Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need Wood Grain info or pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another idea, if you do end up using solid wood, as you say you have sufficient wood working experience, you could shape the top door panel at the arm rest (concave to better fit an arm), and give the panel even more of a custom look. Also, don't forget the little details in wood working. Finish the edges nicely, for instance, these details are what makes it look like Vanden Plas did it.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
I also think the stripe could use some kind of accent.
Well, with either a full panel or just a stripe, I would have a red Pontiac arrowhead airbrushed in the middle.

I could have it a slighty darker red so as to not stand out too much. I could also add small lettering saying "PONTIAC or TRANS AM" below it or both on either side with the arrowhead in the middle on the two. Then put the clear over the top of it. I could make it a bit larger as well.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a few pictures of a guy that had woodgrain in his T/A already. i fell in love with the look. lemme see if i can find them.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=interior+wood

it had shwayed in there (or what ever the hell it's called) it looked bitchin
Old 05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those are the stick-on pieces that you can buy. I'm trying not to use stick-on pieces. I'm trying for something more original.
I see he has a strip above the glovebox, kind of like my idea. That suede looks pretty good, too. I wonder if he wrapped the door panels in that? It would come in handy if you have cracks in them.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

i think it could look really good. im not diggin the stripe idea. suede with wood could look really good if executed properly. good luck, and i congratulate u for willing to try new things and not copying everybody else.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Based on that car with the white suede (along with gray and black), I could just take the easy way out and wrap my amp rack and sub tubes in suede. Then do a few pieces in suede up front (like the door panels, kill 2 birds with 1 stone ). Do it all in a matching color so that there is a theme that ties it all together. I kind of like the wood idea more, though.

I'm still welding up the amp rack/electronics enclosure right now. I'm a ways off from making the cover and sub enclosure. I wonder how suede would compare in price to wood. Wood = cost of the raw wood pieces and suede = material plus custom stitching. Now that I think about it, the stitching my be the most expensive part. So the wood route may actually be cheaper to do.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah suede! yeah i suck at spelling
Old 05-21-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just doesnt flow with the look of our cars, maybe granite that wood look much nicer or a blackish marbel.

Look at the GM DENLI my aunt has a granite dash thats very dark grey and looks really nice.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, when you start talking about marble and granite, your talking stone. I can't use real stone, obviously. I think the only way to get a stone look is to have a part sent out and a stone looking surface layer is added. My parts are going to be too large to do that. So I don't really know how it can be done.
Plus, I'm not sure that it CAN be done to wood. Plastic, yes, but wood, I'm not sure.

I'm sure I could wrap everything in carbon fiber, I've seen people do that for cosmetics, but I really don't like the carbon fiber look, so that's out.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

found this thot you might be interested
(camaro)go to page 5 of the "interior" link on the left
(trans am) bottom of first page on the "interior" link on left

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...t=117&ei=UTF-8
Old 05-28-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TUMBLRws6
found this thot you might be interested
(camaro)go to page 5 of the "interior" link on the left
(trans am) bottom of first page on the "interior" link on left
The stick on wood grain? Ehh, don't really care for it.

I figure I'm going to have to make a wood amprack, so using high quality wood wouldn't be that much more difficult. My other idea was to just make it from basic MDF and then cover it. I'm trying to decide what kind of vinyl or suede would look good over the amp rack, subs, and door panel inserts. I could go with something that matches the stock color or something very different. I still haven't decided yet.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/515531-need-interior-accent-color-black-car-charcoal-interior.html
So wood or soft material? I don't know right now.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like I will be doing a wood grained theme again. Sub enclosures, amp inserts, wood grian steering wheel and a few other pieces to tie it all together. I'll post more details tomorrow.

Last edited by JasonWW; 02-03-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

lol I forgot about this thread, I always wondered if you went through with it.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow for a second i though i was back in 1993.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think anyone will see a throwback from a bygone era. This is going to be badass. All real wood, no fake imitation stuff.

