Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Black car owners....what is your trick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black car owners....what is your trick?

I am on my second black trans am....I really want to keep it looking as good as possible. I do notice some swirls in the paint and the normal paint chips on the nose cone and hood. I was told the Turtle Wax has a "black wax," does that work very well?? Also what do you dry your car with, I have a leather chamois, is that the best thing out there?? What is the best wax or polish? I need advice, I am very picky.....almost wish I would have a bought a silver car......................
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm...the title of this thread could be a little misleading. Just thought I'd point that out haha.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Start with a nice base coat and clay the car to get it clean, then i suggest using a PC buffer and a light abraisive to cut any imperfections out then my icing is a nice coat of zaino (will get flamed for it but its my favorite) will leave your car smooth and will make water bead like crazy. you can almost let the sun dry your car and wont get a spot one my best drying tool at the moment is "the absorber" found at any walmart or auto store. i have been wanting to try a micro fiber drying towel out tho, i have heard good results with them.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

Touch the car as little as possible, drive it as little as possible. I use Menzerna Intensive and then Final Polish with a PC and finish up with Tropicare. I don't care what you do with a Black finish, you will have imperfections that only look worse in the bright sunlight. Waffleweave towels are good, a blower would be better.

Black is a total pain in the ***, my car was neglected when I got it and I've gotten it about as good as I think I'm going to.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My wifes black Saab was polished with a PC and the Menzerna Intense polish a couple times, then final polish a couple times, then a nice coating of the Menzerna FMJ. It took me about 3 hours to wash the car since I claybarred it at the same time since you have to wash it after claying anyways.

During the winter, I didn't let it go more than two weeks without giving it at least a quick wash and wipe down and it seems like the paint is holding up well. Very shortly I'll hit it with another round of final polish and FMJ to bring back the shine.

I also use the ABSORBER as it works pretty well. I also have a water softener which helps for water spots.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Show Prep steps:

1. Wash in dishwashing soap twice.
2. Dry off well.
3. Wax very well with Mequires step one of there 3 step program. (paint clean)
4. Back it out wash it again with regular car wash.
5. Dry it off.
6 Wax it again, either with black wax (for aging black cars) or wax with Eagle One Nano Wax (for good condition paint).
7. Back it out wash it again with car wash.
8. Last step is to use a quick detailer on it then your golden.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my94blackz
Show Prep steps:

1. Wash in dishwashing soap twice.
one of the worst things you can do to your paint .. there are certain instances when it may be called for, but it should never be part of your normal routine.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gipraw
one of the worst things you can do to your paint .. there are certain instances when it may be called for, but it should never be part of your normal routine.
Dishwashing soap only does one thing, strips wax. If your gonna wax the car it hurts nothing.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my94blackz
Dishwashing soap only does one thing, strips wax. If your gonna wax the car it hurts nothing.

not going to hijack the thread here, but you are wrong .. it removes oils from the paint and dries it out. like I said .. there are times when it might be called for, but to use it as part or your regular maintenance is not good.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

I've heard great things about that Zaino wax. I don't know how people here feel about it.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gipraw
not going to hijack the thread here, but you are wrong .. it removes oils from the paint and dries it out. like I said .. there are times when it might be called for, but to use it as part or your regular maintenance is not good.
What about the first wash of the year on a dirty car...never been clayed either. I'd really like to take EVERYTHING off the car and start new this year....
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why the hell would you use dishwashing soap? are you too lazy to go out and buy good a carwash solution or can you just not afford it? Just use normal carwash soap and strip the wax in another step. it's not hard to do. these crazy little shortcuts are what create the swirling/spiderwebbing/fading areas. the trick to make the car look good and stay good is dedication and determination. it's not a hard task, just time-consuming.

When you do it right, here's what you get.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by '96 Z28SS
...then my icing is a nice coat of zaino (will get flamed for it but its my favorite) ...
I don't think anyone will flame you for that. They are great sealants. I think the only time I jump anyone's case about Zaino is when people think it will cure all their ills.

