82.34%
Voters: 555. You may not vote on this poll

Throwing SS Badges on a Z28, wrong or right

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dduncan
Ok my big problem with the argument is that why is everything short of a 3x1inch emblem fine and dandy?

Would a Z28 look more like SS with the hood and spoiler and no emblem, or the emblem and no hood or spoiler?

Doesn't it sort of stand to reason that a hood and spoiler (major appearance changes) are a much bigger attempt at posing?

I just think it boils down to people wanting to feel like they something special. Do something original if you want to feel that way. Don't try to keep other people from making their cars look the way they want to so that you feel a little bit better about your car being exclusive and special. No car is the same anyways after its off the lot.

There are alot of people that restore old cars or build up replicas of old cars 67-69 camaros and firebirds have the model emblems and panels swapped out on them all the time. There is a place here in town that builds replica cobras out of either corvette or mustang donors. It's called unique motorcars. People come from all around to buy these "posers." They have their choice of engine, transmission, wheels you name it. Terry Pendleton bought one. Is this acceptable because they are better than the originals? They certainly don't refrain from badging them as cobras.
Clone cars are never worth as much as the real thing. I'm guessing you are pretty young, probably haven't shopped around for collectible musclecars, right? You can't even realize how many fake "SS" Camaros are out there on the market, with sellers claiming they are real. There are more 1st gen Camaro SS's on the road now than GM ever built in the first place. When I'm shopping for 1st gens, I'll probably see 8 out of 10 SS's are fakes. Usually the owners are too clueless to realize they own a fake too. Its sad. Especially when they lose thousands of dollars because they thought they bought a real SS and they didn't.

You know whats funny? Back in the 70s the Camaro guys would pull their SS emblems off and slap Z28 emblems on. How many times have you seen 69 Z28 convertibles or automatics, or bigblock Z28s? All 69 Z28s were 4-spd manuals, none had a/c, none were convertibles.

Just because other people slap the wrong emblems on cars doesn't make it right. Hoods/spoilers/wheels do not make any claims to what the car really is. Those are just common appearance changes. Now, "SS" blatantly expresses to the world that the car is an SS. Its always been that way, and always will be that way.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's all about looks, not heritage... obviously Chevy feels the same way or they would have done something different to the damn car. a LS1 Z28 can do all that the LS1 SS can do on the track.

that SS heritage isn't too holy these days anyway...

Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

In 20-30 years, do you think that Cobalt SS will be worth as much as a Camaro SS? I think you know the answer.

Chevy slapped SS on Novas, Impalas, etc... and those tend to still not be worth as much as Camaros or Chevelles that are true SS's. The car type has to be in demand, the SS version just makes them more desirable. Except for Z28s, which are more valuable than 67-69 SS's
Old 01-19-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no intention of debadging my car and throwing SS badges on them. Personally I am going with the retro z28 badges, because I am proud to have a z28. There is a lot of history in the z28. My mother owned a 75 limited edition z28, and that's pretty much why I have this car. I wanted something fast, nice, and something that had history.

Retro z/28 badges for the win.

I simply want to spark a heated debate. I want to see people opinions on this
Old 01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm sure its easy to take that point of view when you make "six figures." I mean hell you have at least six cars... of course you can get them anyways you want...signed, numbered and all that. But a 16 or 17 year old kid can't do that. Saved up for his 93-02 Z28... slowly saved up the money and put in the work for the conversion a piece at the time. Who are you or anyone else to say that its wrong? I don't know why it bothers people for other people to modify things aobut their own car. There are only so many options appearance wise that you can do. So, I still don't understand why it is ok to do the hood and spoiler... but not the emblem. If an emblem makes you a poser then so do body modifications that were styled after or a direct copy of another model car.

