Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

!bodykit aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you could just check out local bodyshops instead of asking us since we live nowhere near you and some guys might not charge alot around ya!

and as far as the z06 wheels comment goes, don't take your anger out on me for having a bodykit on an otherwise perfectly nice car or have the stock snowflakes.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh, okay............................ ^

Old 04-02-2006, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I'll take it in this week to see how much it'll be, otherwise I may have to buy new rocker panels and front/rear bumpers which is about 850 bucks from 'gm auto parts' plus the cost of painting. I'm really feelin sick about this and I hope I didn't destroy my car.

Last edited by dmart; 04-02-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmart
Yeah I'll take it in this week to see how much it'll be, otherwise I may have to buy new rocker panels and front/rear bumpers which is about 850 bucks from 'gm auto parts' plus the cost of painting. I'm really feelin sick about this and I hope I didn't destroy my car.
Whay year/color is your car? My friend's part these cars out so maybe either they can get painted ground effects to replace yours or if you are still stuck on no ground-effects then bumpers and stuff for you (a LOT cheaper that $850 + painting).
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

There is no way that you will have to buy any new parts. It's just a matter of filling the holes properly which is no big deal. As I mentioned before, the paint work will probrably be the majority of the cost since it can be a bitch to do a blend all the way around. Did you take the little spoiler off too? I wouldn't be suprised if you where quoted $1000 or more to take care of everything start to finish. You should beable to sell the stock pieces for about $600.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Whay year/color is your car? My friend's part these cars out so maybe either they can get painted ground effects to replace yours or if you are still stuck on no ground-effects then bumpers and stuff for you (a LOT cheaper that $850 + painting).
Sorry, I see it's a 2000, what color?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
There is no way that you will have to buy any new parts. It's just a matter of filling the holes properly which is no big deal. As I mentioned before, the paint work will probrably be the majority of the cost since it can be a bitch to do a blend all the way around. Did you take the little spoiler off too? I wouldn't be suprised if you where quoted $1000 or more to take care of everything start to finish. You should beable to sell the stock pieces for about $600.
I forgot about that d@mn spoiler, it's bolted on the sides also. If you take it off you will definetly have to have the quarters painted and possibly the hatch for blending.

How do you figure he'll get $600 for what he says are trashed pieces??? Even mint shape $600 is more than stretching it for factory style pieces isn't it?

Are the holes that obvious? Just wondering if anyone besides you would notice them...
Old 04-02-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

As long as the peices are straight they should bring good money, doesn't matter if the paint is junk. Hell one stock front peice is about $240 from GM Parts Direct. I think that the right buyer would pay that for the whole kit including the wing and mounting hardware, no aftermarket kit can beat the quality of the stock peices.

FWIW: Many shops would probrably shoot the rockers and lower part of the car, then blend up a foot or so instead of reclearing the whole panel. It's harder for your eye to catch a blend so low to the ground.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

It's red and no I didn't take the lip off, I cannot imagine what that would look like after removing it I suppose there is really no way of knowing what it's going to run until I take it in, thanks for all of the help guys. Hope this turns out ok!

Edit:
What bothers me the most about it is the holes in the plastic seem to be raised. So you can't really see the holes but you can see 'bumps' where the holes are. Also I think doing something to the rockers would be required since it would rust to all hell if I didn't. I'll see if I can get a picture up.

Last edited by dmart; 04-02-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

As long as the peices are straight they should bring good money, doesn't matter if the paint is junk. Hell one stock front peice is about $240 from GM Parts Direct. I think that the right buyer would pay that for the whole kit including the wing and mounting hardware, no aftermarket kit can beat the quality of the stock peices.

FWIW: Many shops would probrably shoot the rockers and lower part of the car, then blend up a foot or so instead of reclearing the whole panel. It's harder for your eye to catch a blend so low to the ground.
True, especially if his car still has the factory door guards, they could clear it to there. They'd still have to shoot the door jams though right? Maybe they could find a line and not have to spray that far...

Also a good point about the GM parts being more than aftermarket. I think if he were to just scuff them up and primer them he'd get a lot more for them than as is.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

It's red and no I didn't take the lip off, I cannot imagine what that would look like after removing it I suppose there is really no way of knowing what it's going to run until I take it in, thanks for all of the help guys. Hope this turns out ok!

Edit:
What bothers me the most about it is the holes in the plastic seem to be raised. So you can't really see the holes but you can see 'bumps' where the holes are. Also I think doing something to the rockers would be required since it would rust to all hell if I didn't. I'll see if I can get a picture up.
Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sheesh, we make fun of the ricers with the body kits held on by tape... but sheesh.

Besides I think 3m tape is just yummy.

I think you can just tape around the holes and coat it man. Then cover it with stuff on the side you can't see and watch it on the side that is visible.

I'm not saying that as a permanent solution just as a hold by until you get everything figured out. They have stuff that turns rust into black primer. It really does work though and when I did it to my POS 301 ci '77 Firebird the rust never came back.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

ive always wanted to buy a factory body kit. i like them. especially the front.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Taking her in today, man I hope they can fix it without too much trouble/cost. BTW with some sanding the body pieces would be good to go
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Taking her in today, man I hope they can fix it without too much trouble/cost. BTW with some sanding the body pieces would be good to go
Cool, let us know what they say. As far as the ground effects, I would sand all the old paint off, finish with 320 grit, and then just hit them with some primer to make them somewhat presentable. Would probrably get the most possible money going that route.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics!!!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol man... shoulda left them things on there... what a waste of time and money.

BTW...Did you weigh all the gfx panels just to see what you saved?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little bit off topic, but your (GM Muscle's) car is one of my favorite camaros on the whole site and has been for a while. I really dont think i would like it very much without the gfx... but maybe thats just me.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
lol man... shoulda left them things on there... what a waste of time and money.

BTW...Did you weigh all the gfx panels just to see what you saved?
Well you don't have to tell me

Anyways brought it in and he said the rockers/front fenders would need to be welded (like you guys said) and the bumpers could be patched. So basically for 850 bucks I can get the rear bumper, fenders and rockers fixed. Add another 250 to that for the front bumper (which isnt as noticable because the pieces do not wrap around the entire front). The job would take 3-4 days.

I thought for sure the guy was gonna really get me on this like 2+ and 2 weeks of work. 1100 to take off the bodywork from start to finish...wonder what it costs to put a new body kit on? Probably the same

I'll try to get pics up before I get it fixed I just gotta find the stupid cable for my camera. BTW anyone want to buy a red body kit
Old 04-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Well you don't have to tell me

Anyways brought it in and he said the rockers/front fenders would need to be welded (like you guys said) and the bumpers could be patched. So basically for 850 bucks I can get the rear bumper, fenders and rockers fixed. Add another 250 to that for the front bumper (which isnt as noticable because the pieces do not wrap around the entire front). The job would take 3-4 days.

I thought for sure the guy was gonna really get me on this like 2+ and 2 weeks of work. 1100 to take off the bodywork from start to finish...wonder what it costs to put a new body kit on? Probably the same

I'll try to get pics up before I get it fixed I just gotta find the stupid cable for my camera. BTW anyone want to buy a red body kit
This should be stickied for any others who have the thought of ripping off their stock ground effects .