Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to "smooth out" interior pieces to paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to "smooth out" interior pieces to paint

Hey all, I was looking into CF'ing some of my interior pieces myself, but have since decided against it.

I'd still like a custom interior and was looking into painting it all black. I figured this would go good with aluminum drag seats and a cage that I have planned after my head/cam install.

Anyways, I know there has to be a "proper" way to smooth down the vinyl dash, door panels, console and rear speaker panels to paint and leave a high gloss look.

I painted up my old interior on my last car and it was a disaster. I just used the interior paint from the parts store. It all chipped off and got scrathed up, etc etc.

So, how can I smooth down the interior pieces to leave a high gloss look once painted? What is the best way to prep the surface to be painted? And lastly, what is the best primer, gloss black, and clearcoat to use for a durable, permanent coat? Thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand smooth. Prime with a primer that was meant for plastic. Sand again. Start painting. Sand inbetween coats. Then clear. Wet sand after clear. 3 coats clear. That is my best guess, lol.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SVT THIS

Anyways, I know there has to be a "proper" way to smooth down the vinyl dash, door panels, console and rear speaker panels to paint and leave a high gloss look.
yes its called armor all

I painted up my old interior on my last car and it was a disaster. I just used the interior paint from the parts store. It all chipped off and got scrathed up, etc etc.
the only right way to change the color is get parts off a different color car...good luck on the project
Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

start with 200- work ur way up to 400. then primer, sand that. and the use a hvlp gun to paint it, itll look like the exterior
Old 04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

i highly reccomend usiny a coat of fiberglass resin over your dash and interiois pieces. im sure you have noticed that the dash has a "cushy" feel. the second something puts a little pressure on the paint it will crack. you need something hard to paint
Old 04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

please don't spray paint your dash!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Hey boondiggys thanks for your reply, its advice like your's that makes this site so great
If you don't have any REAL advice on how to do this, stay out of the thread. I did not ask for opinions on if I should or shouldn't do this.
For those that provide good info, thank you.

As for the fiberglass resin over the interior pieces-how hard is this to do?
I understand the premise of needing to paint something hard so it does not chip, I've just never done it. Would it be the same as using CF resin? I don't have any experience with this either, but I know I've seen CF resin at the parts store. Is there a write up somewhere on how to do this properly? I plan on getting interior parts from a salvage car so I have my originals if I mess up or ever sell the car. Thanks for the advice
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

As for the fiberglass resin over the interior pieces-how hard is this to do?
I understand the premise of needing to paint something hard so it does not chip, I've just never done it. Would it be the same as using CF resin? I don't have any experience with this either, but I know I've seen CF resin at the parts store. Is there a write up somewhere on how to do this properly? I plan on getting interior parts from a salvage car so I have my originals if I mess up or ever sell the car. Thanks for the advice
I personally have no experience laying resin on interior pieces. buut there are a few members here that have done some pretty sick jobs, im sure they will chime in
Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a good idea, would u need to sand the resin too? i havent seen that yet. i have seen people that spend many hours preping the peices, then primered then used a hvlp gun on it, came out super clean and smooth
Old 04-24-2006, 01:15 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

There's a lot to know about fiberglassing... CF resin? Not sure what that is...

I'm not a fan of painted interior parts. As you said, eventually it's probably going to get scratched somehow.

Something to be aware of however, is the amount of glare you will get from that glossy finish. That's why the factory always uses a textured, matte finish. You won't be able to she **** when sunlight hits it.

It's been done, and will be done again. I'd leave that mod to the show cars.

You won't be able to sand down the dash and spray paint it. It's going to come out like ****. Maybe it's the plastic piece behind the vinyl you are talking about?

The doors and all the other stuff can all be painted. As stated, start with a 200 grit or so to get all the texture out. Then move higher and higher, until the finish is smooth. Prime and sand again with 800 or so. Paint, clear, and wet sand and buff.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I did my whole interior on my SS. I did not sand the plastic at all because it gets furry. I wiped it down with a plastic cleaner then a adhesion promoter. I put 3-4 coats of primer on then and then sanded wit 320 then 600. I painted them and then cleared them and wet saned them flat. pics are in sig.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

If you want some real advice rather than some idiot telling you to use Armor All then shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to get results like this:

These are painted in a Cadillac Redline Pearl finish with automotive clearcoat and are smooth as a baby's ***. As far as glare goes, I don't notice it since the pieces are so small. Even did my dome light housing. This particular color is nice as it gives some good contrast against the black interior without being gawdy like bright red.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks awesome parbreak... very very smooth... and before anyone says they hate the color... its paint... pick whatever you like lol.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
That looks awesome parbreak... very very smooth... and before anyone says they hate the color... its paint... pick whatever you like lol.

Thanks man, I do what I like, not what the crowd likes. I don't take polls, I just trust my judgement and the ultimate critic, my wife

I've changed things many, many times including carbon fiber, paint, etc. It's all in having fun and experimenting with different materials and finishes. I don't lock myself into some pre-conceived notion of what a Camaro should look like. In my opinion there is tons of room for improvement over factory and that's what makes it so much fun.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 04-24-2006, 07:11 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Bryan, the way I understand his post, is that he wants to paint the dash itself. No doubt that there is going to be massive glare after doing that.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Bryan, the way I understand his post, is that he wants to paint the dash itself. No doubt that there is going to be massive glare after doing that.

Eh iv been in a custom f-150 with paitined dash and it was unbearable in the florida sun. you could occasionsally get a bad angle
Old 04-24-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
What about using a flat paint with a flat clear, wouldn't that take care of it?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
What about using a flat paint with a flat clear, wouldn't that take care of it?
Yeah but he said he wanted a high gloss finish.

I've been in some cars with a painted dash and even I couldn't see ****. I'm 6'5". It's just a bad idea IMO, even for something thats a weekend driver.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I painted my whole dash but left the dashpad (the piece that butts up to the windshield and has the defrost vent in it) flat black while the rest is gloss. I've had absolutely no problems what so ever with glare at all.

I sanded mine down a little to scuff it up and give the primer something to stick to, as Alan said though you can use adhesive promoter too, each will work good.

As for "don't use a spraycan" I used a spraycan and I'm pretty happy with my results.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Also you can go to some of the import sites those guys love to paint the hell outta their interiors also there is a guy on www.s-seriesforum.com that painted his whole inerior gloss black the pics looked good from what I remember. I'm thinking about doing similar to the red and black Camaro above but mine would be black and gray. that'll be later on though after the motor is done.

Quick Reply: How to "smooth out" interior pieces to paint