I have an actual WS6 now, I can post the door sticker with the code if anyone would like ... but there was a time when I was that kid building up my car and I remember coming across people that were snobbish about it. No matter how much you complemented their car at shows. When I was that age, I slowly converted a 94 black formula into a silver ram air TA with a WS6 logo on the back and WS6 wheels & suspension. OE parts too, from a 4th gen. camaro/firebird salvage lot in Calera, AL.

That experience is one of the only reasons I'm even intrested in cars. Modifying them and making them your own is one of the most rewarding experiences out there. I do think most people try to do things tastefully and are not meaning to offend anyone else.

If someone gets a supercharger and all the body parts from cobra and puts it on their GT. The rear bumper actually says cobra in big recessed letter, so if they want that look... its going to say cobra on the back anyways.

The cobra I was referring to was this type anyways: http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/

And I think the corvette analogy is way out of context. Although alot of people put corvette style wheels on their F-bodies. Are they posers as well?

Even without any badging, a camaro or trans am with an SS, Firehawk or WS6 hood, by the logic I have seen some of you express, would have to posing too. And I don't think thats a bad thing at all. I'll probably be banned after this post, but I just don't agree with you. I respect your opinion, but there aren't many more die hard about their cars than the ones who go to all the trouble modifying every little thing about them, regardless of where they stand on one particular topic.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Putting the emblems on makes you a poser, pure and simple. Its no different than slapping Cobra emblems on your Mustang GT. True, the engines in the Z28 are the same as the SS, but we also share engines with the Corvette. Would it be cool to put Corvette emblems on your Z28 then? Nope.

These cars come off the assembly line with factory RPO codes. These are the identity of the car. You cannot change the identity of a car by simply bolting parts onto it. Yes, SLP converted Z28s to SS's, but they came from GM with the WU8 build code, in order to distinguish them as true SS's. All Camaro SS's also have the Z28 RPO code along with the WU8 SS code.

Yes, you can do whatever you want with your car. But, to most of the true diehard Camaro enthusiasts and collectors, you are just a poser if you display your car for something else that it isn't. Those of you that say the SS "isn't anything special" crack me up since you also are willing to put SS emblems on your Z28. If it isn't special, why do it?

~sigh~ I wish more late model Camaro owners were more proud of the Z28 heritage and history. How hard is it to read a Camaro book or learn online?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just because other people slap the wrong emblems on cars doesn't make it right. Hoods/spoilers/wheels do not make any claims to what the car really is. Those are just common appearance changes. Now, "SS" blatantly expresses to the world that the car is an SS. Its always been that way, and always will be that way.
Well by the same reasoning... does it make it wrong? Cause that is the position you are taking. I never said it was "right". I only pointed out that it seems hypocritical to take wheels, hoods, spoilers and thats all fine and dandy, but nuh uh not emblems!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
it's all about looks, not heritage... obviously Chevy feels the same way or they would have done something different to the damn car. a LS1 Z28 can do all that the LS1 SS can do on the track.

that SS heritage isn't too holy these days anyway...

Marketing. GM scrapped our cars... not too worried about heritage.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

This is classy, He took the visual aspects, and got cool emblems, and nobody can ever call him a poser. It's a z/28.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

In 20-30 years, do you think that Cobalt SS will be worth as much as a Camaro SS? I think you know the answer.

Chevy slapped SS on Novas, Impalas, etc... and those tend to still not be worth as much as Camaros or Chevelles that are true SS's. The car type has to be in demand, the SS version just makes them more desirable. Except for Z28s, which are more valuable than 67-69 SS's
So... Novas, Impalas and Cobalts among others aren't "true SS's"? So are these owners who had their emblems from the factory posing too?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Simply this
Poser = A person who acts and does things but just can't preform up to par.
The Real thing = Person who can perform up to par and so he isn't posing.

So if your car is up to par and the average shmuck in the car next to you can't tell then by all means you have yourself an SS
Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Putting the emblems on makes you a poser, pure and simple. Its no different than slapping Cobra emblems on your Mustang GT. True, the engines in the Z28 are the same as the SS, but we also share engines with the Corvette. Would it be cool to put Corvette emblems on your Z28 then? Nope.

