Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ram Air decal question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air decal question.

OK, Me and dad have been in the process of repainting my car. It was almost finished but he started screwing things up, over and over again. He put one of the Ram Air decals on wrong and let it sit for a few days before trying to take it off. When he did, the paint came with it. So now...gotta paint the hood for the 7th time. This leads to my question. Would it be a good idea to put the ram air decals on, then clear over top of them, and buff it? Thats what he wants to do I was wanting to know if it would make them dull or anything.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you never want to take it off, then clear over it (shouldn't make it look dull), why not paint it on, then clear it (if you really want it)
Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Too much work to paint them on. I never will want to take them off, Ram Air hoods look gay as hell with out the ram air decals in my opinion
Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Paint the car how it's supposed to be (primer, basecoats, and clearcoat), then apply the decals.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Yea,put them on after. Im in the process of the same thing as you. I was gonna paint them on (but the Blackbird strip) And like you said to much work. Just paint it wait a week and then put the decals on and maybe use some windex or soap and water so you can move them around to get them in the right spot. With painting over them,theres gonna be a bump there.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

When I had my hood repainted I had them paint the Blackbird Stripes on permanently then clear overall - but I still use decals for the 'Ram Air' and the HP/TQ Ratings at the rear of the hood.

I don't think painting over decals is a particularly good idea for (2) reasons:

1) The decal WILL eventually fade from the sun even under the clearcoat - then to replace them you're screwed and will have to mess up the paint yet again

2) If the adhesive on the decal let's up - the clear coat will lift with it and then you're screwed again.

You just need to wait for the paint to cure before sticking the decals on. I know it's hard to wait - but if the hood was painted correctly, and allowed to cure properly (which, with the new paints is not very long at all) the decals will be able to be removed without damaging the paint. I removed my HP/TQ Rating Decals already after the first install on newly painted hood when the numbers changed with no damage to the paint.

-Jay-
Old 05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help. You guys are awesome. I will tell him to not clear over them. Whats weird is the paint had cured for a week, it had been buffed 2 days before we put the ram air, trans am door emblems and WS6 emblem back on. I dunno how it took the paint back off with it. I just have terrible luck with my car I guess. She shall be ready soon though, pray for me though just incase haha