Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What's your opinion on Maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
While some Maacos are franchised, many of them are privately owned and they take pride in doing a good job. You just need to ask to see some of their work.

Now, Maaco uses DuPont paint and clear coat which is not shitty paint at all. Secondly, they spray 3-4 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear(that is the one near me) for their base coat/clear coat package. Maybe they dont prep the car perfectly, but its not too hard to prep a car for paint, just takes time and patience. Lastly, Maaco's paint comes with a 5 year warranty, so even if something happens to it down the road, it will be covered.

Also, when you pay for a paint job, you pay for the prep work mostly. Its not hard to spray a car, as long as you cat it evenly and give it proper flash time between coats, but a good paint job is only as good as the prep work.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still find it hard to believe that for under $2k you can give a 4-8 year old car (99-2002 fbods) a decent color change if theyre a DD with normal wear and tear on the body. Labor on aligning the panels, door jams, all the little bits. Maybe im just stuck on the $10k show finishes seen on overhaulin' (cuz thats such a good show).
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
I still find it hard to believe that for under $2k you can give a 4-8 year old car (99-2002 fbods) a decent color change if theyre a DD with normal wear and tear on the body. Labor on aligning the panels, door jams, all the little bits. Maybe im just stuck on the $10k show finishes seen on overhaulin' (cuz thats such a good show).

a complete color change done right will cost around 8k
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
No one said anything about panel aligning etc... Not talking about stripping the car to the frame, sending it off to get dipped etc...

Also, you should see those cars in person sometime... I love Chip Foose and have met him a few times (his shop is about 20 minutes away) and chatted for over half an hour... he does great work BUT some of the cars in person have issues... obviously due to the time restraints...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

If I was going to pay 8k for a color change I would just spend 8k on a car that color to begin with... Theres no reason a color change should cost $8k... My friend got his red hood color changed completely top and bottom baked and wetsanded for $300 at a VERY respectable shop in this area, so its hard to believe a whole car could cost 25 times that of a hood...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
If I was going to pay 8k for a color change I would just spend 8k on a car that color to begin with... Theres no reason a color change should cost $8k... My friend got his red hood color changed completely top and bottom baked and wetsanded for $300 at a VERY respectable shop in this area, so its hard to believe a whole car could cost 25 times that of a hood...

yes!!! did they have to remove all the glass and panels from your friends hood?

oh by the way! i have been to CCC pathways estimating school 3 times. i own my own shop and manage a very large chevrolet dealerships shop also.

8k is about right!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EDawg
i own my own shop and manage a very large chevrolet dealerships shop also.

8k is about right!
Yeah, and $1200 is about right to change an opti-spark... well that's what the DEALER wanted...

If you are COMPLETELY removing EVERY interior piece, glass etc... and spraying THE ENTIRE car I could see $8K... but not for the standard color change which is NORMALLY exterior, engine bay and door jams...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys first of all I got a white 94 formula.. putting on a white ram air hood/white hatch/front bumper from another car... (hopefully it matches) but my problems are really

-both rear quarters have some hail dmg
-passenger quarter is pushed in alittle behind wheel (very unoticable cept from the back s-10 nudged it in last owners driveway)
-ram air hood, hatch, front bumper dont match how much to blend??

how much would it cost to have all this done probably??
Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdm1234
if you're going to paint your car, have it done right.
Agreed 110%!!! Maaco finishes were never meant to last. Once in a great while, you get that quality job from them, but that is too few, too far between. This is your investment and for most of us, we plan on keeping our rides for a long while. Might as well sheel out the extra $$$ and get it done right!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from Maaco plain and simple!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WICKED SS
Stay away from Maaco plain and simple!

nice car, i had a 95!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

my buddy just had his car painted by our locally owned maaco. We did all the prep work ourselves, and all the body work ourselves, so the end result was DECENT, but worth the $350 IMO.

He plans on having it painted a different color every winter , they actually did a very good job hitting everything they needed to for the color change, under hood, door jambs, around taillights... paint probly wont last long though anyways.

Now my paint job on my 71 Chevelle costed around 7k, it was a complete color change, and looks absolutely flawless, it was wet sanded the last time with 2000 grit paper. I got a real good deal on it because i know the guy that owns the garage, most cars with this paint job leave with a 13k price tag.

If your looking for good paint work, dont go to maaco though.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Ummm,, HORRIBLE. They painted my DD, didn't even sand it so you can see the stock pin stripes on it, paint just looked like hell and still rubs off to this day.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clayton02LS1
Ummm,, HORRIBLE. They painted my DD, didn't even sand it so you can see the stock pin stripes on it, paint just looked like hell and still rubs off to this day.
Now THAT is the normal Maaco job... I see so many cars cruising around with painted over emblems !

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on Maaco?