These cars come off the assembly line with factory RPO codes. These are the identity of the car. You cannot change the identity of a car by simply bolting parts onto it. Yes, SLP converted Z28s to SS's, but they came from GM with the WU8 build code, in order to distinguish them as true SS's. All Camaro SS's also have the Z28 RPO code along with the WU8 SS code.

Yes, you can do whatever you want with your car. But, to most of the true diehard Camaro enthusiasts and collectors, you are just a poser if you display your car for something else that it isn't. Those of you that say the SS "isn't anything special" crack me up since you also are willing to put SS emblems on your Z28. If it isn't special, why do it?

~sigh~ I wish more late model Camaro owners were more proud of the Z28 heritage and history. How hard is it to read a Camaro book or learn online?

I'm proud of my Z28, actually don't want an SS.

The most I would ever do is an LT1 SS spoiler on my LS1 Z28. It looks just like the Z28 spoiler, but flares up a little (same brake light and everything).

Stick with the Z28 badges, or get some nice ones.. here are mine:

Old 01-19-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's okay if you'd done everything to make it look like a true SS. Far as I'm concerned dumping the cash into a hood and spoiler is enough to drop the extra badges on too. 95% of people won't know any better, 4% of people will respect it if you did it right, and the other 1%... well you can't please everybody.

I'd never do it to my current Z, but I did drop a hawk hood and rims on my old '93. Sold it clearly as a "clone" and the buyer was more than happy to pay for it in order to have the hawk look w/o the hawk price.

Insurance is also more expensive on an SS. The gd hoods are too expensive.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

SS is same on insurance as the Z28...Atleast with farmers, progressive and state farm when i was getting quotes. I say dont do it but it comes down to it's your car so do whatever you want, just dont say it's something it isnt' when someone asks.

William
Old 01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't do it, you have a Z28 not an SS. But if you do I will be forced to drive to Moorestown and take them off
Old 01-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Heres one for ya, what if someone was to put Z28/SS on their Z28? With the same mods as an SS. Just thought I would throw that out there. I dont really know what it would look like though...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like 4th gen Camaros. I really like those Z28s. I also like that Z/28 emblem. I think it looks cool and sounds really cool. I love the way the original '67 RPO turned into an actual Camaro model. I also like that SS package you can get with the 4th gen Z/28- paticularly the hood and spoiler. I might pick me up one of those hoods one day. Should I tear off my Z/28 badges and put SS badges on it? Hell no. What's that going to prove? Other than a few of those wierd IROCZ[28] years, the Z/28 has been the Camaro flagship since the 2nd gen came out. Chevrolet should have made the 4th gen SS available as a real performance upgrade. You know- more displacement or something. Then we wouldn't be having this argument. That said, here's what Scott had to say about it:

www.gminsidenews.com
Old 01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Good thread, I was about to create another. I say if you want the SS badges and have all the parts, why the hell not! I even considered/considering it but it's just more money to spend. Call it a SS unless you're trying to sell its, its a clone.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM

As long as it's not a V-6 who cares.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

this thread sucks... do what you want.. dont ask.. just do what makes you happy.. if we had to ask if we could or could not do something.. this wouldnt be America.

i say we ban topics like this because they go nowhere and offer no solution since so many people are on opposite sides.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y92Z28
this thread sucks...
If this thread sucks so bad why are you posting in it?
i say we ban topics like this because they go nowhere and offer no solution since so many people are on opposite sides.
.. if we had to ask if we could or could not do something.. this wouldnt be America...
I agree, I think we should ban all posts that don't offer clear cut resolutions/solutions. We should also ban all posts where people disagree with each other or take opposite sides. But wait a minute... that doesn't sound very American. Just funnin' with you (mostly). I sorta understand what you are trying to say- this horse has been beaten.

Quick Reply: Throwing SS Badges on a Z28, wrong or right