Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Do you want you car Lowered?
Yes, I want my car slammed!
63.90%
No, I want stock height so I don't bottom out.
36.10%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CULATR
WHATS THE HEATER HOSE MOD IN THE BACK ??? WAS INTERESTED BEING AS I HAVE A STOCK 94Z AND HAVE PRO-KIT SPINGS AND WAS TRYING OT FIGURE OUT ON THE SHOCKS AND ETC.....
I have the stock springs in the back but I removed the rubber spacer (from the top, goes between the spring and the frame) and replaced it with a piece of heater hose that slid snuggly over the first (top) coil (to keep it from being metal on metal)...
Old 05-14-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
I have the stock springs in the back but I removed the rubber spacer (from the top, goes between the spring and the frame) and replaced it with a piece of heater hose that slid snuggly over the first (top) coil (to keep it from being metal on metal)...
Man thats ghetto.... thats awesome though! I DIG IT!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

im just trying to come up with a good street drivnig car wiht eibach pro springs ? any ideas people? not to hi-jack this thread or nothing...just wanted to get some info from those who have eibach pro springs and all keep in mine i got a lt1 eng
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im tired of people who only drive their cars one day a week saying "yeah your car looks good you just need to lower it"

it makes me want to punch them in the mouth

its like saying, "yeah your girlfriend is hot, but she should be in stilettos when she goes for a 2 mile run." bottom line is not everybody has the same tastes, and not everybody wants to have a lowered car that they have to worry about forcably removing their headers from their motor every time they drive it. if somebody dosent want to lower their car leave them alone. we are tired of hearing it!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

W/o being confrontational Cop Car, I drive mine EVERY day. and park in a parking lot at work with at least 3 parking bumps in and out. Not everyone who lowers their car drives it only once a week....EASY on the sweeping generalizations....I put 15,000 miles on mine last year.....lowered.

...in regard to the "punch in the mouth" thing....glad we're online....take a spin in your car....do a couple holeshots, then rejoin the conversation... I have thought some people have been seemingly intolerant of those who haven't lowered. But they just want to "help" and throw in their $.02....kind of the reason we are on a public forum. We all just gotta keep our heads.

You do make a point about the girl thing though. Interesting comparison. There are some women who look good, but they ain't wearin' high heels. They don't like them...maybe it has to do with the "speedbump" on their man they are dealing with.....OOOOHHHHH..."that was just uncalled for I know"..
Old 05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car
im tired of people who only drive their cars one day a week saying "yeah your car looks good you just need to lower it"

it makes me want to punch them in the mouth

its like saying, "yeah your girlfriend is hot, but she should be in stilettos when she goes for a 2 mile run." bottom line is not everybody has the same tastes, and not everybody wants to have a lowered car that they have to worry about forcably removing their headers from their motor every time they drive it. if somebody dosent want to lower their car leave them alone. we are tired of hearing it!
DUDE I drive my car EVERYDAY.... 1.5 inch drop does NOT bottom out all the time. With my higher rate shocks it actually doesn't bottom out in some dips that it used to with the stock setup. You don't have a lowered car with proper shocks or you wouldn't be such a smart *** about it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Please try and keep this civil guys. There is no need to get upset over this. It's just a simple question and poll with no absolute right or wrong answer despite what some might think.

I think maybe RollTideTA hit on a good point. It may be that my stock shocks are shot or just suck and that may be why I bottom out as much as I do with the stock height. I still say that the fbody's with a major drop are not my cup of tea from an appearance standpoint but maybe better shocks would allow me to drop my car an inch or so without trashing my ground effects or undercarriage.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're right I overreacted a little bit.

But shocks do make all the difference according to people alot smarter than me.

I drive my car 40+ miles a day to and from work. The roads in alabama are horrible. My work has 2 big speed bumps and there are dips going into almost all the parking lots around here for drainage. There aren't any around that I can't get in with my car. I do not have to drive out of the way anywhere. The only thing that I have to do is slow down for speed bumps and take the steepest dips at an angle; something that I had to before I did the spring/shock swap anyways.

I have Pacesetter longtubes and full exhaust, eibach pro-kit & revalved bilstein HD shocks from stranoparts.com

I doubt the roads elsewhere could be much worse than here in the deep south.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
You're right I overreacted a little bit.
I was actually not looking to point any fingers at you or anyone in particular with my comment to keep it civil. I think your reaction was quite civil actually. I just didn't want this thread going down the wrong path and it seemed to be getting a little heated way before you posted.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

People really get revved up about the whole lowering, not lowering thing.

