Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5" Autometer tach

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5" Autometer tach

Hey guys, wondering where the two boxes that supply power and signals to the guages are located so I can hook up my tach. I know which pins to plug into, just not a clue where they are at.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Launching!

does the tach in your dash not work?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

tach in the dash works fine, I just bought a new autometer tach with a shift light and want to hook it up tomorrow
Old 02-07-2006, 08:58 PM
liqour enthusiest

the green wire goes to a wire in the pcm(thats where i tapped into for mine
you have to cut the orange wire i believe to get it to be exact for the rpms. im not positive so dont hold me to it, maybe someone else will chime in and help you out.
red is power
white is for the light
black is ground
green is signal
Old 02-09-2006, 03:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
Actually they don't
Old 02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
Does the water temp gauge in your dash work?? Answer: NO
Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Um, the tach functions perfectly fine in our cars, unlike the water temp/oil pressure, unless you have a 98. I don't personally see the point of installing a 5" tach, especially if you just wanted a shift light. But, maybe he didn't know you can purchase them separately.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Um, the tach functions perfectly fine in our cars, unlike the water temp/oil pressure, unless you have a 98. I don't personally see the point of installing a 5" tach, especially if you just wanted a shift light. But, maybe he didn't know you can purchase them separately.

The tach in our cars does not work perfectly fine. It is slow and lags behind by as much as 200-300 RPMs compared to the more accurate Autometer tachs. This can be pretty important under hard acceleration and when getting close to redline if you don't want to hit the rev limiter all the time.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by parbreak
The tach in our cars does not work perfectly fine. It is slow and lags behind by as much as 200-300 RPMs compared to the more accurate Autometer tachs. This can be pretty important under hard acceleration and when getting close to redline if you don't want to hit the rev limiter all the time.
PRECISELY why I have a 5" autometer tach. Personally, I think it looks badass as well as working much better than the stock tachometer.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

To piggy back on this thread, I am trying to hook mine up too. Where do you tap in to the dash lights?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parbreak
That's what the shift light is for. Hooked directly to the pcm readout you know when to shift, regardless of how laggy your tach is. Not trying to start a war here, just trying to figure out the reasons behind the aftermarket tach in our cars.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
That's what the shift light is for. Hooked directly to the pcm readout you know when to shift, regardless of how laggy your tach is. Not trying to start a war here, just trying to figure out the reasons behind the aftermarket tach in our cars.
Because with an aftermarket tach you can easily change your shift points to whatever RPM you want unlike hooking into the PCM which will limit your shift light to lighting at one RPM value. Not to mention the fact that some tachs have a replay function. I might find my best shift point is 5700 RPM according to my tuning parameters whereas someone else might want to shift at 6100 RPMs. And don't discount the fact that some people may just like the look of a 5" tach, if it's not to your taste that's fine, but someone else may like it.

Bryan
Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek98z
To piggy back on this thread, I am trying to hook mine up too. Where do you tap in to the dash lights?
There are 4 wires going into the dimmer switch, green, gray, brown and black. The wire you need to tap into is the green one. This will allow the aftermarket gauges to dim/brighten with the factory gauges.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have pics after the install? I'd like to see how it looks and where you decided to put the tach
Old 03-25-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to be an ***...but, I can't stand the huge tachs with shiftlites either. But, what I did was buy an AutoMeter shiftlite. I mounted it on my steering column, then bought an assortment of pills. It comes with a few stock, but I bought some ones it didn't have. I can cahnge the shift rpm driving down the road...I can yank out the 6200 and put in a 3k if I want to set the light off during normal driving for the hell of it, or I can pull it out and put in a 7k and go for broke. So, therefore you aren't 'limited' by tapping into the PCM as to where you are going to shift at.

-Jason
Old 03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

You're not being an "***", perhaps just a little narrow minded. What is the hangup if someone wants to put a 5" tach in their car? While you're playing around with pills and trying not to drop them while driving down the highway, I'm simply turning a dial on my tach to a specific RPM down to the 100's accuracy(any RPM) and not have to fumble around selecting pills. I don't understand a LOT of things people do to these cars in the name of appearance or sometimes even performance, but it's their cars and they can do what they want. Legitimate reasons have been given to have an aftermarket tach and to recap:

1) Stock tach is slow
2) Ease of selecting a specific RPM
3) Playback features on some tachs.
4) Yes, some people simply like the way they look and no they are not "rice"
5) Yes. you are limited to the shift points that the pills come in unless you buy a pill for every 100 RPMs.

Bryan
Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Nice description parbreak. I too like the 5" tachs and am wanting to put one in soon. I do like the way they look but they have a lot more functionality and options than a stock tach.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

You will have four wires coming from the tach. White,Red,Black (ground) and green. Red wire i spliced into the orange wire in the back of the radio. The white wire i also spliced i think into my fog lights i can't remember the color of the wire it's been a while. I grounded the black wire to a screw that holds my radio into the dash. The green wire you will need to run into you pcm #10 pin my car is a 2001 i believe that differs between years. You can run that wire through a rubber grommet on the passenger side under the glove box. I used a coat hanger and taped the wire to it to get it though. Also you need to have the tach calibrated to a 4cyl all you have to do is clip the blue wire on the back of the tach. This is what i did for a autometer tach with shift light. Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

I know it is an old thread but there was a call for pics and I just put on in my Vette this weekend so here is a pic

This one show the dash tach a little slow
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by REDGAR
I know it is an old thread but there was a call for pics and I just put on in my Vette this weekend so here is a pic
http://www.corvettechallenge.info/edgar/tach170.JPG
http://www.corvettechallenge.info/edgar/tach181.JPG
you wouldnt have a video showing both tach's going at the same time to see how much of a difference there is would you?

Quick Reply: 5" Autometer tach