Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to use BUFFER properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to use BUFFER properly

im new to useing a buffer im just curious what is the proper way to use one and with what materials, i have some cotton terry cloths and synthetic wool poofy things. im goona claybar my car probably soon and figured id put a good coat of wax, im thinking of doin a 3 step thing from meguires, and im guessing the buffer is the best way to do it. just lemme know your guys processes or the correct way to use it. the buffer i bought has like no directions lol.

-edit-
acutally i used my new little buffer and it came out amazing, its a 6" colmen i got for 15 bucks at wallmart it spins and moves around as its spining. im asking my question now because i just wanna make sure im doin it right and to find out if theres anything better i can do. i actually used the wool(puffy white cloud not lik other wool pads i seen at store) to put the wax on and then the terry to take it off then rubbed the car down by hand after i was done and it looks really really good alot of my swirls and scrathes are gone and its glossy as hell. but just wanted some opinions for next time i use it and actually polish with it
-Ryan-

Last edited by rgaynor85; 04-17-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the sticky's about the porter cable faq. Those guidelines apply to any random orbit polisher.

If you are a newb to using a buffer:

- Don't use a straight rotary buffer (only spins like a drill)
- Don't use wool pads

If you use the above things incorrectly you can really hose up your paint.

The main reason the Porter Cable polisher is so popular is because it is quite safe, and though it is fairly costly, even a beginner can see some really great results.

However if all you are looking to do is wax, then a buffer isn't necessary at all. Just do it by hand.

The buffer is necessary when you are doing multiple stages, and using a polish to correct flaws and scratches in the clearcoat. It is not necessary just for waxing.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an F250SD 4x4 and waxed it (and everything before it) by hand. I finally cut loose with the cash and got one of those 10" buffers from Sears when it was on sale. It was like the clouds parted, the sun shined, and the birds began singing. Screw that hand-wax sh*t! I can put on two coats of wax and remove it in the time it takes to hand job it once, and it does a better job. And, most importantly, I have more time to drink beer and look at how shiny my car/truck is. I don't think I'll wax anything bigger than my riding mower by hand ever again...

That was several years ago. Now I have a black Z28 that the paint wasn't very well taken care of prior to me buying it. It needs help bad. The Sears buffer wasn't up to the job with the single pad and terrycloth things. I broke down and got a PC DA polisher this weekend. I still have to gather the different color pads and some good liquid expendables. I can't wait!

I concur that anyone using a buffer should read the sticky.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 04-17-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: How to use BUFFER properly