Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

paging master detailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paging master detailers

This is a couple ??'s for those with knowledge of different products.

I posted a little while back about a zaino problem...it was not sticking...seem to have gotten that fixed, it seems to be lasting. I just let it cure for like an hour per coat. Just an update....

However, lately, i have been getting more into detailing and actually seeing the different shines you can get from different products. I have to admit, Zaino does kinda make my finish look like its wrapped in saran wrap...very shiny, reflective, but not much past that. I have been looking around different boards and found differet combos, and what i really like is poorboys, P21S, and Clearkote products. I would actually like to apply glaze and such, Zaino needs none. I know that zaino is supposed to be the grand daddy of them all, but i dont buy it. What about all the other steps of prep work? Different level polishes, glazes and such.

Sorry for the rambling, but what i would like to know is if i ditched the Zaino and tried these other products, would i get the deep richness I am after? My color is Silver, which kinda limits me right there. Should i just stick with Zaino being that i have a bright metallic?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well give it a shot. I am a Zaino user, and then i did the same thing you did, i went and tryed some other products and you know what happend? It fucked up my black paint and I was not satisfied at all with these other products. Now, people told me the ol "you didn't use it right" believe me, I did use the prodect right. that was my experience, and it was a bad one. I stuck with all sorts of Zaino products and tried most of them. I am extremly happy with them and I continue to use em. They have all different types and steps for their products. but give other stuff I try too
Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Zaino is great for black/NBM cars... not sure how it works on the silver metallic compared to mothers polish, but I know a good clay polish and wax will bring out the metallic in any color.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

People thought I was crazy for saying I wasn't completely satisfied with Zaino's type of shine. Nice to know there's at least one other crazy person out there.

First off, which Zaino products are you using? Zane (no relation to Zaino) has suggested that Z2Pro seems to have resolved the "sterile", "lifeless", "plastic" look that I didn't like about Z2. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will when I run out of my current supplies. Also, as far as a glaze, I have used Z5 for that purpose, with good results.

As far as other products to try, I am a big fan of MOST of the Menzerna line. Their polishes and glaze have given me excellent results every time, but I'm not as happy with FMJ and the companion QD spray. For example:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=full+menzerna

The problem with FMJ and the spray is that they can be little hard to work with, and they don't spread as evenly as I would like.

Honestly, my best results have been with the following routine:
1) Menzerna Intensive Polish
2) Menzerna Final Polish 2
3) Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze
4) Blackfire All Finish Paint Protectant
5) Blackfire Detailing Spray

Blackfire keeps impressing me. It's very easy to use, gives excellent results, and has a great depth and life to it.

-Mike
Old 05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My process for my Bright Silver Metallic TA

(skipping the wash and clay stuff)

- Meg's #83 if needed.
- Meg's #82 - nice mild swirl remover polish
- Meg's #20 - I prefer #20 on light metallics, it brings out a bit more of the flake, in my opinion, compared to #21 ..
- Meg's nxt paste wax (optional, the #20 functions fine by itself, the paste just adds a little more depth.)

I use the NXT Speed detail for everyday maintainence, or #34 if I am looking for a bit more pop.

I have also seen really good results on our silver with Poor Boy's .. but I don't remember specifically what was used.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Zaino works well on SSM! :-)

JasonG
Old 05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

It can be said of detailing just like it can be said of painting a car:
"It will only come out as well as the prep work"

Waxes, polishes, sealants, etc only deal with the surface of your paint. If you are putting them on paint that is in desperate need of some attention (swirl marks, scratches, oxidation, contaminents, etc)...they all you are trying to do is mask the problems and you'll be dissappointed in the results because it will still not look right.

It is like having a dent in your car and then just painting it without fixing the dent. Then you say...gee....the paint wasn't working right and it didn't come out right because all you have is a dent with paint.

You always want to start with the least damaging/abrasive method necessary. If that doesn't work....move down to the next more agressive measure.
1) Quick Detailer
2) Wax, polish, sealant
3) Paint Cleaner (Clay bar, etc)
4) Mild polishing compound (Swirld mark remover, ScratchX, SFX-2 I would highly recommend a PorterCable to anyone)
5) Medium compound (Rubbing compound fine cut, SFX-1...again PC)
6) Color Sanding. Same thing...start with the least necessary 2000 grit, 1500 grit, 1000 grit (wouldn't recommend going to 1000 grit on 93-02's unless you know what your doing...be VERY careful with the others.)
I would also put professional buffers in this category....but would not recommend it as it's very easy to burn through the clear.

This is just a basic overview....for whatever products you choose to use.

Obviously there is much more detail for each step....but when you find out how far you need to go....then research your particular product/method.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

everything is alll about the prep of the paint prior to any waxing or sealing. to do it right, what you need to do is a thorough wash, clay bar the entire car, thorough wash again. now for the polishing step. get a porter cable pc 7336 or 7424, some pads, and a good abrasive polish. polish will take off all your wax but its something that needs to be done. id recommend poorboys ssr 2.5. it should be looking alot better now and all swirls gone. now you can go ahead and begin with the layering process of waxes and sealants.
heres a writeup on the porter cable. its a necessary tool to do it the right way.
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=47

heres some pictures of my car for good measure.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...3085resize.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...3091resize.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...3094resize.jpg
the polishing is what is going to give you all that depth in your paint, not necess. the waxes. the wax will maintain it.

Quick Reply: paging master detailers