Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally installed my HVAC billet knobs, etc. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally installed my HVAC billet *****, etc. PICS

So I finally took the time to install my billet *****. I spent way too much on these BTW. I've had the silver overlays for awhile now, but wanted to finish my silver/red interior theme.

These were a pain to install. I wouldn't say they were a bitch, but definately time consuming. The cable on the cold/hot **** sucks to pull off. All the rest of the connectors popped right off.

I marked and drilled through the plastic so I could get to all the set screws. An 1/8" drill bit did the trick.

Before anyone asks, these are from MBA. I bought them on Ebay after they stopped making all the nice billet products for our cars. The gauge overlays are from Macewen (silver). And of course, the added decals on the cluster, and HVAC panel were bought from Teri9672 (board member).

Sorry for the CRAP pics. Between the white garage, the snow, the flat light, and of course my shaking hands, they came out horrible. It doesn't help that the cars dirty...

Before...

After...

There's a few more pics on the pictures link in my sig. None of them are very good though, I'm no photographer, and it's cold out!

Rob
Old 01-28-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look really good, where did you get them from, and are other colors available?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

That looks a lot like my car.. Tell you what Give me the ***** and then it will look just like my car

Looks good
Old 01-28-2006, 05:14 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
Those look really good, where did you get them from, and are other colors available?

These were orignally made by MBA. The no longer make any products for our cars.

Now, I bought them on ebay. Another member bought them as well (parbreak). Unfortunately, when we both recieved ours, they had BAD milling marks.

This is something that would have never been sold by MBA. The got over $150 for the 4 ***** when they produced them. I got them on ebay for $104 shipped. After looking at the milling marks, I decided to polish them out.

I used a 400 grit emery cloth/metal polishing paper. I went at all 3 of them by hand for about 2 hours while watching a movie. They came out MINT. I had one of the businesses next to our shop anodize them. Unfortunately since they were just 4 *****, and he didn't have the red on hand, I paid $100 bucks. A little costly, but it's all good.

Originally, I believe MBA offered anodized blue, red, satin, and polished finish. The polished finish was like $10-$15 bucks extra per ****.

Hope that answers your questions. Search ebay for camaro billet *****, HVAC controls, etc. I just want you to know that if you buy of MXbiker or whatever his name is, expect some ugly milling marks.

Rob

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 01-28-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Your setup is very similar to mine. I got them from ebay but they were made by an indepentend seller not MBA related....got all four for $75.00 plus shipping....

The red and aluminum contrast sure look killer!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have problems with your headlight **** sitting flush against the overlay? I just got some of these too, and I can't get mine to sit flush.

Also, Thunder Racing still has these billet ***** they are selling. I bought mine last week. They bought out MBA's remaining stock.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

where did u get the silver hvac and headlight control overlays
Old 01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Fad2blk_98
Do you have problems with your headlight **** sitting flush against the overlay? I just got some of these too, and I can't get mine to sit flush.

Also, Thunder Racing still has these billet ***** they are selling. I bought mine last week. They bought out MBA's remaining stock.
Mine sits perfect. I don't know why yours doesn't fit, possibly not drilled/machined deep enough? That really wouldn't make sense though, because the are cnc'd. I'm not really sure man

Thunder only has the ***** in satin finish though I believe. I still made out better becuase I would of had to anodize them anyways. You're right though, I don't know how many they have left though.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow that looks real good
Old 01-28-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Mine sits perfect. I don't know why yours doesn't fit, possibly not drilled/machined deep enough? That really wouldn't make sense though, because the are cnc'd. I'm not really sure man

Thunder only has the ***** in satin finish though I believe. I still made out better becuase I would of had to anodize them anyways. You're right though, I don't know how many they have left though.

I guess I'll just mess with it some more or something. Not sure what the problem is.

Yes they still only have the satin finish, but it's what I wanted so it worked out for the both of us I guess lol

Looks real good btw.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

looks good man, but I hope you aren't wearing pink pants............
Old 01-28-2006, 09:46 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
looks good man, but I hope you aren't wearing pink pants............
LOL, pink is my color man, you got a problem?

They are actually red, I don't know why they look pink.

Which brings me to another point.... This 400 dollar Canon digital camerais crap. I can't get it to take a good picture for my life. There's something about the way the picture looks that bugs me.

Of course, I suppose I could be the problem.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I have them too and yes they were a PAIN IN THE *** to install and yes the finish looked like crap.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 01-28-2006, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Where did you get your HVAC Overlay?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Damn someone got to the pants before I did, I noticed the pants were changed to w red shade as well lol....Looks awesome though man. I myself amd looking for a billet HEADLIGHT **** only...Hopefully I shall find it...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:37 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

XXXTA, check out thudner racing. Your dash is going to look cool, you definately need some of these. If you can get the mint ones from Thunder, you're better off.

They MIGHT have one. It will probably be in satin finish if they do.

Fad2blk said he got a set last week, so you may be in luck.

STK sent PM.

Rob
Old 01-29-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Email or PM (I believe its) Paul @ Thunder on here about what they have left in stock. I got a black SS shift **** off Thunder when I found out they had some remaining stock. I should get some satin ***** being it'll work perfectly with my overall pewter/black scheme, but I dunno how satin ***** will look with a black shift **** lol.

Bad ***, those red ones work PERFECT with your interior. That looks great. Next time dont be thinkin your TA's an Apache and your hands wont be shakin so much
Old 01-29-2006, 02:12 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette

Bad ***, those red ones work PERFECT with your interior. That looks great. Next time dont be thinkin your TA's an Apache and your hands wont be shakin so much
LOL, I'm working on that BTW. I don't know what to do first. Buy a new truck to pull it, or buy the boat; drink beers, and stare at it in the driveway.

I did the opposite in the engine bay. My brake master cover is red, and all the caps are polished aluminum. Then I have the LOTB head plaque, anodized in red.

***** pimpin'
Old 01-29-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen any on Ebay, may I get a link please
Old 01-29-2006, 04:46 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
I haven't seen any on Ebay, may I get a link please
I bought them last summer, the same week MBA went out of business. I doubt the kid on Ebay has any left. Like I said above though, it took a bit of work to get his ***** to look perfect.

Your best bet is to call Thunder Racing ASAP. Or PM Angie or Paul of TR and see how many they have left, if any.

Quick Reply: Finally installed my HVAC billet knobs, etc. PICS