Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mr. Clean Auto Dry. Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its good stuff, I've used it many times when I was in a hurry.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haven't tried one, but I would buy it before your GF does. If you buy it and don't like it you can toss it out. If she buys it as a present for you it's going to be harder to throw away if you don't like it.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aside from manually drying my car, Mr Clean is the only way to keep water spots off after washing. Though I usually use the spray on Mr Clean soap as kind of a "pre-soak", then wash the car by hand with another kind of soap in a bucket, then rinse it off with Mr Clean. Sparkling shine every time.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

I bought one back when they first came out, it was decent and yes it did work as advertised. My biggest gripe with it is I am very thorough when I clean my car and thier soap just wasnt cutting it, I mean its really weaksauce. When I detail the car afterwards, my microfiber towel would be picking up dirt that the rinse didnt get. That pretty much sealed the fate of Mr Clean for me, I havent used it since nor will I ever use it again. I guess its ok for washing a crappy car you dont care too much about and dont want to spend an hour cleaning it in the hot sun, otherwise it didnt cut it as far as Im concerned.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 AM
In Need of Cup Holders!

I use it every time I wash my car.

First, I just wash my car like normal (bucket + soap + sponge + power washer), then once Im done, I just spray it all over with the Auto Dry. I dont use it when Im actually washing the car.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

It goes against everything I ever learned about detailing a car... Ive actually freaked out a couple times waiting for the filtered water to dry... and before I know it Im hand drying with my absorber anyways.

I dunno... Ive used it a couple times but it just doesnt feel right so now it sits in my garage.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

I bought one when it 1st came out and I loved it. The filter says when it turns brown its time to replace it. hahaha. Everytime I got a new one, as soon as the 1st bit of water was sprayed through it, it turned brown. It still works fine though. Ive used it for way over 5 washes and it worked fine for me and my car is black.

Last edited by Onez4u2bn; 03-22-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hard water here, and it works 100% as advertised if you follow the directions.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

I got one when if first came out.....I love it!

I have the delux one now (that's the 35 or so dollar one). Worth every penny! Saves so much time.

I used to always get water spots every time....now with Mr. Clean I don't. What I do is let the car air dry and then hit it with fast detailer.....rewaxed and looks great every single time!

I cringe at life before it came out.......lol.......
Old 03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by giant016
Haven't tried one, but I would buy it before your GF does. If you buy it and don't like it you can toss it out. If she buys it as a present for you it's going to be harder to throw away if you don't like it.

That is exactlly what I was thinking of doing. When I looked at them, they had a kit that had a kit that was $35, I didn't know that there are two kits. I'm probably just going to pick up the smaller one without the extra stuff, they must have been out when I looked at them last. $18 bucks is nothing, I've wasted that much on stuff much more useless than this could ever be.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrws6speed
I have the delux one now (that's the 35 or so dollar one). Worth every penny! Saves so much time.
That's the one that I saw in the store, bit they didn't have the $18 one there to compare to. What is the difference in the two anyway?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Deluxe one has a supposedly more powerful spray setting and has a quick disconnect piece and a hard case to keep it in. It also came with a wash mitt that kind of sucked. I used it on my truck and the Fiancee's car. I only use super soft chanelle(I think that's what they are) mitts on the Camaro.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have one. It does work as advertised but it just does't leave any shine to the paint. The car looks dull and dingy after a wash not sure why but I feel like it would take my zanio right off the car. I could go and do a full zanioing with 3-4 coats and it would look amazing then after 1-2 washes with the mr.clean it looked like ****. With using the zanio soap its been atleast 3 months since the last time i applied it and probably at least 12 washes and it still looks great. I do think I will start using it for the filtration on the final rinse to reduce water spots.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JonB
I also have one. It does work as advertised but it just does't leave any shine to the paint. The car looks dull and dingy after a wash not sure why but I feel like it would take my zanio right off the car. I could go and do a full zanioing with 3-4 coats and it would look amazing then after 1-2 washes with the mr.clean it looked like ****. With using the zanio soap its been atleast 3 months since the last time i applied it and probably at least 12 washes and it still looks great. I do think I will start using it for the filtration on the final rinse to reduce water spots.

That's not good if it reduces the shine that much. I'm probably going to buy one today to try it out. If it doesn't work as well as I had hoped then I'll give it to my dad's girlfriend to use on the Rendevous, that thing sucks to wash.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Teching In

I love my Mr Clean system for only one thing, its filtering system.
I use normal methods to wash my car, then use the MR Clean system for its Rinse abilities (it filters the water and thats all its good for).
I used to spend an hour hand drying it, now all I do is spray it with the Mr Clean on its Rinse selection and all else turns out fine.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use it all the time, and i use some old school blue coral car soap and it looks great and saves time.........i dont mind chaning filters they normally last me about 6 washes
Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went ahead and got one, haven't got a chance to try it out yet, but probably will tomorrow since my clean car was pulled out of the garage today while I was gone and got rained on.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

no replacement for hand washing
Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
its a nice system, use it on my black truck. saw a big difference in the water filteration. before regular water would dry fast on the truck and leave a lot of dirt behind. the mr clean filter does a good job of fixing that so i dont even have to dry by hand, that alone is worth it. also 35 bucks? i got mine for 17 or 18 at target and the replacement soap n filters are not that bad if u buy them online.

Works great on my black Camaro
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Ive been using it over a year now and havent looked back. Spray it down with regular nozzle, spray soapy water on it, handwash it, spray it down again with regular nozzle, then spray it down with filtered nozzle. NO water spots, no hand drying, no hassle.

Replacement soap and filter is only like $5 each, no biggie.

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Auto Dry. Junk?