Guys who like their cars slammed will take any possible opportunity to tell someone their car "needs" to be lowered. Its not getting old, its BEEN old.

However, its nothing to get all pissed off about either. Its YOUR friggin' car. If you need everyone here to love it, then you'll have to follow everyone else's advice and mod your car the way they would like it. Then again, your not going to make everybody happy, anyway.

We definately need truthful comments here, positive and negative. You've just got to deal with it. If you think "lower that 4x4" is tired, try a thread full of "nice ride, man" "looks good" "cool car, now check mine out and return the compliments, then we'll suck each other's *****"
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Personaly when I lived in Chicago tehre was no way in hell I was going to lower my car. Potholes everywhere, huge dips and bumps in the street like you wouldnt believe, and of course my personal favorite is the "phantom" speed bumps on residential streets that hide in the shadows of trees (Bottomed out several times on those, stock height). I cringe to imagine what would be of my car if I drove around 2" lowered on those same steets.
Here in TX is probably the hilliest place Ive ever been, Ive had to slam on my brakes just to keep from putting the nose of my car into the base of a uphill slope. Some of which I would imagine are impossible to go up in a lowered car. Anyway IMO I can do without lowering my car, sure it looks great, but Ive had too many close calls at stock ride height to up the ante and tempt fate with a -2" handicap. lol
Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

"DUDE I drive my car EVERYDAY.... 1.5 inch drop does NOT bottom out all the time. With my higher rate shocks it actually doesn't bottom out in some dips that it used to with the stock setup. You don't have a lowered car with proper shocks or you wouldn't be such a smart *** about it."

This probably is the problem for most people.

If you lower the car but odn't get proper shocks matched to the spring rate, of course it will bottom out and ride like crap, scrape etc.

Eibach Pro's with stock decarbons is absolutely horrid. I drove like that for 2 months, then put on some real shocks ( bilsteins revalved to match the pros ) and it's night and day difference. Even what I posted above about ripping off the y-pipe on the highway at 65mph could happen to a stock height car.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

GOOD POINT!

I WONDER, if the reason some dropped people are bottoming out is due to crappy stock suspension????

I have Koni DA's, you saw my drop and I am having no problems (bottoming out)....
Old 05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Check out frrax.com for a while, or even the suspension section on this forum. Stock shocks SUCk for stock springs let alone any other spring.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

I'm on the fence on this topic. Of course I want to reduce my fender gap. But with Duals I get nerveous. They are tucked really well. I am able to fit a pop can under them, so I wouldn't go lower than 1". Plus not many are well suited for the drag strip.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't vote because you put slammed as one of the choices and "slammed" to me means lowered 3 inches or more. I want to lower my car but just an inch or whatever the SLP/Eibach packge gives. But yes I already have to be careful around Boston roads-shitty roads plus headers. Maybe I won't lower it now,
Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedWS601
I can't vote because you put slammed as one of the choices and "slammed" to me means lowered 3 inches or more. I want to lower my car but just an inch or whatever the SLP/Eibach packge gives. But yes I already have to be careful around Boston roads-shitty roads plus headers. Maybe I won't lower it now,
Ok, my wording was wrong. I meant "Yes, I want my car lowered".
Old 05-16-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok I voted
Old 06-27-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

To each his own. My car is lowered. Didnt do it all for looks. Wanted to run my car at willow springs when I was in Cali. THen drove my car all the way across the USA on HWY 40. No probs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. An F bod is an F bod whether it is slammed or stock. THey are all sweet *** rides
Old 06-27-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyway, to halfway answer teh pesudo question at the start of the topic:

its not that hard, you just slightly modify your driving style... after the first month or so, you dont even notice it anymore.
i drove around for years with a slammed 3rdgen (3rdgens have worse ground clearance then 4thgens, and more nose overhang)... i rarely scraped, even when i lived around dallas, but when i did, it was no big deal.. usually it was just the front airdam..... occasionally the exhaust touched, but still, no big deal. its not like im slamming it into things.

i still drove fast, i still enjoyed my car.

recently my ride height went up a couple inches because i swapped over to a full drag suspension.. with ~3" more clearance, i realized how i was driving differently to compensate for ground clearance issues... things like how i turned in, how i creeped over speedbumps, ect...

but honestly, you get used to driving either way.. so it really makes no diff...

Quick Reply: Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???