"I have swirl marks" - Use Zaino!
"I have dents" - Zaino Z5!
"I threw a rod" - Zaino Z8!
"My wife left me for a 300lb woman named Sue" - Zaino Z2!

-Mike
Old 04-12-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a copy of a post I made over on Supra forums about how I do mine:

1st post:

I did about 3 coast of Z3, then about 5 of Z5, then I put about 10 coats of P21S on it, with Z6 in between all coats. Finally I did a couple coats a Z8 on it. When you polish that much, it helps to do a spray wax inbetween to keep the film down. Especially with P21S its really bad about film. I thought the Z8 was ok, to be honest. I think if you already have Z6. Your getting a great shine already. I just bought it to give it a shot, you can see alittle difference.

2nd post:
If you only wax your car every so often, then you want to use Zaino. It lasts longer then Carnuba. I also use Meguiars on some of my other cars. There stuff is good, but you'll need to wax your car about 6 times a year to keep it looking its best. Remember that if you want it to look great, you need to get a clean surface. To prep that, I wash the car with Dawn first, then I spray the car down so its wet, and then take a mixture 50/50 of water and alcohol. Spray the car down in sections, and just basically rub the car down with your hand. Basically work it in somewhat, but make sure it stays wet. Then spray off. After I've done that, I clay the car, then I wash it again with a good quality car wash. Once you've done that, dry it off and start the torture on your back!!! lol

I usually do a couple coats of cleaner, just to make sure I get all that crap off. This is really important in the rear, where the exhaust exits. To get that white to look really well, put a good polish on, wheather it be Zaino or whatever (menzerna is a great product as well) and just let it set. I like to see it get pretty good and dry. Don't wait to long, say 30mins after doing the whole car. You cut down on film if you wait alittle while. I would do about 3 coats of polish and you should start to see a good shine. I usually do a coat more than I think it needs. Get some P21S for your wax. I've used it for awhile now and it seems to be a really good product. You can get it at www.properautocare.com

Like I said above, I do a coat of spray wax in between every coat, but thats your decision, it helps with cutting down on film and making sure you get all the compound off. Good luck!!

The result:

Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

does the girl come with it?? ^ nice car by the way.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

That is A LOT of waxing! Holy crap!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02SLPTransAm
I am on my second black trans am....I really want to keep it looking as good as possible. I do notice some swirls in the paint and the normal paint chips on the nose cone and hood. I was told the Turtle Wax has a "black wax," does that work very well?? Also what do you dry your car with, I have a leather chamois, is that the best thing out there?? What is the best wax or polish? I need advice, I am very picky.....almost wish I would have a bought a silver car......................
I've used the Black Wax from Turtle Wax on mine and I thinked it helped a ton! It came with a little black "crayon" that filled in any rock chips, dings in paint and then you use the black wax on top of it. It was a little time consuming (not much more than a traditional wax/polish) and the end results were worth it. I'm not show car **** about mine, but I think it did my car good.

I didn't clay the car or anything...just washed it real well twice w/ Turtle Wax car wash, dried it with an absorber and then did the Black Wax.

Here's a pic of when it was finished:

Old 04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguires NXT Car Wash and Meguires NXT Tech Wax.

Awesome stuff
Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice wheels ^^^^

I forgot to mention that I used that black turtle wax. Its ok, I used it on the bottom of my hood, the crayon works really well for scratches. I honestly think its alittle to oily. It was really tough to polish out without streeks.

There's also another way to keep your car clean, that's never drive it!!!! lol
Old 04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just beware MissBehave that what you did was temporary since the black tint to the turtle wax is a bandaid to fill in the imperfections in your clear coat. Essentially you just tinted your clear coat. If it gets the desired result, that's great, but don't be surprised if you aren't satisfied with it after a short period of time.

Quick Reply: Black car owners....what is your trick?