What really got me back into this are the subwoofer enclosures I'm going to use. I ditched my whole amp rack design and came up with something very different. I will be getting some 13" raw ash conga drum shells. I will mount some 12" subs in them and then seal them up. They will be on the rear deck, but notched to sit fairly low. I'll stain and clear them when I'm done. It will really be the focal point of the car. Here's a pic of the idea.

OK, so I have the wood enclosures, then I remembered this old idea of mine to do a wood theme. Now it makes a lot more sense. I figured I would really need a wood steering wheel to get the right feel and it would be pretty hard to do. I got a second stock TA wheel then got some quotes to have it converted. It would be about $525 which is too pricey in my mind. Especially when I see them for other vehicles for under $300. So I picked up a Cadillac Escalade wheel for $150. I will adapt it to fit and mod the buttons to a RF remote to directly control the PC. I already have the airbag, it should swap over just fine as well.

I bet no ones seen a truck wheel in an f-body before, much less a wood grained one. Here is the actual wheel I bought:

I will be getting it soon. Hopefully the color will work well as I'm not 100% sure what color it actually is. As long as it's charcoal to black it will work. GM black isn't real dark on these wheels. I should be able to have the airbag color matched to it.

I came up with a new amprack design as well. I got some JBL GTI 12" subs and they can handle a lot of power, so I was thinking of getting one of the big (13"x33") Rockford T15004 amps. It should give me 900W to each sub. The best part is I could veneer the front cover in a wood finish as well. I did up a PS of how it might look and frankly I'm blown away. Check this out:

Is that sic or what? I'll have it stretched across the back seat area. I have some links in my sig that show more info on the stereo stuff.

I'll still have the trim ring up front around the LCD made of wood, but I'm thinking of a new idea for the door panels.

Right now I have the monsoon panels that have the big pods in them. I'm thinking of swapping them for some non-monsoon door panels. Here is the best pic I could find:

It's basically the same, but without the big speaker pod. With this setup I can build the speaker out some and angle it for better sound as well as make the new pod out of wood. It will be a simple round pod, not like the factory unit.

I think with the black, charcoal and woodgrain it will look very nice and refined.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I figured I would really need a wood steering wheel to get the right feel and it would be pretty hard to do. I got a second stock TA wheel then got some quotes to have it converted. It would be about $525 which is too pricey in my mind. Especially when I see them for other vehicles for under $300. So I picked up a Cadillac Escalade wheel for $150. I will adapt it to fit and mod the buttons to a RF remote to directly control the PC. I already have the airbag, it should swap over just fine as well.

I bet no ones seen a truck wheel in an f-body before, much less a wood grained one. Here is the actual wheel I bought:

I will be getting it soon. Hopefully the color will work well as I'm not 100% sure what color it actually is. As long as it's charcoal to black it will work. GM black isn't real dark on these wheels. I should be able to have the airbag color matched to it.
I was able to fit the new wheel in place, but unfortunetly, GM made the truck wheel splines about 1-2 mm smaller in diameter so it's not going to fit without a LOT of mods. I was hoping I would be able to do a few small mods to make it fit. Oh well, I'll have to sell the wheel and airbag and send off one of my stock steering wheels to be converted.

It turns out the Escalade wheel I bought was slightly off in color. Here's a few pics of the wheel on the car, but with an altered color to match a little better.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

You're really going all out on this aren't you? Seems like its a lot of trouble.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck with the swap, but all I can think is Mike Jones!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not really a swap as the truck wheels don't fit. More of a conversion of the stock wheel. I'm going to have to sell my escalade wheel and airbag to help offset the cost of the wood conversion.

In person the wood is just awesome looking. When the sun hits it you see all the fine detail and a kind of rainbow of colors deep in the grain. I'm guessing it has to do with the stained oil in the wood. It's pretty sweet.

On the plus side, having one converted lets you choose the exact wood and color of stain as well as the exact leather you want. It will also have that fresh leather smell as well, I hope.

Quick Reply: Need Wood Grain info or pics