Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Wood Grain info or pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, I'm new to veneers, but not woodworking. I'm glad there's someone here I can ask about as you clearly have more knowledge than me on this subject.
In the back I'm going to need a 24x38" piece as well as smaller sections. I don't know about the door panels. One large piece per door or 2 smaller pieces and seam them together behing the door pull handle. I don't plan to shape it. It will mostly be flat surfaces, thank god.

If I have to, I can make the LCD bezel myself. I'm just not sure what would be cheaper. Me making it out of nice wood or making it out of cheap wood and having that company "cover" it. Right now I'm still in the "should I do it" phase. I think so.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looked ALRIGHT in a 3rd Gen Camaro, even some Firebirds, but in 4th Gen, the car isn't hairbanging enough

* 80's Hair Metal w00t *
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm trying to move away from the cheap looking "wood" trim from the older cars and into the "real" german wood type of look. I've never seen it done on a 4th gen, but it sure won't be hairbanging. I want Rolls Royce quality wood. Not anything tacked on.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Wow! They do good work. Thanks for the link. It looks like I can send them a part and they can add the wood finish to it for me. Now that's the quality I'm looking for. Check this out:

I don't know what it would cost, but it might be worth it for the trim bezel compared you using real cherry wood (or whatever I choose to use).
at first i was thinkin...wood grain??? but after seeing this pic it might look kinda neat...i would actually stay away from the light wood and stick with a dark finish like this peice here ^ and IMO i think this would look best and realy cool with a white pearl exterior color, tan leather and some limmo tint...like an escalade or something! That seems to me the only way it could work...but with all that black trim and red lining...and the black exterior it may look out of place...This wood thing looks to me like a complete committment...and the entire look of the car needs to compliment each individual detail in order for it to work..but thats just IMO! Then you could put ..."trans Am-alade" haha its a brave move...but daring to be different is what makes people famous...good luck

Last edited by TUMBLRws6; 05-08-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it would look good, but only if it is done right. It looks like you are moving in the right direction tho.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've come up with another version of the door panel.
Instead of a big slab of wood, just run a strip across the top.

What do you guys think?
The other part of this idea is that I can do a similar strip in the rear speaker covers beside the rear seats. I'm not using them. I can wrap a large MDF panel with a perforated leather (or whatever the front doors have) to match the front door inserts and then run a matching strip of wood over it.

The whole reason for me doing this was based on these congas. I'm thinking of making 2 cylinders like this for my 2 12" subs. I would make them shorter and place them side by side. Maybe connect them with a big polished aluminum bracket. Have matching brackets on the outer side of each one to bolt it to the car. I'll have the subs firing up like twin cannons!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Or, I could use that big slab style like before and make the whole rear speaker opening from a solid piece as well. Eh, maybe.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm this should be interesting. Hope you go through with it, Id like to see the results.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm finding out that it's harder than it looks to make wood grain look good and not tacky. I guess that's why no one has done it before (except for those premade laminated pieces I attached in post #7 ).
Old 05-19-2006, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

is this some kinda joke?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
is this some kinda joke?
Can you just delete your post and move on to another thread. I'm working here.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Can you just delete your post and move on to another thread. I'm working here.

But on to work... I like the wood strip on the doors, but I'm not sure I like it carrying over to the rear speaker grills.

Please keep us updated.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the rear speakers are a bit too high to really blend in a strip. If I could maintain that gap above the wood on the door it would flow better.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

like I said? joke? gotta be!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIKE JONES< Grippen wood grain!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
like I said? joke? gotta be!
These kind of comments are insulting. Just delete your posts and move on to another thread. I'm working here.

Originally Posted by slick1851
MIKE JONES< Grippen wood grain!!!!!!!!!!!
What does that even mean? Maybe this thread isn't for you either.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sprayed1998, maybe I'm not being fair to you. So if I have all this intricate stained wood in the rear of the car (amp rack, PC and electronics cover with glass windows and twin wooden cylinder enclosures for the subs) should I not have any wood up front to balance it out? All wood in the rear, no wood up front? To me that doesn't seem right.

Kind of like painting your rear brake calipers red and leaving the front ones stock. Yes, if seen by themselves they both look good, but when you stand back you see that they don't match. It just seems like common sense that they should match. That's why I was wanting to have SOME kind of wood up front to help balance out the theme. Even if it's just a couple of pieces, it at least would help to continue the theme.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

I like yor idea about using a woodgrain to go for a new thing but i think if you really wanted to make it pop dont go for the cherry, go for a blackwood stlye, then it would really tie in with the whole iterior, i think the subtlety of that would add more class.

Also there are places that can do the painting to make it the wood you want. I live in nothern indiana's RV zone and we have a lot of places that do work for the maufacturers, but they also do single customer work too.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have no idea what painting would cost or know of anyone who can do it. I thought about using a veneer, but I may just make everything out of real solid wood. This is going to increase the costs so I won't be able to use anything exotic (exotic=expensive).
Did you mean this kind of blackwood?

Or this?
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...ackwood-lg.jpg

I'm open minded to the kind of wood, just as long as the stain is not a light color. For the stain I prefer something dark, maybe with a bit of red. I'm just going to have to look around and see what's available and not cost a lot. Luckily, stains are not very expensive, so I can tailor the color without too much respect to the actual wood I use.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-21-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

If you went for the stripe, I'd make sure it went low enough that there wouldn't be any of the original speaker grille on the bottom. I also think the stripe could use some kind of accent. Possibly a routered bead stained/painted black or some other complementary color. I liked the look of the full panels better though. The stripe looks "Camry," while the panel looks a lot more classy.

I'd probably go burl walnut and a mahogony stain. Maybe also stain it with a walnut or dark cherry to get the color deeper, then a few coats of laquer. If you went with the panel concept, you could also consider using complementary light/dark woods/stains on top/bottom and as accent on the speaker boxes.

Quick Reply: Need Wood Grain info or pics