Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both pro comps and ultra lights
Old 03-22-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

Why has no one said Carbon Fiber? I don't think they look ricey at all, and I think they look a lot cleaner and more professional than the cobalts et al.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why dont you just tap your light + wire into a wire for the hvac bulbs or other instrument panel bulbs that way you can raise and lower the brightness with your stock dimmer?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Why dont you just tap your light + wire into a wire for the hvac bulbs or other instrument panel bulbs that way you can raise and lower the brightness with your stock dimmer?
The Cobalts are LEDs... they dont work like that. You have to buy an aftermarket dimmer.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh, i see.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Why has no one said Carbon Fiber? I don't think they look ricey at all, and I think they look a lot cleaner and more professional than the cobalts et al.
Now that is rice. Carbon fiber is used as a light weight but strong replacement on different types of race cars. Ricers started decorating with it. Some looks good, that's fine.

But now there is this whole fo-carbon fiber trend. It's not even carbon fiber just vinyl colored to look like it (example the carbon fiber gauges). To me, just my opinion, but that's very rice.

Originally Posted by Avengeance
The Cobalts are LEDs... they dont work like that. You have to buy an aftermarket dimmer.
Correct. Or just stick a resistor in line with the light's power supply.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ultra Lite here too. For nite looks with out a doubt the Cobalt or the C2s. If you got the money to spend!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the C2s in my Stang and used the factory dimmer, worked perfect. The reason I hated them was because at the right light, the rest of my speedo would be dim as hell.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Now that is rice. Carbon fiber is used as a light weight but strong replacement on different types of race cars. Ricers started decorating with it. Some looks good, that's fine.

But now there is this whole fo-carbon fiber trend. It's not even carbon fiber just vinyl colored to look like it (example the carbon fiber gauges). To me, just my opinion, but that's very rice.

Correct. Or just stick a resistor in line with the light's power supply.
Autometer's use real C/F in their gauges and I think they look much more subtle and professional (i.e. not plastic and cheap) than the other autometer gauges. JMO though and you're entitled to yours as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

No offense but IMHO the CF autometers are the least "professional" looking gauges they offer. Although my experiences with the Nexus series left me thinking they looked kinda "cheap" as well.

All opinions... a real good friend of mine has CFs.. I just dont like them at all. They just kind of strike me as more novelty then anything. If that makes any sense.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the new Series II Autometer gauges?? You know, the ones with the backlit LED through the numbers like the factory gauges??? There's a large variety of those out now including Phantom II and Ultra-Lite II as well as the Sport-Comp II. Food for though.

I'm personally ordering a nexus Boost/Fuel Pressure/Oil Pressure for another project car (ordering today) and if I like those in that car will just get another set for my boosted 93 T/A project that's in process.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
What about the new Series II Autometer gauges?? You know, the ones with the backlit LED through the numbers like the factory gauges??? There's a large variety of those out now including Phantom II and Ultra-Lite II as well as the Sport-Comp II. Food for though.

I'm personally ordering a nexus Boost/Fuel Pressure/Oil Pressure for another project car (ordering today) and if I like those in that car will just get another set for my boosted 93 T/A project that's in process.
I would have gone with the Sport Comp IIs with the LEDs... I really wanted to. The thing is the SportComp II boost gauge is only available in 0-30psi. When youre only running 10psi or so you dont use enough of the gauge on a gauge that sweeps 0-30psi, and that bothers me with how much Im paying for them. Plus at a glance, when youre using more gauge, its easier to see more accurately where you are at when in boost. The regular SportComp is available in 0-30psi and 0-15psi... so I went with the SportComp original 0-15psi. Of course that meant I had to run the original SportComp FP gauge too... one SportComp II with LED mixed with a original SportComp would look funky.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Ultralite II's they rock!

Old 03-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fastbird93

Well f@ck me in the goat @ss!!! My Cobalts maybe for sale and replaced with Ultra-Lite II's soon....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the cobalts!
I didnt, I tapped into the fuse labeled IP dimmer, and the gauge lights go up and down with the interior lights
Attached Thumbnails Best kind of autometer gauges-guages.jpg  
Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Well f@ck me in the goat @ss!!! My Cobalts maybe for sale and replaced with Ultra-Lite II's soon....
I take that back, sticking with the Cobalts.

The new II series are cool, but I still like the Cobalts best.

Ultra-Lite II a close second.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
Another vote for the cobalts!

I didnt, I tapped into the fuse labeled IP dimmer, and the gauge lights go up and down with the interior lights
you can also tap into the ashtray light and that works as a dimmer to.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 AM
12 Second Club

I tried tapping the dimmer wire.. while it did dim it just didnt dim right. Like when the dash was real dim the cobalts were still way bright in comparison. Are you guys seeing that as well? Ive seen the Cobalts hooked up to the aftermarket dimmer switch and they dim a lot differently... or more accurately I guess you could say.

This is the thingy Im talking about..

http://autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=185
Old 04-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

I tried tapping the dimmer wire.. while it did dim it just didnt dim right. Like when the dash was real dim the cobalts were still way bright in comparison. Are you guys seeing that as well? Ive seen the Cobalts hooked up to the aftermarket dimmer switch and they dim a lot differently... or more accurately I guess you could say.

This is the thingy Im talking about..

http://autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=185
I am with you. Not sure what these guys are talking about. Maybe they think it works because the Cobalts shut off when the dimmer is all the way down???
Old 04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

I am with you. Not sure what these guys are talking about. Maybe they think it works because the Cobalts shut off when the dimmer is all the way down???

No I hooked up the colbalt 2's to the ashtray light and they dim down just like the dash lights do. I wish I had a video of it ,but it was in a customers car and he lives a good ways away.It will work I can gurantee it

Quick Reply: Best kind of autometer gauges