Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior cleaning...mainly dashboard and front stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior cleaning...mainly dashboard and front stuff

What makes the dashboard and front interior surfaces (seats, consol, glove box, steering wheel, door panels) really shine?'

Basic stuff like Armor All doesn't do much. What brands will make it look good?

Old 01-29-2006, 04:34 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meguiars Natural shine. I usually apply it on a designated rag, and use it for everything.

I use it on the engine bay, probably 3-4 times a week during the summer, and the car still looks brand new.

Works mint on all the interior stuff. Dash, plastics, etc.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use meguiars nxt stuff for the interior. gives it a really nice shine, nothing too extreme like that armor all ultra shine
Old 01-29-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

I use leather conditioner on my seats and Armor All wipes, not spray, on the interior plastic. I'm looking to get away from Armor All altogether though, because it has that staining effect after a while. Wheel shine aside. The spray and leave type Armor All is the only tire shine I've found that doesn't stain, but it's a pain in the *** to use because it gets all over the rim and surrounding body areas. I just cut a piece of wood 17 inches in diameter to hold over it. Works good.

Anyway, the wipes saturate it alot more than just spray and rag for some reason. I've even used the wipes with spray sometimes.

Now the exterior, that's another story. i.e. rubber around T-tops, between hood and windshield area. Those stain like a **** with that reddish-brown because of water I think. Anytime water has seaped into my interior from the t-tops, etc. I notice it leaves a stain. I need to find a product that shines and does not stain when mixed with other elements.

Dashboard: I don't need to mess with it. There's a product called Dashhugger that is pretty good for what you pay (it's just a carpet cover fitted to your car). They are like 35$ without a logo. Don't get the Firebird logo, it's NOTHING like the actual one on the head portion. Looks more like a chicken. Not gonna link their URL, they aren't a sponsor.

If you do ever go dashboard cover, don't plan on using velcro if you've saturated the dash with a product like Armor All, hehe.. They wont stick. I had to use push pins to get it to stay on.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

I use the Meguires leather wipes on my seats and plastic parts. On the plastic parts i'll wipe it with a microfiber towel afterwards to get rid of the excess shine. It works fairly well. Leaves a nice gloss but isnt rediculously shiney.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks ya'll, I'll try the Meguires I guess.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Another vote for Meguiars Natural Shine here. The best thing is no greasy residue at all and the more you apply it to more shine it provides, great stuff IMO.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:27 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
Another vote for Meguiars Natural Shine here. The best thing is no greasy residue at all and the more you apply it to more shine it provides, great stuff IMO.
Exactly.

Armor-all doesn't cut it for me. That stuff sucks. The cool thing about natural shine is that it does eveerrrything. And like he said, the more applications you do, the better the shine.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

I'm going to have to get some of that Meguiars natural shine. i've heard good things about it!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a three bottle set of Lexol and I really like it. One is a leather cleaner, leather "shiner" and protectant, and the other is for all vinyl, rubber, plastic etc to shine it up.

I liked all the products but the one thing I would do differently is to have never put on ANYTHING on the dash from the bottom of the windshield on down to where the A/C vents begin. If you've never put any there I really recommend not doing it. Once I had finished I looked over what I had done and was like, damn this looks really nice. Then I went out for a drive. If the sun goes through your windshield at certain angles, you'll get what I call half-vision. You see half of what you'd normally see out the windshield and the other half is your friggin dash. Anything on the dash that creates a mirror effect is a baddddd idea. I also put this stuff on over three months ago and I'm actually annoyed it's lasted this long. *Sigh* But a good lesson learned.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
I liked all the products but the one thing I would do differently is to have never put on ANYTHING on the dash from the bottom of the windshield on down to where the A/C vents begin. If you've never put any there I really recommend not doing it. Once I had finished I looked over what I had done and was like, damn this looks really nice. Then I went out for a drive. If the sun goes through your windshield at certain angles, you'll get what I call half-vision. You see half of what you'd normally see out the windshield and the other half is your friggin dash. Anything on the dash that creates a mirror effect is a baddddd idea. I also put this stuff on over three months ago and I'm actually annoyed it's lasted this long. *Sigh* But a good lesson learned.
I've got bad news for ya, I did the same exact freaking think like 6 months ago and it still reflects... I definately learned my lesson on that one.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like I'll have a good New Year's Resolution going into '07 then!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Try out Mcguiars dash and trim foam. I use it on everything besides my seats (I use a good creme leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats) and it cleans the dash and doors really good, add's a little shine without that "Armor all sticky look". It also is really easy to use being a foam, no overspray on the winshield or windows. It also smells really good, and the smell lasts for a while.

Quick Reply: Interior cleaning...mainly dashboard and front stuff