are amazing, make some cars look a trillion times better. Once you go with them you will never want to go back, and its just tempting to put 'em on every car you see that doesnt bring them from factory....like um our cars lol

Quick Reply: T/A Hawk HIDs - PICS