Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

turtle wax "ice" wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen some reviews, with pictures, of people trying ICE and after only a few weathered days the ICE had little or no protection on the paint. Sure it looks nice but durability seems to suck.

Not to mention.. when I tried it I couldnt help but to use too much product because the stuff is like water. No matter how I tried to control the flow out of the bottle it seemed the slightest squeeze shot out too much ICE.. and resulted in wasted product on the ground. Almost seems like they put that little squirt top there on purpose. I also noticed that since it did apply clear and dried clear it was hard to see where I may have missed when applying and removing. The clear application and removal can be both a good thing, no white residue, and a bad thing, dont know where it is or isnt.

Bottom line is.. its a OK product. Turtle wax is a good company that has been around a long time but I find the ICE to be more "hype" then anything. There are products out there that are far better and add a ton more REAL protection. (durability)

Ill stick to the Meguiars stuff. Im just glad Walmart took the ICE back w/o a receipt and Im glad they carried NXT cause all I got was credit... the ICE seems to be kinda pricey as well. I think it was about $16-17 for the ICE wax.. polish.. sealant.. whatever it really is. The spray detailer was $9.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

I have yet to open the bottle...I really hope it lasts longer than you guys are saying...

I'll be using it on a car that from now on will rarely ever see weather other than a nice day otherwise it stays in the garage. I was going to use the ICE and the spray quick detailer to keep up the good looks. If it is applied on a CLEAN car (wash/claybar/scratch remover/polished etc) I would think it would last a while?

Last edited by BlackHawk T/A; 04-27-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

I just tried it on my red TA...it leaves an incredible shine that is better than any Meguiars product I've used. Of course, like mentioned above, the durability sucks. But seriously, this stuff goes on and off so easy - I can wash, dry, clean the wheels and "Ice" the entire car in just an hour, so I'm not all that worried about the durability
Old 04-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avengeance
I actually bought it... tried it on my beater... took it back and got some Meguiars NXT.
I did the same thing and it really didnt do much for me. but then again the paint isnt in the best shape. seems to watered down. I like using some elbow grease but thats just me. Also its kinda expensive i paid 19 and some change at walmart. Just my .02 cents
Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

I tried it today, but I bought the quick detailer spray bottle, not the normal bottle. Is the spray stuff different than the other stuff because yes it did give a great shine after using it, but it left smear marks everywhere and this is on a white car I cant imagine on a black or dark colored car. I had to go out in the sun and look closely to find all them to buff them off. IMO the detailer didnt come off very well like everyone is saying this ICE stuff comes off, so I am left to assume the quick detailer ICE is different than the ICE in the bottle....

****EDIT****

I went out and bought some microfiber cloths tonight and gave it a few more coats and this time it came off no problem. Using a terry towel to wipe the excess off and then the microfiber to get the shine works awesome....before when it was streaking I was just using a terry towel to wipe it and another terry towel to shine it which didnt work....Now i think this stuff is super easy to put on and take off. I am still gonna stick to my NXT for wax tho, and then use this ICE for my spray detailer...

Last edited by YoungGunLs1; 04-27-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

i got the ice wax yesterday and used it on my black ss and it looks amazing, it has an incredible shine and most of the swirl marks i had in my paint are gone even if it is only temporary. the best part of this product is that you can use it in direct sunlight and it doesnt affect the way the car turns out looking afterwards
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

I tried it and it did nothing of the sort....I hated it. Turtle Wax sucks at life......who the hell comes out with a clear wax? You have no idea when it is on or off!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it really dosnt do that great for us silver cars... just for the black parts
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Launching!

I don't know about this stuff, but I used the Turtle Wax black wax and it sucked, it was really hard to get off the paint and wore off in a few days, and since then I really haven't like Turtle Wax too much, my buddy just got the NXT and he loves it.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM
On the tree

I have always used either Meguires stuff or Zymosil with great success. Well I bought some of the Turtle wax ICE and used it as well this weekend on my 2001 Red Formula and my wifes 2006 Silver Lincoln LS.

Both cars came out looking great, it does cover alot of the minor scratches and make the paint look very fluid and smooth.

It is 10x easier to apply and remove then regular ole liquid wax and does not bother black rubber or plastic parts. My car had just came out of the paiont shop fro repairs from a idiot that side swiped me and the shop had buffed the entire car out for me so I had a relatively good camvus to start with. Car looks great.

I am going to watch the durability and see what is does over the next month or so. I planned on buying some more Zymosil or Zaino this time around.

I am sure that the time is near to where the wax technology should get to where it is easy to apply and remove and gives you good protection with all of the advancement in technologu.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

you definitely need to use a microfiber towerl that comes with it, or one of your own.

Using a terry towel or any other 100% cotton towel just doesnt seem to get it off.

Though when done and using the detailer spray.. and tossing up a towel on the hood... it stays on the hood.

Vs when I used Zaino... 3 days later when I used the california duster thing and used the spray detailer.. the towel just slid right off hehe.

though the shines look about the same.. currently i cant garage "raven" soooo im forced to get by for now with turtle ice hehe.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Ive seen some reviews, with pictures, of people trying ICE and after only a few weathered days the ICE had little or no protection on the paint. Sure it looks nice but durability seems to suck.
x2. I have a friend that has used it on his Grand Am. It looks great when its all taken off, but a week and a half later, it was in the rain and there was no "beeding." I think that the "wax" just wore off.

Ed
Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by reject
got some more angle shots of the silver? we all know silver is a harder color to really see
Not the same car, but same color and wax was used.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Junkie

hmmmm ... i might have to give this stuff a try
Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great product for a quick shine-goes on and off really easy. I like the fact that you can get it on the glass and plastic and it doesn't leave a white mess. Also doesn't leave a white mess along the door jams, hoods, ect. I still use a carnuba wax periodically, but the Ice is great for a quick shine.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Holy thread revival batman.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have to remove your old wax first or does it work fine going over it? me am confuzd

JG
Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the ice stuff for a little while and it doesn't seem to last quite as long as mequiars gold class, but the shine is better and it does go on quite a bit easier. I usually throw a coat of wax on whenever I wash the car anyways. I'm going to keep on using this stuff for regular waxing. I still use the gold class every couple of times or if I know it may be a little while before I can wash it again.

Also, it won't leave white residue on plastic and rubber, which is pretty cool

***NOTE*** I'm using the ICE paste, not the liquid. IMHO paste waxes have always held up better than liquids anyways.

Is anybody else using the paste or just the liquid?

Last edited by jimbo98z; 05-15-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gave my Turtle Ice polish away,didn't like it and doesn't seem to last.It did have a good shine though.Meg's and Zaino seem to last way longer.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used it the other day. I would say its awsome and the product to use for a quick wax and extreme shine. If you want longer protection stick to a standard wax. I will keep my ICE when I want something quick but I will use NXT as my standard wax.

Quick Reply: turtle wax "ice" wax